Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Walmart botched oil change! UPDATE

Well it's safe to say I will not be going back to this place or any other ever again.... Took her in to get a full synthetic and have done this before and never ever have i had a problem with Walmart Tire and Lube. So i have about a 7 to 8 mile drive from here to there. Got on the freeway and started to notice smoke but did not figure out that it was comming from my car until i was 2 miles from home. A good passer by pointed it out to me on an exit.

I got off at my exit and thats when I heard her knocking.. hard. engine stuttering. At this point i was about 1/4 of a mile and just drove her home. When i parked in drive way, thats when i heard just how bad the knocking was... I called walmart right away... they called me back and sent the service manager and tech back out to look at the car. They get here and pop the hood. The tech who worked the upper bay did not securly tighten the oil filter in the gasket. They showed me the mistake, it was about 2 inches below where it needed to be. They brought 6 qrts of oil with them and it took all 6 which means i drained the car almost completly of oil on my trek home.

I must say they have been supurb about this whole thing. They filed the claim and contacted me today (in the mean time i had the car towed to chapman chevy for testing/repair if needed) I get her back tomorrow. dealership said they cannot tell if damage (they wont open the engine up) They are going to have me do a 3,000 mile test, change out the oil and send off for anlaysis. CMI walmarts insurance admitted to me that walmart admitted fault and everything would be covered.

Hopefully she will be fine....

Btw. the tech who did it... first day on the job.
Attached Images

Last edited by ponbigi; 05-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
it is great that they accept responsibility,but i would insist on a new engine.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Ouch! Sorry to see this.......................and you don't have to guess, running an engine without oil for any length of time, means premature wear at minimum. A oil test 3k from now is meaningless. That is unless the bearings fall out with the filter. Have the engine replaced asap..................Oh! Have experienced the same scenario with Wally World and their byline will change with attitudes months from now. Insist on the replacement. Settle for nothing less..............and if they resist have your lien holder give them a call on your behalf. They have a staked interest in the engine.............
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
ponbigi

Yeah, i know there is going to be some damage... Problem is I cannot get chapman to open her up. Unless I have solid evidence that damage has occured I cannot get them to replace the engine. I was flat out told no new engine.. She has 40k on it best I would get is a rebuilt however, chapman did say the cost would be indentical to a new engine (almost). My next biggest concern is that the oil light never came on. That scares me a lot that the sensor didnt even pick it up.

I was debating on getting another mechanic involved and may still go down that route. Any mechanics care to comment. I am concerned about getting hosed but there is a az law here that i have 2 years with this claim. I have documented everything even recorded them admitting fault.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
This is why I just go to the dealership or firestone :P
Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGame55 View Post
Yeah - I think the dealership I use is more than fairly priced ... if I provide the oil and filter, they do the service and disposal for $13.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
I'll never understand members infatuation with WalMart. Just about every parking lot Horror story comes from them and now this.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I wouldn't trust WalMart to work on my bicycle.... But I'm glad they are taking responsibility for it.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
After seeing cars fall off the lift and numerous other horror stories, I don't trust the tire and lube at Walmart.

Mods:
Hurst short throw shifter,Heritage Grille, CAI Inc. cai, Window tint, skip shift eliminator, footwell lighting

To-Do List:
New Exhaust (or muffler delete)
P13w's
and More TBD
Hendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Walmart, I don't even like my car sitting in one of their lots let alone have them work on it.

If the tire and lube is anything like the quality of the goods sold in their stores ,I would bet this type of thing happens all the time.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGame55 View Post
While I hate Dumpmart (as I call it) and never, ever go there this could happen at any service center, including the dealer. The only "safe way" to get an oil change is to do it yourself.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponbigi View Post
Yeah, i know there is going to be some damage... Problem is I cannot get chapman to open her up. Unless I have solid evidence that damage has occured I cannot get them to replace the engine. I was flat out told no new engine.. She has 40k on it best I would get is a rebuilt however, chapman did say the cost would be indentical to a new engine (almost). My next biggest concern is that the oil light never came on. That scares me a lot that the sensor didnt even pick it up.

I was debating on getting another mechanic involved and may still go down that route. Any mechanics care to comment. I am concerned about getting hosed but there is a az law here that i have 2 years with this claim. I have documented everything even recorded them admitting fault.
Yes you're faced with a fairly common paradox, latent damages are hard to see/prove without close examination...........and thus the invent of the power of consumer protection laws of the state in which the damages occur. Research and use them as well any other avenue available that will expedite results. Your attorney, as well media outlets like local TV stations who love to air documented claims such as yours. The latter comes at no cost to you. The folks upstairs in the food chain at Wally World hates the negative attention. Put a sign in your back window with a few of those pic's glued to it, and describe in bold letters what happened and when then park the car near the culprits location. Hit them where it counts....Remember that no one will do the fighting for you unless, you make demands or ask for help. Good Luck!
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
the filter is on the top, so are you saying they did not tighten the metal cover, as the oil should be flowing from this?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
ponbigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
the filter is on the top, so are you saying they did not tighten the metal cover, as the oil should be flowing from this?
They did not tighten the oil filter all the way up on the threads. There was about a two inch gap from the top thread at the seal where it should have been, in fact when they pulled it out it was inverted to the right instead of straight like it should be. This is what caused the leak through the gasket.