Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

View Poll Results: Is Your Tune Locked Or Unlocked?
Locked 9 15.79%
Unlocked 40 70.18%
Not Sure 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avellanet.jr View Post
After seeing an interesting debate in the Atlanta Club Lounge, I figured I would pose the question. I know I just assumed my tune would be unlocked, which it is but how many people don't even know?

If you want, list your shop and opinion.

Is your cars tune unlocked or locked?
Do you think tuners should lock their tunes?

I can assure your tune is UNLOCKED.

I NEVER lock customer's tunes, you paid me for the intellectual property and the VCM where it is stored is yours. I've had trouble with traveling tuners locking their tunes, and then customer comes to our shop and then I have to try to hard flash over it with the GM MDI or replace ECU.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
I tried to read my ECU with HP after being flashed with SCT and would get an error every time. Couldn't read the ECM.

Also if Custom OS is used with any software, another software cannot read it. For example, if you use a Custom OS on EFILive even without locking the computer, if you try to read with SCT/HPT/Diablosport it would not be able to read.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
I was confident you didn't Matt. Just wanted to bring this up. FSP FTW!
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #32
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
Hi !

ALL IPF-TUNING Flashes are UNLOCKED ... we must Keep the possibility to reflash the vehicles ECU by GM-MDI ...

We noticed that some Tuners shut OFF the security Service of the ECU after doing the Tuning ... that causes that any other tool or even GM-MDI CANT reflash the ecu back to stock or even Change the Tuning .. in these cases a NEW ECU was the only solution !

Greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
ASH@IPF-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post

I NEVER lock customer's tunes, you paid me for the intellectual property and the VCM where it is stored is yours. I've had trouble with traveling tuners locking their tunes, and then customer comes to our shop and then I have to try to hard flash over it with the GM MDI or replace ECU.
This is good to know, I was hoping my tune was not locked after reading this thread. Anyway I tried to call you on Saturday but you were probably working in a build. I'm off tomorrow so ill try you again regarding my possible build.

Felix

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
This is good to know, I was hoping my tune was not locked after reading this thread. Anyway I tried to call you on Saturday but you were probably working in a build. I'm off tomorrow so ill try you again regarding my possible build.

Felix

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Ya we're working through labor day weekend to keep on top of projects Just give me a shout I'll be in the office tomorrow.

Yes no one that has been tuned by us are locked.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #35
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
I can assure you Matt's tunes are NOT LOCKED. I love HP Tuners because I can go in and look at all the data after a log. BEST MONEY I'VE EVER SPENT ON TUNING Matt & HP Tuners!!
Matt has put a lot of time into my remote tuning and we are now working on some nitrous tuning. When he gets this nailed down and the weather cooperates with us, you will be seeing some very nice track ETs from my car. Thanks Matt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post

etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #36
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime2 View Post
You don't lock the tune or the ECM? There was just a thread and Ted said the tune is locked. I know first hand the tune file is locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.
I don't Lock Either, The tune file can be read out and modified with HPtuners.

I never said my tunes are Locked, I said I don't give out the .MTU files which are my Dealer Tune files in SCT format.

If you had trouble reading it that is an HPtuners problem.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #37
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
What is the difference int the sct mtu file and having someone read it with hp? It seems like these guys with sct pro racer need to either have that file or else start from scratch or pay another tuner to get involved.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
What is the difference int the sct mtu file and having someone read it with hp? It seems like these guys with sct pro racer need to either have that file or else start from scratch or pay another tuner to get involved.
As an SCT Dealer and Calibrator I have to get paid to provide a service, this is a service based business.

If they purchase an SCT Proracer Package from me I would Provide a good Base file to start with or if I have tuned they're car Provide their current tune.

When someone tries to back door me then ask for a tune file that is just not fair, so I just don't give them out to just anyone who asks.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
That makes sense. I thought these guys posting already had a remote tune from u
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Drives: RJT-2SS-RS-6M
I think there's two issues here.

One, is a tune file being in a dealer format(MTU from SCT) that can only be read or modified buy the dealer but it appears that another program(HPTuners) can read and modify it(MTU) as long as it is your current loaded tune. So if this is the case why not let the files be read and modified by all.

Two, is your ECM is locked by a tune shop and nobody has access to do anything unless you have the code to get in.

In both case I think its bull. To say the tune file is intellectual property....well its my car and anything in it is mine. I voided the warranty and gave up the right of having it repaired if any tuning or mods caused the damage. So if any tune shop wants to carry the warranty after the tune is installed...... well I think there is only a few and there is specific clauses that they have. As for for locking me out of my ECM......it would be all out war if that happened.

SSawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #41
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
That is a good point about warranting their work or engine damage if they lock the tune! That would be well worth it being locked! But I don't think anyone would warrant an engine pushing 6-700 hp! Just saying!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Unlocked but I leave footprints...
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote