Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Transdamm

Drives: BMW 650I
how long will we see the Camaro around for?

how long do you guys think production for this car will be? will there be a 6th gen or will we just get a short 3-4 year run of this car? I was really hoping a WS-6 would pop out of left field but it doesnt look like its happening.
Transdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
our hope is it's back for good...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
That's pretty hard to tell. I think that if the Camaro is a great success for Chevy, and sells at or around the estimated 100,000 annual units we could see the Camaro out for maybe longer than 3-4 years. Maybe a 6th gen will be in the works.

It's also going to depend on where the market trend towards smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles goes too.

And future fuel costs.

While none of us really know, it seems unlikely that a Firebird T/A will be revived for Pontiac from the Zeta chassis, however something is definitely coming out for Pontiac in the near future, that's for sure. Whether or not it's the G8 Coupe, or next Pontiac GTO, Pontiac will have a RWD performance coupe probably in the next few years.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd bet on more time than 6 years for a car that has been in the works for this long. The fifth generation will probably be around for a while with a refresher to boost it another few years.

I'm guessing that we'll see basically the same design elements for about 12 years.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
I would hope it continues on for a long time and I have high hopes that it will.

If CAFE becomes a big concern I would be willing to buy a Camaro and Volt as a package deal or more likely a Camaro and Cruze.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
If CAFE becomes a big concern I would be willing to buy a Camaro and Volt as a package deal or more likely a Camaro and Cruze.
There you go! Haha a Camaro and a Cruze sounds good!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
I really dont expect to see it around for too many more years with the way things are going. Especially if things get worse. I mean if even if gas prices stay where there at and with the new CAFE regulations I really wouldnt expect to see this car for very long. I hope I'm wrong I'd love to see it never go away but I'm just being realistic. Plus if it does go away I will still drive around in my 5th gen for years and years to come haha.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I actually think the Camaro will stick around this time. As much as I'd hate to see it, I think, over time, GM will move all of their vehicles to evolutionary versions of the Volt powertrain. The current Volt setup has roughly the same torque as the new v6 Camaro, only it's instant rather than a curve. Throw in a more powerful electric motor, at the expense of range, and they'd hit the seat of the pants performance of the SS. Just look at the Tesla roadster.

I think I'll start a new company that records the best V8 exhaust sounds out there right now and then sell a "performance" sound system back to future Camaro owners that only have the choice of electric power.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I think I'll start a new company that records the best V8 exhaust sounds out there right now and then sell a "performance" sound system back to future Camaro owners that only have the choice of electric power.

You might be too late because i think i saw that on Pimp my Ride at one time. They mounted something like 4 12" subwoofers under the car and then there was a module that connected to the throttle and you could pick what car you wanted yours to sound like.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Damn. There goes that retirement plan. :(

Found it: http://www.vroombox.com/vroombox/
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I think that the current leadership at GM is going to continue to focus on cars, even if gas prices come down further. I think they realize now they cannot afford not to put plenty of development money in cars, if nothing else than for image. The image of all those big trucks and suv's makes people think all GM's/american cars are big and suck a lot of gas. Not really true but the image a company has--like people think just because it is japanese it is efficient--can really affect people's perception even if they are buying a midsize or fullsize car that has nothing in common with a super efficient small car. Ex: the prius; perception is that all toyota's must get good mileage because it is the same company that makes this 45mpg car.

Anyway, my point is I think the camaro may change form, or may lose some performance in the future, but I think it is here to stay. Ridiculous government rules that force automakers to make cars people don't want or force us to pay for ridiculously expensive technology may kill the future of an affordable sports car like the 2010 car, but at least we can enjoy it for now while it lasts.