Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Harsh grinding/vibration on heavy braking

2010 Camaro V6 auto, Pedders supers, zl1 rear sway, stainless brakelines, hawk race pads, bushings are red all over. Autocross this thing once a month hard and fast.

When in a hard brake (coming to a hard stop vs. slow braking into an eased stop) I am experiencing severe grinding/vibration. It feels like ABS on steroids.

Everything is tight and secure except the Front left hub seemed to have issues, replaced that. New brake pads. Rotors were lathed. Wheels balanced, rotated etc. Dot 4 Brake fluid flushed. Still. Weird brake issues. Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Any shiny spots on the rotor where it might be hitting the caliper bracket where you have a bearing issue?

Did the noise change at all when you turned the rotors?

what pads before, what pads now.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Any shiny spots on the rotor where it might be hitting the caliper bracket where you have a bearing issue?

Did the noise change at all when you turned the rotors?

what pads before, what pads now.
Hawk racing before and after.

Brackets aren't issue, checked them too.

Camaro Gremlin so far leading cause.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

lol, Hawk makes 3 street pads, and a number of race pads,

Street pads are Ceramic, HPS, and HP+ being the most agressive,
The Track compounds have a lot of options, do you know which ones you have and were they the same model both times?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Same pads before and after
Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

ok, i'm guess that you have the HP+ pads, it's just what they do, the grinding means they are stopping good, lol
just be sure the other things i mentioned are good.

going to the HPS pads for the street might not be a bad idea, less noise, less dust, less stopping, but still very good.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
ok, i'm guess that you have the HP+ pads, it's just what they do, the grinding means they are stopping good, lol
just be sure the other things i mentioned are good.

going to the HPS pads for the street might not be a bad idea, less noise, less dust, less stopping, but still very good.

Nope. This is new and severe. Since I had them before I know what they are like. This is intense. Like the subframe is getting ripped out bad vibration. Which didn't happen before. It also appeared days after the brake pad swap. I doubt it is the pads since we used them before and never experienced something like this. But...as I type all this, Keith and I were discussing swapping the pads out to make sure since we seemed to have tested everything out.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

And again upon further thought.....I am going to check that box. Wondering if they shipped me the race only pads vs the HP+ pads for autoX etc...the dang box looks the same and part #'s are so close I wonder that may have happened.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

not a bad idea if it's that bad.
when you have things apart look for shiny spots on things.
make sure the caliper bolts are all tight and didn't come loose.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I recently ran my HP+ pads down to around 30% at the track. I noticed that my DBA rotors had heavy black spots that were spread evenly over the rotor surface (intermittent black spots with shiny rotor metal in between).

I swapped in my Hawk Performance Ceramics and immediately, I got a severe vibration upon heavy brake pedal pressure. Coming lightly/normally to a stop did not incur any vibrations, but coming down from high speed with firm pedal pressure would make the car shake as you mentioned. I was pretty sure that it was the black spots that the HP+ pads left on my rotor. After driving an autocross event with the PC pads and about a week of driving, the black spots faded out and the vibration is now gone.

Check your rotors to see if you have heavy black streaks/patches on them, it could be the same thing I experienced.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I recently ran my HP+ pads down to around 30% at the track. I noticed that my DBA rotors had heavy black spots that were spread evenly over the rotor surface (intermittent black spots with shiny rotor metal in between).

I swapped in my Hawk Performance Ceramics and immediately, I got a severe vibration upon heavy brake pedal pressure. Coming lightly/normally to a stop did not incur any vibrations, but coming down from high speed with firm pedal pressure would make the car shake as you mentioned. I was pretty sure that it was the black spots that the HP+ pads left on my rotor. After driving an autocross event with the PC pads and about a week of driving, the black spots faded out and the vibration is now gone.

Check your rotors to see if you have heavy black streaks/patches on them, it could be the same thing I experienced.
Will do, this sounds as I described. We just did do a lathe on the rotors do you think that would resolve it if it was the residue from the pads?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Will do, this sounds as I described. We just did do a lathe on the rotors do you think that would resolve it if it was the residue from the pads?
I can't imagine the residue causing the severe vibration you are experiencing.

When was the last time your calipers were rebuilt or replaced?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I can't imagine the residue causing the severe vibration you are experiencing.

When was the last time your calipers were rebuilt or replaced?
Never replaced. They were inspected for this but if they were rebuilt--I do not know; I would have to ask Glenn. We put on new rotors. Same issues present. Put the old brake pads back on. Issues gone. We are guessing improper bedding of new brake pads. I am getting another set to validate this theory.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Never replaced. They were inspected for this but if they were rebuilt--I do not know; I would have to ask Glenn. We put on new rotors. Same issues present. Put the old brake pads back on. Issues gone. We are guessing improper bedding of new brake pads. I am getting another set to validate this theory.
How did you bed them?
Can you put the new old pads back in or do you need Glenn for that?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote