Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Hellcat Times in line with Modded Camaros?

My question is simple. With the Hellcat at 707 crank, I will assume about, 620 to 630 at the rear wheels. With the 8 speed automatic it ran 11.2 and 10.8 street tires and DR's.

Is that in line with modified automatic Camaros on this forum that have about the same rear wheel horsepower. I realize the charger probably has more weight, but lets see some comparisons from you guys in the know.

Please no charger bashing or silly stuff, just some honest comparos.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
just so you know, it's a challenger, not charger.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
My question is simple. With the Hellcat at 707 crank, I will assume about, 620 to 630 at the rear wheels. With the 8 speed automatic it ran 11.2 and 10.8 street tires and DR's.

Is that in line with modified automatic Camaros on this forum that have about the same rear wheel horsepower. I realize the charger probably has more weight, but lets see some comparisons from you guys in the know.

Please no charger bashing or silly stuff, just some honest comparos.

Thanks
Jim

I hate to tell ya but I give this thread about 10 reply posts and it will go all to hell and they will be practically fist fighting....Its fun to watch though
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Sorry I meant challenger

I hope this post does not go all to hell. I really think it could create some constructive ideas. The eight speed tranny may give the charger and advantage. Also it's interesting to see how an engineerd from the factory car compares to the wonderfully modded cars that we create. The factory has some warrantee guidelines to restrain them, but they have the full power and testing capabilities of the corporation.

We will see.

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I hope this post does not go all to hell. I really think it could create some constructive ideas. The eight speed tranny may give the charger and advantage. Also it's interesting to see how an engineerd from the factory car compares to the wonderfully modded cars that we create. The factory has some warrantee guidelines to restrain them, but they have the full power and testing capabilities of the corporation.

We will see.

Jim
You did it again!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
When you compare vehicles with similar horsepower, the factors go to weight and gearing. Currently the Mustang is the fastest, being the lightest with good power (GT500 having the second most now), while the ZL1 lags behind due to higher weight and the Corvette's existence causing GM to skimp on it's power. The Hellcat may bring SOMETHING to the table, as it has 707 and the 8 speed auto, but it will probably weigh 4300ish pounds. Give the ZL1 or the GT500 700hp and they will easily compete/win. The Dodge guys are even saying the Hellcat will beat the Z06... they're insane.

My guess is the Hellcat will perform about GT500 range.

Of course, with the "red fob black fob" thing that Dodge is doing, how many people are actually going to use all 707hp compared to how many will use the 500hp setting...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post

Of course, with the "red fob black fob" thing that Dodge is doing, how many people are actually going to use all 707hp compared to how many will use the 500hp setting...
I would guess the people that buy the hellcat will use it as a garage queen/weekend warrior type vehicle. in that case, they would use the 707hp key every time, I would think. at least I would. If someone were to buy it as a daily driver, I could see them using the 500hp key more often than not. either way, that idea is pretty bad ass.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
everyone talks about how it can run 10.8 on drag radials. heres a question, how many of you have been to the track and seen a ZL1 or GT500 run high 12's because the dude cant drive? i know i have. Just because it CAN run that doesnt mean your average joe will actually be able to run that time. these will be mid/high 11 second cars on street street tires and low 11 sec cars on DR's.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
everyone talks about how it can run 10.8 on drag radials. heres a question, how many of you have been to the track and seen a ZL1 or GT500 run high 12's because the dude cant drive? i know i have. Just because it CAN run that doesnt mean your average joe will actually be able to run that time. these will be mid/high 11 second cars on street street tires and low 11 sec cars on DR's.
Either way it's still about a full second ahead of a ZL1 stock for stock
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Jims Mongoose
Jim

all Great comments but

What I really want to see is what our Camaro's run at the track with drag radials, automatic and about 600 to 640 real wheel horsepower. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

you can check out the drag times section. see how fast they are running, and what mods they have.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
you can check out the drag times section. see how fast they are running, and what mods they have.
^^^What he said... we have a whole section for that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Okay thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
^^^What he said... we have a whole section for that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Since we're talking about modded cars here, what do you think the CHALLENGER will run with simple mods, or will it not be mod friendly without spending a lot of cash beefing things up?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote