Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Where are you from? I know alot of good tuners across the country.

The handhelds work if your desperate but a good knowledgable tuner would be better.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I took a quick look at HP Tuner's site and it sure seems like it's going to be way over my head. Isn't it just software? Wouldn't I need to supply a laptop (which I don't have)? I'm assuming you could buy a cable to go from the laptop to the car?

I would be nervous to do even the Diablo on my own. I'm afraid I would really screw something up and with no warranty at that point I would be S.O.L.

I like the idea of the Diablo because it seems pretty straight forward. I wouldn't have even considered it until Ted J. said that I could email him some logs, he could customize a tune, and then re-send it back to me. I like that idea pretty good. I just might go the Diablo path with help from Ted...but not on my own.

That is unless someone can give me a little HP Tuners 101 explaination and gain some good confidence with it. Even then.....I don't know???? Don't really want to learn on my Camaro.
Hp Tuners has logging feature as well. You use Hp Tuners VCM Scanner to log while you drive. This can be done without a laptop and is stored internally for 30min+ of driving at a time. So technically no you don't need a laptop to use Hp Tuners. It just makes it more effective to make changes on the fly while tuning on a 20.1"+ monitor laptop. Of coarse it needs its own seatbelt!

Example.

2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Where are you from? I know alot of good tuners across the country.

The handhelds work if your desperate but a good knowledgable tuner would be better.
I completely agree to the need for a knowledgable tuner. I'm not far from ADM Performance or LG Motorsports. Originally (and I still might) I had planned on have someone like Andy at ADM do the tuning. I haven't talked to him in depth yet because I'm not ready for the tune but I think I remember him telling me $500 for a tune. I think that includes before/after dyno runs. What I don't know is if it would include free re-tunes.

That's where I liked the idea of the Diablo. The knowledgable tuner would be someone like Ted that I can email my logs to, have him create a tune, email it back to me, and then I apply it to the car. I also like the fact that I can flash the factory tune back within minutes using the Diablo if I need to.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The Diablo will log and give percentage value's for L-terms ect.Is it as accurate as a log from HPT or EFI? No.

We've been tuning Ls motor's since 2001.Throughout the years I'd say I've personally tuned over 300 of them.Could easilly sell mail order tunes but won't due to the fact they are not 100% right.Seen alot of mailorder,Diablo,SCT ect tunes that are not right.They work but a custom tune done by someone present is always better.(If they know what there doing)
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
As for the torque limiter, hold down the traction control button for 8 seconds. GM already put that mod in there for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I completely agree to the need for a knowledgable tuner. I'm not far from ADM Performance or LG Motorsports. Originally (and I still might) I had planned on have someone like Andy at ADM do the tuning. I haven't talked to him in depth yet because I'm not ready for the tune but I think I remember him telling me $500 for a tune. I think that includes before/after dyno runs. What I don't know is if it would include free re-tunes.

That's where I liked the idea of the Diablo. The knowledgable tuner would be someone like Ted that I can email my logs to, have him create a tune, email it back to me, and then I apply it to the car. I also like the fact that I can flash the factory tune back within minutes using the Diablo if I need to.
Slowhawk already said it but please pay attention folks. Tuning solely on STFT/LTFT (Short/Long Term Fuel Trims) is ONLY for driveability NOT wide open throttle where you tune for max power. You need to have accesss to a wideband and a be capable of logging the data as well. Tuning WOT using STFT/LTFT logged data is the most shot down method for trying to tune a vehicle on HP Tuners website by every guru in the business. Hence you WOT tuning is 'nil unless your given a canned (same for everyone) tuned from a Diablosport dealer who has done extensive research for you exact mods and even then its not going to come even close to an Andy @ ADM Performance custom dyno tune.

Daiblosport is NOT = Hp Tuners
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
SPANKT U

Drives: 2010 2SSRS Inferno Orange LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_desmo View Post
thank you but i wont buy anything superchip as we had a bad experience on a mb car...and as i said i dont want a complete flash ; i want to remove electronic restrictions. Thanks anyways. Ill call lg
The Flashpaq doesn't work anyway... I have had one for 2 weeks waiting on their programmers to put my VIN in their database so I can use it and it is still just sitting in the box waiting on them to send me "THE" e-mail. Sheesh...
Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Hp Tuners has logging feature as well. You use Hp Tuners VCM Scanner to log while you drive. This can be done without a laptop and is stored internally for 30min+ of driving at a time. So technically no you don't need a laptop to use Hp Tuners. It just makes it more effective to make changes on the fly while tuning on a 20.1"+ monitor laptop. Of coarse it needs its own seatbelt!

Example.

If she comes with the tuning software I will give you my order now