Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #211
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Now we need a GM engineer to help us out here......

As a 15 year veteran of mobile car fi repair and installation, there is a very strong possibly that the head unit does in fact have a disc player inside with a possibility for firmware upgrades on disc by technicians who would then know how to remove the bezel to do firmware upgrades via DVD ROM. Which is what I surmise to be part# 5 on the diagram, the firmware DVD ROM. I have seen things like this before. For whatever reason, GM has chosen to keep the disc player from playing a standard audio CD, (even though ANY AND EVERY disc player on planet earth can play a simple audio CD). Then GM may have designed the front bezel trim without the CD slot to prevent people from trying to play a CD.

One simple, cheap, and perfect solution to this would have been to have engineers program the software of the GUI to simply bring up simple CD player functions and disc info on the display when a disc is entered.

I would even submit to all you guys who like to get into the guts of computer software that there may in fact be a way to reprogram this to play a disc. Crack a code so to speak.... you'd be surprised what you can do when you get into the software of modern cars. And then all you'd need to do is cut a slot into the plastic front bezel and you have your CD player!
MyLink does not have a cd player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #212
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
MyLink does not have a cd player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You missed my point.... look at the diagram....

What I am saying is that the head unit apparently DOES HAVE A DISC SLOT, and it is covered up with no slot opening in the front plastic bezel so you cannot insert a disc without removing the bezel.

If anyone buys a Camaro with MyLink, the first thing they should do is remove the front bezel around the radio to show the head unit underneath. Then post a picture.

That slot is for firmware upgrades, no question about that in my mind. But as I said any disc drive that reads any DVD ROM disc on the planet can read an old fashioned compact audio disc with the same laser.

$10 says if you pop that plastic bezel off and just insert your favorite audio CD it will play it through your speakers. Whether or not it brings up a CD function screen with track cue and eject is another story..... but I bet it WILL play a CD.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #213
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I think the majority of people who have camaros DON'T use CDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
I know some people want to cling to their CDs that are prone to scratches and can only hold a little over an hour of music but the times are changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
CD's are one their way out... don't believe me, go to bestbuy and see how big the CD department is compared to a few years ago.
You guys are really missing it.

We're not debating the increased use of digital media, it's just that I would prefer to have the OPTION of using a cd if I want to. As another member posted, cd's are not obsolete & I still use them at times. Just because YOU don't use them doesn't mean everyone is like you. I think it's a little too early to completely elimate cd players in cars altogether.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #214
av9022

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray 2SS RS
I just purchased a 2013 Camaro 2SS RS that have the mylink. I was wondering if it will have the option to download additional apps to the system or play movies from the iPhone?
av9022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #215
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Nearby ski conditions, haha
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #216
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by av9022 View Post
I just purchased a 2013 Camaro 2SS RS that have the mylink. I was wondering if it will have the option to download additional apps to the system or play movies from the iPhone?
If you are technically inclined, or if you know someone who is, can you do us a favor and remove or just expose the head unit and take a picture of it?

After seeing that schematic diagram, I am now VERY curious if it is accurate in showing there IS a disc slot in the MyLink head unit.

So, if you or someone you know knows how to remove the front bezel with all the buttons and HVAC controls, and expose the head unit, then take a picture and post it here, we will all know for sure if this head unit has a disc player.

Thanks!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #217
Code

Drives: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
$10 says if you pop that plastic bezel off and just insert your favorite audio CD it will play it through your speakers. Whether or not it brings up a CD function screen with track cue and eject is another story..... but I bet it WILL play a CD.
Why do you expect it to play the CD through the speakers?

If no software was made for the myLink to do that, then I very much doubt that it will. Many cars have navigation-only disc drives, and no, they won't play a music CD if you put it in there.
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #218
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by av9022 View Post
There is currently no way to download additional apps or to play movies from the iPhone. Have you used the Pandora feature?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #219
Moonsault
5th Gen STIG

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Is the mylink system available yet to buy for 2010's? Do I just go to my dealer, or through GMparts?
Moonsault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #220
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsault View Post
Is the mylink system available yet to buy for 2010's? Do I just go to my dealer, or through GMparts?
Start reading http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223847

Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #221
Moonsault
5th Gen STIG

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Thanks
Moonsault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #222
av9022

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4LIFE View Post
I wonder if there is a way to let it play while moving... So passengers can watch just not the driver. That would be very bad
Mylink do not play movies unless im doing something wrong. I tried to play some movies through my iPhone and do not work. The mylink do show movie listings..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #223
av9022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
There is currently no way to download additional apps or to play movies from the iPhone. Have you used the Pandora feature?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Yes, I have used the pandora feature and i think it is laid out pretty nicely but the stitcher radio is horible which i think is a cheap knock off of iheart radio. And as in downloading additional apps that would be a big no at this moment. I do see in the system set up that you can update the system through a firmware update though USB thumb drive
Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #224
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE

How does the built in 0-60 and 1/4 mi timer work?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote