Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
2010 Twin Turbo "SYCK SS" - Chicago

You will see my website mentioned in all videos www.ParkingGaraJ.com - it's an auto enthusiast website for any make and model cars. All are welcome! come check it out!

How "SYCK SS" currently sits - 11.092 @ 126.63 - 1.779 60ft

Quick little burnout with new DR's

Current mods: 622 whp 596 ft/lbs of tq @ 9psi
5% window tint- 35% on front windows
American Racing Torg-Thrust M wheels 8.5x20 & 10x20
tinted side markers and tail lights
Twin 72mm turbos- rear mounted
65lb fast injectors
LS9 MAP sensor for boost readings
c5 corvette IAT sensor relocation
ZL1 Fuel Pump
ADM FPCM
tial 48mm wastegate and BOV
Turbosmart manual boost controller set at 8.5 psi
speed inc tune x 2 ;-)
AEM Water/METH injection kit with 550c nozzle
Mcleod RXT twin disc clutch kit
Tick performance remote bleeder
Separate clutch reservoir (thank you randy!)
LG motorsports short shifter (thank you nick!)
DSS 1400 hp axles
18in zo6 wheels wrapped in nitto nto5r 305/45/18 radials- track setup

futures plan:
BMR bushing kit
BMR springs
BMR sway bars
BMR lower control arms
Basically BMR everything haha
precision turbos -6262 race edition
FAST intake
ported TB
rebuilding the bottom end
front mount intercooler
and I'm sure there will be more.

heres a little timeline....

There was talk about a new "camaro" that was going to be debuted in the new transformers movie. As soon as i saw bumblebee for the first time it was love at first site. I turned to my best friend and said, "I don't care what it takes, i will own that car." The very next day I drove down to the dealer and asked how i could get one and they asked for a deposit and told me i would be the first one they would call when it would be ready to order. and sure enough in late 2008 i got my initial call to get my original order placed. The funny part was while i was at the dealer i was listing the options and costs of everything because of how much research i was doing. They still didn't have anything in there system and they were amused at how much i really loved this car. So my initial order was placed, BLACK ON BLACK 2SS M6 RS APPEARANCE PACKAGE, and then more waiting began. And after all of the quality holds and recalls she finally arrived on.....

June 1st, 2009- my "syck ss" was delivered...
i was the first allocation at the dealer where i purchased my car and was actually sitting at the dealer finalizing the paperwork because they were informed that my car was at the train stating ready to be delivered. But they didn't expect it to come for a couple days after the first. But as i was sitting by the window i saw the big ol trailer pull up and there was my car sitting there waiting for me. As the driver was unloading my car, several people actually pulled into the parking lot to take pictures of it. It was a good feeling and a start to a really nice journey.

this is just part of the break in process ;-)

Then i had a nightmare come true only 2 months after i purchased my car. A driver swerved in front of me and to avoid a head on collision i tried avoiding him and ended up jumping a curb, clipping a tree, and really messed up my suspension in the rear. on a 2 month old dream car i waited over 3 years for :-(

to fix the damage i basically had to have the whole passenger side of my car repainted. this is a quick glimpse at what happened

sooooooooooooooooo since i had it in the shop already i took the time to get my wheels powder coated black, debadged the car, tint the sidemarkers, tint the tailights, and the windows to get the current result we have of this...

Just a few weeks before i got into this little mishap, speed inc helped tune my car for me and i also removed my mufflers. It was a very cheap and easy mod that gave the car a much better sound then stock. But while at speed inc they were able to get me some base line numbers before i carried on with the next part of my journey. Bone stock I put down 375whp and 389ft/tq. Thats not bad at all, plus it was very warm out when they did the tuning. So i made it a must to at least get a base line set of times at the track.

i threw the times slips out but i was landing right around mid to low 13's at 108-109. as you can hear no traction at all

Last edited by xjer22x; 06-11-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: complete overhaul
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
That looks really cool. Betcha that surprises more than a few people !!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Did you dyno it yet?
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
There is some serious plumbing and engineering going on in here...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
xjer22x

nope it isnt complete yet. should be done mid day tommorrow and then will be dyno tuned on tuesday.

and yeah there is some very nice engineering here. its a little more simple then the STS which i like. there will only be a total of 3 couplers through the whole charged pipe which will be great because i hate when pipes pop off under pressure.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks great, can't wait to see the dyno numbers.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
xjer22x

So i made an oath to one of my friends long before i even had the car, that i was going to have it twin turbod. no one really thought i was able to do it but i set out on the next chapter of my journey which was just that. So the next year and a half i started saving and saving to allow me to make my dream come true. i was very fortunate enough that one of my close buddies had a set of turbos that he originally purchased for a different project that he no longer needed. So he offered them to me and i jumped all over it. This is what he let me have

after the long long wait i finally got to talking to my man ChrisMan from www.CMRACINGONLINE.com, and we started tossing ideas around on how we wanted to set it up. I like to be a little different so i was trying to convince him to do a rear mounted setup but he wanted them somewhere else. After playing with possible fitments we agreed on the rear mounted setup.

The new camaros have HUGE mufflers that are just begging to be removed. so it made it very easy to fit a pair of turbos right where those garbage cans came from.

so it is a very simple design actually... all ChrisMan did was Seperate my stock exhaust enough to fit in a 3inch charge pipe. The turbos, being mounted where the mufflers used to be, would run two 2 inch charge pipes that meet right into a 3inch pipe that runs down the center of the car. Then it runs up the drivers side and curves around into the intake. simple right. here are some pictures of the pipes

Now this is a very interesting concept that we have thrown into my setup. And a lot of people critique this because it is different.

its obvious that a turbo setup requires some sort of way to regulate boost. The most popular way in a high HP car is external wastegates that get mounted on the exhaust side to allow exhaust gasses to bypass the turbos when desired boost levels are reached. SOOOOOOOOOO what we did was place the wastegate on the charge pipe. It still functions the exact same way... as soon as my desired boost level is reached it opens up and releases the charge pipe pressure. The benefits of this are that when changing gears, the turbos dont slow down as much so there is absolutely NO LAG while shifting. This is a very different setup but essentially works he exact same way. Yes it might shorten the overall life of the turbos from lets say 10 to 3-4 years. But in the end does not hurt anything. So The wastegate on my setup is mounted just next to the trans and is set with a 5-6lb spring

he also created a new Trans brace as well because the previous one was very large. It is extremely sturdy and actually improved the stiffness of the trans as well. A little less play

So this is one of the final drafts before we wrapped the exhaust and finished all the welds

So the kit works very well we just ran into one issue... the oil feed and return of the turbos. Due to the fact that the turbos are found all the way in the back, not only do you have to pump oil to them, but you have to return it to the engine as well. So luckily the stock oil pump has a fitting that allowed us to tap into that which pumped plenty of oil to the turbos. Now we had to pump oil back to the oil pan. In the picture above you can see where the two oil drain lines meet at a "Y" adapter, then go into that little pump. Well that definitely wasn't pushing enough. after running for awhile the turbos began to smoke. Chrisman was able to locate a kick@$$ scavenger pump that has enough flow to get it back to the front so we were able to beat that problem after a little bit of testing.

So now that we got the kit finalized it was that time to tackle the fueling system.

My original goal was between 500-550whp, so for that i would need new injectors and a way to feed those injectors. So i pulled out the stock 42lb injectors and dropped in a set of FAST 65LB injectors which were more than enough juice. After doing this it was time for a trip down to speed inc to get this bad boy tuned. I wanted a very conservative tune because i do daily drive the car. I was pretty happy with the numbers. At the time i took it in there was a 5-6lb spring in the wastegate and i netted 535whp. But Jim over there brought to my attention a few things. 1) he was having trouble reading my MAF so the A/F was very rich, and 2) in the top of 3rd and 4th gear my IAT were very high due to lack of intercooler. But obviously those temps usually get hot on a dyno due to lack of air flow.

So with a little bit of research and some quick thinking on Chrisman's part, it turned out my MAF was bad so we ended up swapping it out. These were the initial results from the first tune.

This was the day before the full tune. I had a base flash tune in and was only boosting about 2-3psi

[video=youtube;8SVGwhyHslE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SVGwhyHslE[/video]

Sooo also shortly after replacing the MAF, i wanted to make sure that i wouldnt lose any fuel pressure. so i added a Kenne Bell BOOST-A-PUMP. have it set to kick on @ 3psi and have that sucker turned up as high as it goes to make sure i dont melt any pistons. Never want to see her run lean.

Now this is a little video about a month after the tune. this was at about 8.5psi. at this level i made 635whp & 640tq

[video=youtube;ZYE7hCaQfA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYE7hCaQfA0[/video]

SO THIS IS WHEN ONE OF THE SADDEST THINGS HAD TO HAPPEN. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, THERE WERE SOME FAMILY EMERGENCIES THAT I HAD TO HELP OUT WITH FINANCIALLY. IN NOVEMBER OF 2011, I TRADED IN MY CAMARO FOR A 2011 SUBARU WRX. THE DEALER WORKED WITH ME VERY WELL AND GAVE ME A HELL OF A DEAL ON TRADE IN FOR MY EXTREMELY MODIFIED CAR. IT ALLOWED ME TO HELP THE FAMILY OUT WHICH WAS VERY IMPORTANT SO I HAD TO DO IT

BUT THEN IN MARCH OF 2012 THINGS TURNED AROUND FOR ME. THE FAMILY WAS DOING BETTER AND I WENT BACK TO THE SAME SUBARU DEALER AND REQUESTED TO TRADE IN MY NEW 2011 WRX FOR MY VERY OWN CAMARO. THE DEALER WAS VERY SURPRISED TO SEE ME. BUT THE WERE A LITTLE EXCITED TO GET RID OF THE CAMARO AS IT WAS VERY HARD TO ADVERTISE A HEAVILY MODIFIED CAMARO. SO LUCKY ME GOT A DECENT DEAL AGAIN AND GOT MY BABY BACK

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE WAS THAT THE DEALERSHIP DID A LITTLE WORK ON MY CAR AND SWAPPED OUT THE TURBOS AND DETUNED IT TO MAKE IT MORE "STREETABLE" BECAUSE THEY SAID IT WAS TOO SCARY TO DRIVE... SO I HAD SOME CATCHING UP I NEEDED TO DO NOW....

Last edited by xjer22x; 02-14-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
xjer22x

So after getting the car back, i added on a turbosmart manual boost controller to bring the boost up a little to around 8-9psi. cleaned up some of the cruddy work the dealer did, and took it right back to speed inc to try and get things corrected.

So it turns out the dealer really screwed up and i was glad there was only 100 additional miles on my car compared to when i traded it in. Even though i added a few things to give the car more power before i traded it in, The initial dyno pull showed well under 500whp of power and the car was running so rich it almost had gas dripping out the tail pipes. so this is all that was different compared to the previous dyno tune so you can see the result difference.
*KB BAP
*BOOST CONTROLLER
*NEW MAF SENSOR
*AND NEW DEALER INSTALLED TURBOS

these are the results

Overall i was happy and the car was driving much better then it was before i traded the car in, so in the end i am extremely happy.

that she was back in my possession for GOOD, i was able to continue the modding... the next thing to go was the clutch. I was lucky to have the stock one last me a little over 20,000 miles so i really couldnt complain. After weeks of research and jumping between dozens of forums i was able to make a decision and go with a MCLEOD RXT TWIN DISC clutch kit. 1000hp capability... should hold up better than stock ;-)

Then shortly after that i figured since i was going to have the trans out, why not upgrade the shifter. The stock shifter really isnt that bad at all. But anything can be improved in reality, so i came across an awesome deal for a short shifter that i have been eyeing for awhile so i also added this to the collection around the same time as when i ordered my new axles as well. So i picked up a LG MOTORSPORTS shifter and DSS 1400hp axles.

The shifter is awesome because it only reduces the throw by about 25%. The nice thing about that is its just enough to give it a better feel, but not too much to where it requires more force to shift. So in my mind it was a perfect setup.

Last edited by xjer22x; 02-14-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
xjer22x

heres a quick video of me taking the car out a day before my tune.

im waiting for a nice day to get a shot now that its tuned.

twin turbo 2010 camaro
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
xjer22x

****UPDATE****
A lot has been done since the last time i was on here so i went ahead and updated my original post. i promised i will be updating this a lot more now. If you check out the beginning of the first post you will see why i was absent. Well enjoy! thanks for looking.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Pics please.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
xjer22x

Don't know why they fell out. I will load them again when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
This is absolutely SYCK
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
18 rims with turbos? does your kit come with a skid plate or do the turbos not hang that low?!?! im scrapping everything with 19in rims! what kind of rubber you got on those tires?

cant wait to see some pics of your ride!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote