Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

While yes it could happen, if a biker did so he will be charged with Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and possibly Murder 1. The SUV driver is in fear for his life and the life of his loved ones and use deadly force is legally justified especially since they have already tried attacking him once before. If a biker also pulled a weapon, the biker does not have this justification and will be spending a long time in prison.
I honestly could care less what he is charged with.
My point was that i would not want anyone else pointing a gun back at my family. I would much rather take a beating at that point.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Wrong. One gun shot is all it would have taken to stop them.
That's what you think. And one of those bikers could have had a gun and fired back or circled the vehicle and retaliated. Bikers had him surround, there is no way a a gun would have changed this scenario. They could have also grabbed the wife or kid. That's all you need to is to escalate the scene even more with a gun shot.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
That's what you think. And one of those bikers could have had a gun and fired back or circled the vehicle and retaliated. Bikers had him surround, there is no way a a gun would have changed this scenario. They could have also grabbed the wife or kid. That's all you need to is to escalate the scene even more with a gun shot.
No, that's what I know.

In a case of mob mentality, they will only do what they think is safe. Once you show them that their life is in danger if they continue they will stop. If he had shot the one that broke his window and stayed in the SUV, they would not have come near him after that.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #32
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
You are EXACTLY correct. In any scenario, the LAST thing you do is pull a weapon or fire one. In order to fire the gun, we would have to exit the car or at least roll a window down. This driver did exactly what he should have done. Plan and execute an escape.

One great life point, always have an exit when in a car. Pull into the right or left most lane with at least a car length empty in front of you. If someone approaches, you can drive off. This is far better than firing a weapon.

The average person who fires a weapon in self defense pays $27,000 in legal fees. You will be brought in front of a grand jury so you need a lawyer. The other person or family of that person WILL sue you for wrongful death resulting in civil defense attorney fees. If you don't think I am wrong google it. Castle doctrine will not prevent the civil suit.

You should always de-escelate first, retreat second, shoot last.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #33
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
You are EXACTLY correct. In any scenario, the LAST thing you do is pull a weapon or fire one. In order to fire the gun, we would have to exit the car or at least roll a window down. This driver did exactly what he should have done. Plan and execute an escape.

One great life point, always have an exit when in a car. Pull into the right or left most lane with at least a car length empty in front of you. If someone approaches, you can drive off. This is far better than firing a weapon.

The average person who fires a weapon in self defense pays $27,000 in legal fees. You will be brought in front of a grand jury so you need a lawyer. The other person or family of that person WILL sue you for wrongful death resulting in civil defense attorney fees. If you don't think I am wrong google it. Castle doctrine will not prevent the civil suit.

You should always de-escelate first, retreat second, shoot last.
In Florida, the Stand Your Ground Law DOES prevent the civil suit. I agree that shooting is the last option, but it resides above "take a beating by a mob and hope you and your family don't die."
Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin320 View Post
In Florida, the Stand Your Ground Law DOES prevent the civil suit. I agree that shooting is the last option, but it resides above "take a beating by a mob and hope you and your family don't die."
Stand your ground will prevent them for suing you for damages inflicted in the shooting. It will not prevent a wrongful death suit. It is happening how in the Zimmerman case.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #35
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
This may have been true years ago but not now.

If you fire a gun and it is found to be in self defense, you pay zero.

The only time you are brought in front of a jury is if there is a question about if it is self defense or not. If it is deemed as self defense, the state then pays all of your legal fees, and some states pay you extra to cover any lost wages.

All 50 states now have laws that prevent any and all civil suits brought against you if you kill someone in self defense. Yes the Castle Doctrine doesn't itself prevent civil suits but you are covered because it is considered self defense.

Feel free to look it up.

If you want an actual example look at the George Zimmerman trial. Florida paid 100% of all legal fees and lost wages. The Martian family then tried to sue him for wrongful death but failed because he is protected from all civil suits brought against him.

Quote:
Stand your ground will prevent them for suing you for damages inflicted in the shooting. It will not prevent a wrongful death suit. It is happening how in the Zimmerman case.
It's not happening now, it's already happened and already been shot down.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
Pip

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
There's several new updates and pictures about this at the NY Daily News at http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1472419. Mainly, the NYPD arrested 15 bikers, confiscated 55 motorcycles and issued 68 summonses for members of the "Hollywood Stuntz" gang. Despite what the NYPD said at first, one biker was injured and might end up paralyzed. The mother of the biker injured said "They're making the riders out to be bad people. They're not. If the driver of the Range Rover would have stopped, none of this would have happened."
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Oh my
Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #38
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
this is what happens when people make bad decisions.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #39
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
No, that's what I know.

In a case of mob mentality, they will only do what they think is safe. Once you show them that their life is in danger if they continue they will stop. If he had shot the one that broke his window and stayed in the SUV, they would not have come near him after that.
Disagree, if you shot a friend of mine while sittin in your car I would be infuriated. You can bet I would do evyhing I could to make sure you payed. And a pistol with a few round wouldnt stop me and my mob of 30 for coming after you.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
Quackersacker

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
This may have been true years ago but not now.

If you fire a gun and it is found to be in self defense, you pay zero.

The only time you are brought in front of a jury is if there is a question about if it is self defense or not. If it is deemed as self defense, the state then pays all of your legal fees, and some states pay you extra to cover any lost wages.

All 50 states now have laws that prevent any and all civil suits brought against you if you kill someone in self defense. Yes the Castle Doctrine doesn't itself prevent civil suits but you are covered because it is considered self defense.

Feel free to look it up.

If you want an actual example look at the George Zimmerman trial. Florida paid 100% of all legal fees and lost wages. The Martian family then tried to sue him for wrongful death but failed because he is protected from all civil suits brought against him.

It's not happening now, it's already happened and already been shot down.

Draco not the case. *******'s parents could bring a civil lawsuit.You are not protected in all fifty states. You can be sued by anyone for anything, doesnt mean they will win.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #41
Tcnj80

Drives: Black Jeep srt8, IOM 2013 2ss/rs.
Quote:
Disagree, if you shot a friend of mine while sittin in your car I would be infuriated. You can bet I would do evyhing I could to make sure you payed. And a pistol with a few round wouldnt stop me and my mob of 30 for coming after you.
Even if your friend was shot due to their own criminal behavior?
Tcnj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #42
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Therein lies the problem ..... Mob mentality, blind rage...

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote