Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Got my vararam 1 week ago and have a Vectormotorsports tune on my L99. Cars runs GREAT. NO bucking serging or anything like that. So far, Im very happy with both !
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
RWTD

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
A screen would probably cure the bucking but it would hurt the HP numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
On a side note, have people been inserting OEM style screens in front of the maf to get cleaner readings?
Hey guys, good posts.

I've tested with and without screens to determine if there is a loss of power. The previous style factory GM plastic 85mm MAF (w/ screen) does not pose any loss of power below 500 rwhp Actual, and it may even not above that (to be fair, I haven't tested the factory MAF w/ screen above those power levels). This shows me that there's still sufficient flow through the factory screen, which is more dense than most of the aftermarket screens I've been seeing tested as of late.

With that being said, there is a good thread over on HPT that shows some before/after results with aftermarket screens on guys with larger MAF housings. I'll be testing a few different cars with these screens soon (unfortunately, I don't have any new Camaros lined up at this time, but hopefully that'll change). See here (read the whole thread for before/after results, and the various screens used):

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26546

One of the nice things the screens gave to these guys was even a drop in Hz, which can help on those close to pegging the MAF table limit (that won't be an issue on the the Gen4 vehicles with the 15k Hz limit, like the new Camaros).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Got my vararam 1 week ago and have a Vectormotorsports tune on my L99. Cars runs GREAT. NO bucking serging or anything like that. So far, Im very happy with both !
Not to sound crude, but unfortunately you aren't able to see the bigger picture. A tune can't cause the airflow going through the MAF to straighten up. There is a bigger issue at hand here. What "feels" good isn't best.
RWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
To my knowledge, VectorMotor Sports has no vested interest in Vararam or any other CAI. I have spoken and exchanged emails with Kirk many times and believe he would have mentioned this if it were the case. I am no mechanical engineer, only a systems engineer so I must rely on my butt dyno and what those I trust tell me. I trust Kirk.

I understand a tune cant cause the airflow to straigten up, but if I am not moticing any of the bucking or serging problem, then what is the "bigger picture" that I am missing?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
RWTD

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
To my knowledge, VectorMotor Sports has no vested interest in Vararam or any other CAI. I have spoken and exchanged emails with Kirk many times and believe he would have mentioned this if it were the case. I am no mechanical engineer, only a systems engineer so I must rely on my butt dyno and what those I trust tell me. I trust Kirk.
I've already touched on this previously. Like I said before:

If you were my customer, and the MAF was erratic while I was tuning it, that would be one of the very first things I'd inform you of, explain to you what's happening, and why this is bad, and what you can do to correct it. I'd know ahead of time about the potential for this issue just by knowing what type of CAI you had before you came to me (I always ask these questions). As a matter of fact, I actually go to the extreme and show each and every step of the tuning process and datalogs to my customers (it's the little things that count). You'd be shocked at how much cleaner a power curve is with a non-erratic MAF signal. There's 1 to 5+ rwhp/rwtq that can be lost throughout each rpm increment, due to an erratic MAF signal.

So, did your tuner do any of this? These's more than just "trust" to have. Experience encompasses a LOT of different areas.

Quote:
I understand a tune cant cause the airflow to straigten up, but if I am not moticing any of the bucking or serging problem, then what is the "bigger picture" that I am missing?
I've explained this, as well. Like I said:

The bucking is generally due to a number of issues, mainly VE is now off, and of course the MAF transfer is usually off with the aftermarket CAI (due to the change in velocity and placement of MAF). Spark modification can help, as well, but not all vehicles can gain much more spark over factory in the lower airflow/load ranges. But, as I stated above, the erratic MAF signal still persists, and thus power delivery will thus suffer (notice I said "delivery", not gains).
RWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
and I have not yet gotten a new cai..looking around at my options. Obviously want one that looks good, performs well, and does not cost me both arms.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Sooooooooo then it's CAI. Just ordered mine today
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
and I have not yet gotten a new cai..looking around at my options. Obviously want one that looks good, performs well, and does not cost me both arms.

If you are interested in trying my Halltech let me know. I would be happy to bring it to our dyno day on 5/15 in Buda.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #22
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
If you were my customer, and the MAF was erratic while I was tuning it, that would be one of the very first things I'd inform you of, explain to you what's happening, and why this is bad, and what you can do to correct it. I'd know ahead of time about the potential for this issue just by knowing what type of CAI you had before you came to me (I always ask these questions). As a matter of fact, I actually go to the extreme and show each and every step of the tuning process and datalogs to my customers (it's the little things that count). You'd be shocked at how much cleaner a power curve is with a non-erratic MAF signal. There's 1 to 5+ rwhp/rwtq that can be lost throughout each rpm increment, due to an erratic MAF signal.
Can you please explain why its bad?

I had my car tuned and still have the bucking going on, my tuner is going to do some street tuning to try and fix it

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #23
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
after the install of the VR w/out a tune.

I took mine out. If you are getting a tune, from what I understand, you will be fine. If you are not getting a tune, get ready to have bucking. I tried several units and we just couldn't get it to work for my car. Two things: 1.) After taking it out, the constant bucking is GONE and 2.) I sure as sh!t lost a lot of torque and hp....very noticable after removing it. And that? That SUCKS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I really think where the MAF is it needs to have a tune to fix things. I played and played with it. Mine is off right now. PQ bought me a CAI Industires intake for fixing his office computer system after it crashed. That works real good. Will see when I am ready to blow my warranty about the Vararam with a tune.
Guys, to say the least I am extremely shocked! I remember back a few months ago you guys plus several others couldn't say enough good things about Vararam. There were many of us who looked at your responses and positive feedback of this product which helped contribute to our continued wait, and for some, the purchase of this particular CAI. I know for one I waited, but have since gave up, because of your continued positive responses and encouragement to wait. Now, you've both taken them off??? Wow! This information would have been to have a couple of months ago.

TAG, a lot of people in this forum respect you both because you are a moderator you because you seem like a really great guy (at least from my experience). Because of the high level of respect you should really watch what products you openly support. No disrespect, it just a lot of people will listen to you and take your advice.... many probably did and waited for the Vararam unit because of you.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
A bit harsh man.

Everyone has a choice to make their own decisions.

I would recommend anyone in the market for a CAI do their homework.

The Vararam is not a bad intake. It requires a tune to get it right. BFD. There are other intakes on the market that require the same. My only issue is the way they market it. It is borderline BS.

There are plenty of other no tune intakes on the market that show nice gains. Again, everyone has a choice and that is a good thing.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I let my place for the Vararam go. I really wasn't comfortable with some of the negative feed back of it . I picked up a Roto Fab for a good price and will be installing it shortly.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
RWTD, try our OTR intake, has a much better MAF reading, ask any other shop that has tuned our kit and the other one, just FYI. We tried splitting the air path when we were developing our system, it doesn't work right no matter where you put the MAF sensor, or how you try to baffle it.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #27
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
Guys, to say the least I am extremely shocked! I remember back a few months ago you guys plus several others couldn't say enough good things about Vararam. There were many of us who looked at your responses and positive feedback of this product which helped contribute to our continued wait, and for some, the purchase of this particular CAI. I know for one I waited, but have since gave up, because of your continued positive responses and encouragement to wait. Now, you've both taken them off??? Wow! This information would have been to have a couple of months ago.

TAG, a lot of people in this forum respect you both because you are a moderator you because you seem like a really great guy (at least from my experience). Because of the high level of respect you should really watch what products you openly support. No disrespect, it just a lot of people will listen to you and take your advice.... many probably did and waited for the Vararam unit because of you.
The Vararam is pretty good intake if you want HP and TRQ. It is there. I just did not want to tune my car and with my exhaust changes that is where it was heading. When I am ready for a tune I will give her another shot. And if Randy would not of bought me the CAI I would still be running the Vararam.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
an old tune (prior to learning about the fuse pull, SLOW L99) and tune 3" Vararam = smooth idle and no stumble, tune will be tweeked and will be dyno'd again, but just too busy, NO regrets, I like the proformance.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote