Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #5027
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Well at least you are having fun. Maybe you should open an LLC (PQ Speed Shop) and right off some of this expense.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #5028
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I am seriously disappointed in the engine hoist usage. I was looking forward to seeing a chain, an undersized oak tree, some sort of homemade pulley, an old tire and a tractor for an engine hoist. Shame on you PQ!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #5029
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
What did the builders at the fest have to say?

And what the heck is that pretzeled piece of metal???
Pretty much said that it was either the wrong springs (unlikely) install error or a bad cam. There was nobody at the fest who I did not talk to about it. Pretty much agreeing the cam damage was valvetrain and not a result of any other problem.

That piece of metal is my little magnet on the end of a soft bend wire. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Well at least you are having fun. Maybe you should open an LLC (PQ Speed Shop) and right off some of this expense.
haha, I'd have to charge 2 dollars per hour labor as slow as I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Poor Camaro. Sad pics. Hope you can get that baby up & running very soon.
Probably won't have it even by next fest. It'll be a while to save the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
That's what I would call major surgery! A lot of metal shavings in that pan can't be good!
Thing is I can't find metal anywhere else.

It obviously came from the cam. I think the rotating assembly is just fine. Filter might have caught it all. However those cam bearings scored up like that might disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
Can't wait to see the finished product.
Me too. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
I am seriously disappointed in the engine hoist usage. I was looking forward to seeing a chain, an undersized oak tree, some sort of homemade pulley, an old tire and a tractor for an engine hoist. Shame on you PQ!
I freaking bought that damn thing. lol

The only place I found that rented them was always out. I could not commit to reserve it because I never knew when I'd be free.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #5030
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I had bought a nice hoist when I built my truck. A friend "borrowed" it. That was 9 years ago. Not sure where it is now.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #5031
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
I had bought a nice hoist when I built my truck. A friend "borrowed" it. That was 9 years ago. Not sure where it is now.
I h ave done in on a tree before. Buddies Silverado.

Ratchet, tree, and push the truck away once high enough. hahaha
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #5032
gomezcorp
CWOARMY

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
1st off I like/funny you went from a plate of Bills Fan to Bills Suk Thanks for the posts, I cancelled my Savini wheels that were black and inferno orange to match my Summit white 2011 SS and Orange stripes. I heard from a couple others referencing Savini lack of support and expensive crap, thanks.
gomezcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #5033
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezcorp View Post
1st off I like/funny you went from a plate of Bills Fan to Bills Suk Thanks for the posts, I cancelled my Savini wheels that were black and inferno orange to match my Summit white 2011 SS and Orange stripes. I heard from a couple others referencing Savini lack of support and expensive crap, thanks.
Way too many choices for better wheels. Savini wheels are not meant to be used. Just looked at.

The Bills Suck plate is a photoshop by Mr. Wyndham here on the site. lol
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #5034
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezcorp View Post
I cancelled my Savini wheels that were black and inferno orange to match my Summit white 2011 SS and Orange stripes. I heard from a couple others referencing Savini lack of support and expensive crap, thanks.
You made the right move by cancelling the Savini wheels. They are garbage. I got burned by them too.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #5035
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Randy, I know you know this, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways.....

If the motor will be apart for an extended time, do you have all the nuts/bolts/etc oiled, tagged, bagged and boxed? In 365 days a loose rocker arm can travel all the way to the moon (might as well be the moon, I never saw it again)

How efficient is the maggie on bigger cu. in. motors?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #5036
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:

If the motor will be apart for an extended time, do you have all the nuts/bolts/etc oiled, tagged, bagged and boxed? In 365 days a loose rocker arm can travel all the way to the moon (might as well be the moon, I never saw it again)

I think the maggie is good up to about a 419. I considered keeping it on the 427. I was told that it would work, but that is on the edge of the cubes it can handle. That's why I went TT with the 427.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #5037
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

It's all bagged and tagged. I have sprayed the parts a few times with WD-40 including the cylinder walls so they don't start to rust in case I put it back together and run it til I get my new motor.

Jamie believes that the Maggie, on a 419, would create too high IATs and pull timing. And stroking it to a lower compression would make it even worse.

I could actually wait on my fuel system upgrades if I stayed at 376 if I wanted and keep the boost down but be forged and ready to bump it up to 12 and keep up. He was running up to 16 pounds and it wasn't the eventual demise of his motor. From what I understand, the guys going 419 on the Maggies are not getting as good of times because of that. Mid 10s instead of 9s. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to go 9s, my flywheel back can not take it, but might want to later if I come in to some nice coin. hahahaha A chiller might do the trick too. But I don't want to mess up the Maggie running it it like that.

I still have some thinking to do. And plenty of time to do it. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I think the maggie is good up to about a 419. I considered keeping it on the 427. I was told that it would work, but that is on the edge of the cubes it can handle. That's why I went TT with the 427.
Yup
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #5038
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
This is purely cosmetic, but have you thought about having the bay cleared while the engine is out? Chevy just started doing that more recently (not sure which year), but the 2010s didn't have it. Just a thought.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #5039
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I h ave done in on a tree before. Buddies Silverado.

Ratchet, tree, and push the truck away once high enough. hahaha
Redneck engine hoist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Way too many choices for better wheels. Savini wheels are not meant to be used. Just looked at.

The Bills Suck plate is a photoshop by Mr. Wyndham here on the site. lol
Did you catch that pre-season game against the Colts? Might have a team this year!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #5040
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
This is purely cosmetic, but have you thought about having the bay cleared while the engine is out? Chevy just started doing that more recently (not sure which year), but the 2010s didn't have it. Just a thought.
That is one of the 'Bright Sides" I've been looking at. I get to clean, paint and dress the engine bay as I put it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Redneck engine hoist!

Did you catch that pre-season game against the Colts? Might have a team this year!
One can only hope. We'll see.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle