Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 10-23-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Frustrated with vendors

I continue to complete upgrades on my car and recently I have experienced to cases with which I have placed orders from vendors only to be notified a few days later that the parts are not in stock or back ordered up to two months. In both cases the vendor has already received the funds (credit card), and when the part was ordered their was no mention that the parts were not in stock or back ordered. If this was the cases as mentioned I would never place the order. What gives? Are the vendors so desperate that they are willing to mislead us just to get our money? Some of the vendors are sponsors on this site, they need to step up and provide more accurate information on their web sites. I will mention that both vendors have offered to refund my money.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
I too believe that to be the case . I won't say all vendors but I'll say just some.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Remember they make their money here. I'm pretty sure the vendor will post the usual "I'm sorry please contact me for a refund" post soon and majority of these people will eat that up like cake. I ordered the "new and better fit headers!" From TSP and it wasn't redesigned at all. They just put a merge collector and sold it. Then they said "it was redesigned to fit because of another issue" when a search reveals the steering rack to be the only issue, but they denied that. Most are just salesman and to be honest the price they sell aren't that good. Amazon had my nitrous kit for 600$ when retailed here for 1,200$. Just use them for part numbers/knowledge if you need it and search for better prices.

But some are legit as well. The FSP guys, Bo White, and plenty others.

But I give them credit, they gotta deal with the people who don't search for anything and keep the threads of "how many hp will a CAI add."
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
Remember they make their money here. I'm pretty sure the vendor will post the usual "I'm sorry please contact me for a refund" post soon and majority of these people will eat that up like cake. I ordered the "new and better fit headers!" From TSP and it wasn't redesigned at all. They just put a merge collector and sold it. Then they said "it was redesigned to fit because of another issue" when a search reveals the steering rack to be the only issue, but they denied that. Most are just salesman and to be honest the price they sell aren't that good. Amazon had my nitrous kit for 600$ when retailed here for 1,200$. Just use them for part numbers/knowledge if you need it and search for better prices.

But some are legit as well. The FSP guys, Bo White, and plenty others.

But I give them credit, they gotta deal with the people who don't search for anything and keep the threads of "how many hp will a CAI add."
This

And Amazon doesn't charge you until they ship. I always research items then by them from Amazon. My wife is finally gettting use to the Amazon boxes Every day.

I recently bought a new front splitter to replace a damaged one...Amazon..free shipping and best price By Far.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Agreed with above statements I hardly buy from vendors here usually you can find them cheaper online, unless it's a one off thing. It's convenient for most to just buy from people one here but honestly shop around and doing some research will save you in the long run.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Amazon is like the vendors worst nightmare, they usually are at 10-40% below market value and with prime have fast shipping.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You'll also find a lot of the venders don't stock anything, they simply drop ship.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
Amazon is like the vendors worst nightmare, they usually are at 10-40% below market value and with prime have fast shipping.

How can it be below market value? It appears to me that the market value is determined for "whatever" you can sell it for. So, for a vendor to complain they are being undercut, then the vendor needs to change his business practice.

A little off subject here, but I too am pretty fed up with the small mom and pop online stuff, not all, but there's enough that its an issue. I posted the same issue a few months ago with my frustration at ordering stuff online direct from the vendor only to be stalled for about a month, not days, a month.

Don't sell if you don't have it or clearly state a "conservative" delivery time.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
There are items on Amazon the come up at the top of the search and are substantially more than if you change the searchto yield more results and filter by price. There is always someone willing to take your money. In general, I find if a vendor is getting stuff from China and repackaging it, you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes if you don't need 100 of them, the vendor breaking bulk for you is a better deal.

There is a lot of footwork to parts sourcing at lower prices, so lots of people just pay the price of the first thing that comes up in the search. For me the extra effort is worth the money as I sit in front of computer all day anyway.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
...when the part was ordered there was no mention that the parts were not in stock or back ordered. If this was the cases as mentioned I would never place the order.
That is why they don't mention it.

As stated by others, a good many vendors are just middle men. They take/process the orders and the item is drop shipped directly from the manufacturer to the customer. The vendor you deal with may actually have no inventory at all.

It's always best to use vendors whose sites tell you if an item is in stock or not, and how quickly it will ship. If this info is not on their site, give them a call and ask them before ordering.

"Buyer beware!"
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That is why they don't mention it.

As stated by others, a good many vendors are just middle men. They take/process the orders and the item is drop shipped directly from the manufacturer to the customer. The vendor you deal with may actually have no inventory at all.

It's always best to use vendors whose sites tell you if an item is in stock or not, and how quickly it will ship. If this info is not on their site, give them a call and ask them before ordering.

"Buyer beware!"
This. I usually ask to see if the product is in stock then make the choice to buy it or not. Most of the vendors here will get back to you very quickly to see if they have it in stock or not.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
rdame

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Buying has always been like this. Hence the phrase caveat emptor. If you are dealing with a small vendor then do your due diligence. Small mom and pop operations are the backbone of the hot rod industry. However small operations are also the riskiest to buy from because everyone looks big on the internet. You don't know if they have the buying power to get 50 sets of headers at a time or if they are a dorm room hot rod shop drop shipping. You don’t know if they are swimming in cash or barely hanging on. Were they really really good and suddenly overwhelmed by their success? If you go there and are buying a part and want some honest expertise, and they possess that knowledge, then be willing to pay a little premium for that. Look to buy from them through a storefront that will have some kind of standards for seller and will step in of things go hinky like Amazon. Larger vendors are different and more out there with different problems like OEM'ing a product and then stepping back if there is an issue with the manufacturer. Maybe Fred the shipper is new and screwed up the inventory and billing. However larger less than optimal suppliers are outed pretty quickly if they have poor practices and customer service. The fortunate thing is now that the internet is here pricing is no secret. Customer service and relations is no secret. Reviews are everywhere and even though everyone can end up with a troll or two, the preponderance of the reviews is usually pretty accurate over time. Just make sure to view it with a grain of salt. Gouging and high prices are outed pretty quickly. Being part of a specific community, like Camaro5 kind of makes us fish in a barrel. Focused interests and typically anxious to buy. Camaro5 seems to do a good job of keeping the riff raff out, but they are there. I have noted change in customer service and quality in all areas of products and buying. Tight economies are forcing smaller margins and stores are often squeezing the quality out of the product and customer service to survive. Bottom line is knowing your supplier and protect yourself with using a CC, PayPal, and your search engine. All that being said, s*@# happens. Even the best suppliers have bad days as do customers. Sometimes things just go sideways. If you run this then just work it out. Use the tools at hand. Get a promised delivery and weeks later it is not there. Protest the charge. Sometimes you have to just take the loss and vote with your feet, and have the endurance to not buy there not matter how good the sale. I just spent some money with a well known sponsor here on this board who is well liked and has great reviews. They also had a few nasty ones also, but everyone who is in the business will have a few. How they handle them is what matters most. I still drove down to see them face to face. I actually ended up there because another reputable sponsor never responded to me despite two conversations and several emails. Their communications and follow up with the supplier I bought from were prompt and quick, despite their full days. I voted with my feet. If they are too busy when I am trying to buy, how will they be after the purchase. They may be the greatest supplier in the world but I am done with them.

My only comment for vendors is customers are your bread and butter. Know your market and what it takes to keep it happy and healthy. Customer service is a key component to that... If a customer asks if something is in stock and you tell him it is and know it is not, or will process a refund and then do not, then don't be surprised if the smoke rises. On the other hand you can be rewarded handsomely if you generate a happy client base.

My 2 cents, or may more like my $2

Last edited by rdame; 10-23-2015 at 12:31 PM.
rdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
The right thing to do is charge your card when the product ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
In both cases the vendor has already received the funds (credit card)
This is your best defense for those that don't offer a refund or a call back because you can dispute the charge. Either you get your money back or the vendor gets it in gear and ships your merchandise. Love that!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
BaronConcepts

Drives: Camaro
I am not a huge vendor, so my experience might be slightly different.

Sometimes not all systems are 100% synced because I am a small vendor and don't have resources for expensive computer system that tracks inventory everywhere. Therefore I manually adjust inventory across my marketplaces. Very rarely, I am low on stock and get several orders at night or when I am busy. Unfortunately I am not able to adjust inventory right away on another website and I get a sale there as well. Of course I am forced to refund right away.

However, I NEVER have this issue when I have a "manual" sale because I check inventory before I offer the item or get asked about price/availability.
BaronConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote