Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
dplyttle

Drives: 2SS RS Black with Cyber Gray Stripe
2010 Camaro ECM a Restricted Part

So 8 days ago my car had a big FAIL and was running on reduced power. I had it towed to a local dealership (Putnam in Burlingame, CA). They changed the throttle body but were unable to solve the problem.

They consulted the GM Engineers and were told to swap out the ECM. The maintenance person called me and told me it should be in within two days. I call back two days later and she tells me the part has not arrived. I call the next day and she tells me it is a restricted part and their own people needed to get permission from GM to order the part.

I am, at this point utterly disgusted and head down to the dealership to get my rental car issued. She tells me that they do not know when the part will arrive. I ask if it will be two weeks before I get my car and she says it may be that long.

I am driving a crappy HHR and seriously thinking of ditching the Camaro or an Infinity G37.

This is why I have not purchased an American made vehicle since 1989. Something told me to not do it but my love for the Camaro over rode my better judgment. Now I am stuck researching California Lemon Laws and I am thrilled to see I will have to get an attorney to get what is rightfully mine if GM continues to FAIL.
dplyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Okay, now, how many times has this happened?

You have been given a vehicle to use in the mean time. How does this provide an undue hardship?

Sorry, about the initial problem. But, think straight about what is going on.

Threatening to play the " I need an attorney card." is a bit over reacting here.

Better the car protects the vitals than blowing up somewhere and really doing some major damage.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Okay, now, how many times has this happened?

You have been given a vehicle to use in the mean time. How does this provide an undue hardship?

Sorry, about the initial problem. But, think straight about what is going on.

Threatening to play the " I need an attorney card." is a bit over reacting here.

Better the car protects the vitals than blowing up somewhere and really doing some major damage.

THIS.

S^%T happens OP. New cars break once and awhile. They will get it taken care of for you. (It does seem crazy they can't get a part before then)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Restricted part just means they have to dial a phone number to order it. Shouldn't be that earth shattering. Too many dealer just throw ECMs at every electrical problem, so they make sure they are doing the diagnostics correctly before sending the part.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
This is the guys second thread on the same problem. No matter what happens, he will be in a G37, regardless.

Nothing they could do will be right. Sheesh.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
dplyttle

Drives: 2SS RS Black with Cyber Gray Stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
This is the guys second thread on the same problem. No matter what happens, he will be in a G37, regardless.

Nothing they could do will be right. Sheesh.
Don't get me wrong. The dealership was great at the outset. Friendly and helpful people who offered up a rental at the time. I declined but now that I am back to work (summer vacation is over) I need a vehicle.

My upset comes from the fact that I have owned eight cars since 1989 and none of them have had an issue like this one (Toyotas and Nissans). Further, every one of the service departments was able to get parts for the cars, and a few of them have needed ECMs replaced after being driven for over 50,000 miles.

The issue here is I have paid $48,000+ CASH for the car, owned it since early March and only driven it 2700 miles.

The dealership said they needed permission to request the ECM. That I get. What I do not understand is the length of time to receive the part. Then we still do not know if the replaced ECM will do the trick.

Additionally, I LOVE this car but I do not want to have a vehicle that is going to present itself as an issue. If you had a pair of shoes that were constantly malfunctioning/ defective and you paid a lot of money for them you would be upset and more than likely switch brands.

I truly hope the dealership can rectify the presenting difficulties. However, I also want to be prepared for the inevitability that the car cannot be repaired.
dplyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
You paid $48,000 for the car? Whoa. I've heard this story before from other people. Their Asian car is a piece of crap and it's ok because they were so smart for buying foreign. The buy a big 3 car, have a problem and are screaming mad and never buying American again. Every manufacturer of every product turns out a lemon now and then. 1 ECM issue does not a lemon make. Good luck with that lawyer and the massive depreciation from $48000 when you trade for your new car. Peace
Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You can sell it to me for 25k and go get a new toyota
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
$48,000???????????

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dplyttle View Post
Don't get me wrong. The dealership was great at the outset. Friendly and helpful people who offered up a rental at the time. I declined but now that I am back to work (summer vacation is over) I need a vehicle.

My upset comes from the fact that I have owned eight cars since 1989 and none of them have had an issue like this one (Toyotas and Nissans). Further, every one of the service departments was able to get parts for the cars, and a few of them have needed ECMs replaced after being driven for over 50,000 miles.

The issue here is I have paid $48,000+ CASH for the car, owned it since early March and only driven it 2700 miles.

The dealership said they needed permission to request the ECM. That I get. What I do not understand is the length of time to receive the part. Then we still do not know if the replaced ECM will do the trick.

Additionally, I LOVE this car but I do not want to have a vehicle that is going to present itself as an issue. If you had a pair of shoes that were constantly malfunctioning/ defective and you paid a lot of money for them you would be upset and more than likely switch brands.

I truly hope the dealership can rectify the presenting difficulties. However, I also want to be prepared for the inevitability that the car cannot be repaired.
I don't blame you, I'd be pissed too.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
so you get 8 cars and no prob? then your doing fine..what if you had 8 american cars and no breakdowns...then 1 car..(lets say toyota) goes down...then would life be better?? good luck with your ecm..
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you are REALLY interested in your Camaro, then be patient. Yes the ECM is a difficult part and swapping it out is a huge deal. If I understand it properly the car won't run by simply changing it. If you aren't happy with the dealers service, please feel free to call GM Customer Service at 1-866-509-9090. Get an SR number and if it isn't resolved, PM me and I'll be glad to escalate your issue internally.

But if you are simply upset that you over paid and want to blame GM, I can't help you. I would suggest that you zoom over to the enthusiast site for the Infinit and listen to how many perfect fault free cars they are talking about.

No excuses as we try to deliver cars that have no issues at all. That is our objective. Unfortunately the modern automobile is a hugely comlex mechanism and sometimes we don't meet our objective.

If you are a true Camaro enthusiast, give it a bit.

If you are just a guy who jumped on the coolest new car and overpaid to do it and want to scream GM/American car fail, then I can't help you much. But I did work for Nissan, I have friends that are still there and you know what? There cars have this same problem from time to time.

You've got 80 some posts, so I'm hoping you are an enthusiast, love the Camaro and will simply call the phone number I gave you above.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you are REALLY interested in your Camaro, then be patient. Yes the ECM is a difficult part and swapping it out is a huge deal. If I understand it properly the car won't run by simply changing it. If you aren't happy with the dealers service, please feel free to call GM Customer Service at 1-866-509-9090. Get an SR number and if it isn't resolved, PM me and I'll be glad to escalate your issue internally.

But if you are simply upset that you over paid and want to blame GM, I can't help you. I would suggest that you zoom over to the enthusiast site for the Infinit and listen to how many perfect fault free cars they are talking about.

No excuses as we try to deliver cars that have no issues at all. That is our objective. Unfortunately the modern automobile is a hugely comlex mechanism and sometimes we don't meet our objective.

If you are a true Camaro enthusiast, give it a bit.

If you are just a guy who jumped on the coolest new car and overpaid to do it and want to scream GM/American car fail, then I can't help you much. But I did work for Nissan, I have friends that are still there and you know what? There cars have this same problem from time to time.

You've got 80 some posts, so I'm hoping you are an enthusiast, love the Camaro and will simply call the phone number I gave you above.

I had a 2007 Audi that I traded in on my Camaro... My Audi went through oil like crazy, they said it was normal for the turbo.... (a quart a month)

The brakes were replaced twice, the ECM once, the entire AC unit replaced, and had to have the stereo replaced.... When the Audi was traded in it had 27,000 miles...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
I seen this personality type before. Lemme guess, your a doctor or a lawyer. Maybe a professor. You dollars are larger than everone elses. Your time is so much more valuable than everyone elses. And how dare they sell you a car that could possibly have a bad ECM (that was build by a subcontractor by the way). 1 in a 1000 failures( which is 0.1%) and you are ready to damn GM to utter failures as car designers.

Sounds like maybe Chevy and Toyato-mato may be very much beneath you. May I suggest BMW, Jag maybe?
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote