Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
New Camaro Owner- Love/hate

Last month I bought my first new car in more than 10 years. 2013 Victory Red, 2SS, RS, Black Rally Stripes, Hurst short throw, Dual mode. Overall, I love the car. Now i'm still in the break in period, but I find there are a few things that bug me and one thing I hate. I'm not wild about CAGS, or Hill start assist. The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You're first post is supposed to be introducing yourself and giving us pics of your car. Not bashing the Pirellis
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
They aren't likely to just replace them free or at a discount. They will likely give you a decent price (my local dealer will price match) on new tires, but you will be out of pocket for new tires. I don't see that they are bad enough to simply replace them, but it's your car and your tires.

The P-Zeros at one time were very highly rated, especially in comparison to the other available 20" tires. Tire technology is always changing, and now most brands carry a 20" tire. The last tire review I remembering seeing (last summer I believe), of the dozen or so tires tested, the P-Zeros were towards the bottom of the list. In any case, there are numerous options available now.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Dallas90

Well, you do know I'm about out of cash!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Dallas90

I wasn't looking for them to be free, but if they can give me a deal I'd go for it. I feel like I missed the details on my pre-purchase homework, so it's frustrating and somewhat embarrassing. I'll be paying more attention to tire performance on my next car purchase, but it's likely to be an SUV... not quite the same degree of criticality to handling / performance.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Then I guess you will be keeping the P-Zeros. You should be able to get 20,000+ miles out of them.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Dallas90

I won't keep them 20K. I have a nephew that says he wants them as his tires are bald. So if I can get a deal on some new ones and get the nephew off bald tires it could be good all around.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Palutz59
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1LE soon
Welcome to this site and congrats on the new SS. To be honest with you most people (myself included) don't know about these tires like you do. With the kind of racing experience such as yours then it makes sense that you can find the pros and cons of these rubbers a lot easier than the average Joe. GM knows that and it's clear because of the tires they are planning on putting on the new Z/28. Btw I'm surprised that even being in Dallas you still notice the cold tires. SoCal (Orange County) streets heat up quickly daily and I know Dallas isn't Canada.
Palutz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
I don't race my car but never noticed a problem with these tires on the road And I live in northern jersey. The only thing that they really aren't good for is when its snowing outside. Anything else I have no issues.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I am in SC, and it is the overnight flat spotting that I hate about these tires. However, I am not ready to buy a new set of 21" tires.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Dallas90

We have had some late cold snaps here (into the 30s in the morning, climbing to 70s in the afternoon) so I've had a chance to see what the "delta T" did to the tires. I haven't raced in years, but it sticks with you. Thanks for the compliment Palutz59, but " back in the day" I could have figured these tires out in less than 20 miles, it took me about 500 before I really was disappointed in them. Although the first 300 was highway with my kids in the car, so no pushing it there. The flat spotting is probably worse for me, I'm an airline pilot so the car sits for two or three days then is driven for 3 or 4. Still the flat spotting is the worst, the vague roll in is a close second. It's unacceptable for a Camaro to have vague roll in and a Cadillac CTS to be so precise.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
Being a former autocrosser and road racer, did you consider the 1LE package? Just curious. WX CAVU to you.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
Your opinion is you hate the tires.
They are a summer performance tire, and not a "cheap" tire by any means.
That is the tire Chevy puts on the car, and of course you are free to replace them with another brand/type of your choice.
But don't expect Chevy to pay for them or give you a discount.

The tires have went through extensive testing, and passed all requirements Chevy held them too.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
I got 3 sets of rims , 1 has my snow tires on them , 1 set of rims has my all-seasons on them , and my other set have a set of worn out all season that I am going to put p-zero's on them .
It might sound like a lot of $ to invest , But once you get the rims you are going to use your rubber no matter what, Look into the used wheels/tires section here , there are some nice deals sometimes .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote