Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Can't agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Honestly, a catch can is a catch can. You can get along just fine without even having one. They ALL work, so just pick a pretty one and get it if you want it. If one works better than another, so what? It isn't gonna be a big enough difference to matter in the long run. These engines have gone into the 250k miles just fine WITHOUT one. (The LS3 platform of course)
I know this is not the right thread but I installed 2 cans on my V6.
The one close to the fender is connected to the clean side PCV and the other one on the dirty side (one on top of the engine)

After 700 miles I opened the cans. The clean side had oil fumes into the stuffing I added to the Megan type can which is an empty type can. But for the dirty side there was about 1 height inch of oil accumulation after only 700 miles. Imagine, my car has 16,000 miles now.

I always thought that clean is always better than dirty...

Name:  catch can bracket.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  catch can install 2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  136.1 KB

As for this thread I hope that SC2150 will be back since hI learned a lot on catch cans because of him.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by oville-rider View Post
Well I just got my catch can today but no throttle body. tried to send him a PM.... Account suspended! So does this mean I'm getting no throttle body? Are they out of business or just off line till they get things straighten out? any info out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Shoot him an e-mail.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
And I hope this thread doesn't disappear... it would only validate my point
No, it really wouldn't. The title of this thread suggests conversation with the subject being a members status after being suspended. And a vendor at that. And that's just not cool. I've seen the misinformation that comes after a 'Respected' member gets suspended or banned. People don't know the whole story and so just assumed that because the member or vendor was nice to them that the mods just decided to pick on someone, who was sitting there minding their own business, for no reason. How much sense does that make?

I don't know Tracy. Never spoke with, or even seen any posts by him/her. But I do know others who are not the people that the community thinks they are. Even some who are still active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
The one close to the fender is connected to the clean side PCV and the other one on the dirty side (one on top of the engine)

After 700 miles I opened the cans. The clean side had oil fumes into the stuffing I added to the Megan type can which is an empty type can. But for the dirty side there was about 1 height inch of oil accumulation after only 700 miles. Imagine, my car has 16,000 miles now.

Attachment 239788

Attachment 239789

As for this thread I hope that SC2150 will be back since hI learned a lot on catch cans because of him.
Clean is not always better than dirty. But in this case it may be. I've had it said to me that the oil inside the right blower can act as lubricant. (far fetched) But the oil gets burned out. If the carbon builds up over 150k miles, then seafoam it.

It's not like all of that oil builds up and gets stuffed in the engine at one time. It burns off. Now I'm all for the best fix. fix it and be done with it. Though I still haven't put one on my car, I have plenty of time. And will do so. A catch can is a really cool idea for these engines. But as a preventitive measure. You could put 250k miles on your engine and NEVER have a problem from not having a catch can. These engines are designed that way. It's a good call to put one on if you think you'll have the car and never have to open the engine up for anything. Throw a blower on there or do a cam and power it up more and you could benefit even more. But again, it's just a 'just in case' preventitive.

I said all that, to say this;

My point is simply, ANY catch can you buy is gonna trap oil just like the one you have. I'm saying that one engine WITH a catch can may or may not last as long as one without. Odds are with the engine with a catch can. So then put one up against another............ kinda unnecessary.

Bottom line, one catch can catches 95% of the oil, and the other catches 90% of the oil. On an engine that can survive just fine catching 0% of the oil.

That's all I'm saying. A catch can is a catch can. They will all work just fine.

Last edited by PQ; 05-11-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by oville-rider View Post
Well I just got my catch can today but no throttle body. tried to send him a PM.... Account suspended! So does this mean I'm getting no throttle body? Are they out of business or just off line till they get things straighten out? any info out there?
He is still active and doing business on other forums. This ban hasn't slowed him down at all.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #33
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post

Attachment 239788

Attachment 239789

Do you have a pic of where these hoses run?
Like the can to the dirty side and then the one to the clean side, I am more confused on the location of these more than ever now.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #34
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Honestly, a catch can is a catch can. You can get along just fine without even having one. They ALL work, so just pick a pretty one and get it if you want it. If one works better than another, so what? It isn't gonna be a big enough difference to matter in the long run. These engines have gone into the 250k miles just fine WITHOUT one. (The LS3 platform of course)
There is a big difference between cans. I'm one that has an LS3 with a lot of oil going through the system. After putting an inline filter on the output hose of two different brand of cans the difference is huge in the amount of pull through oil. Now if you are talking about the difference between many of the common designed cans, then I'd agree.

She is only memory now.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Since the catch-can debate may have had something to do with his suspension, is it wise to start it up in this thread?

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #36
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I acknowledge the fact that it costs money to run it, but a forum's purpose is information, and there is a wealth to be shared within a community. A silly ban really accomplishes nothing as I still purchased what I needed, and I can still contact him. The shame is what if my concern is shared by even a single person; and that knowledge could have been passed twofold. Can you imagine if a Harvard education could be given open-forum? It's these silly political/financial games that get in the way of real progress - which is most effectively achieved through the sharing of knowledge. I know, deep right?

Anyway, I'm glad to see people coming out for Tracy. A world of help, whether or not any thing is bought or sold. I wasn't even aware he was the vendor at first, I thought he was a pleased customer!

And I hope this thread doesn't disappear... it would only validate my point
+1. just about says it all.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
There is a big difference between cans. I'm one that has an LS3 with a lot of oil going through the system. After putting an inline filter on the output hose of two different brand of cans the difference is huge in the amount of pull through oil. Now if you are talking about the difference between many of the common designed cans, then I'd agree.
Again. My point is these engines will more than likely see internal wear failure long before any failure due to oil beign burnt on the valves or in the cylinders or ports. And seafoam would absolutely be just fine.

So, since, in my opinion, the need for a catch can at all is not as important as made out to be, ANY can is gonna be just fine. Unless one is just NOT catching the oil. Wich I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Since the catch-can debate may have had something to do with his suspension, is it wise to start it up in this thread?

Padre
He was suspended. Not us. And I brought it up to make this thread make sense. We can't have a thread discussing a members suspension.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #38
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
PQ you being Supercharged should know better than that. When you are out on the edge with a tune for a specific octane fuel it is very important not to be putting anything but fuel into your charge. Crankcase vent gasses can easily cause detonation when using a Roots Blower. Wake up man....smell the toast cooking and do the right thing. If you would like I could send you what I captured recently. It is definately not something you would want to be running thru your intake and throttle body..let alone your screws only to be mixed with your fuel and burned.

Tracy was fantastic for being so paitient and informed about not only the Crankcase ventilation requirements but on so many other high performance mods. I cant wait till he is back..Great guy and provides great products and service.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #39
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Hmmm vendor gets banned while mods investigate something lol.

I tend to agree with PQ that the catch can is really not as important as hyped. I have actually been bewildered at how so much is said on these forums about catch cans. Then again I am equally shocked at the tech vs bling post on these forums think its about 1/1000.

So that being said I am really shocked a vendor for a product that to me is pretty much bling with a near irrelevant use got banned for just bickering in a forum.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #40
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
PQ you being Supercharged should know better than that. When you are out on the edge with a tune for a specific octane fuel it is very important not to be putting anything but fuel into your charge. Crankcase vent gasses can easily cause detonation when using a Roots Blower. Wake up man....smell the toast cooking and do the right thing. If you would like I could send you what I captured recently. It is definately not something you would want to be running thru your intake and throttle body..let alone your screws only to be mixed with your fuel and burned.

Tracy was fantastic for being so paitient and informed about not only the Crankcase ventilation requirements but on so many other high performance mods. I cant wait till he is back..Great guy and provides great products and service.
Right. I get it.

My boost is LOW. You have almost twice the power I do. I know I need a catch can but the power and low boost I'm running isnt' gonna make a difference. I'll be doing a cam soon and I'll HAVE to get one.

My point is simply that the difference in these catch cans are exagerated. FI is different and I said that.

Closed Thread

Tags
catch cans, rx catch cans, sc2150