Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
My LLT engine is blown on my 2LT, any recommendations?

Hello to all in the general discussion thread. I posted a thread in the V6 section but am now cross posting as I am seriously thinking about trading in my 2LT for a 2SS and want anyone's opinion on what I should do.

This is my second Camaro and this 2LT has blown up on me at 6400 miles and GM only wants to fix the motor... I want a new engine or a new car, so I may flip it for a 2ss that they have on the used lot. It is not the Camaro I would have ordered, but it's got a nice LS3 M6 that ain't in pieces right now.

here are my issues:

- I ordered a M6 2LT Summit white no stripes, no sunroof car, I could trade it for a 2ss Yellow sunroof car withbblack stripes.

Just not my favorite color and at 6 foot 2, the sunroof takes up most of the remaining headroom and my hair rubs on the roofline, even with the seat all the way down. Are their any solutions for the headroom? Seat mods? Anything?

-I ordered by 2lt with 18" heritage steelies for winter driving here in Montreal. I ordered them slimmer to cut throughout the snow and last winter my 2LT was great in the storms we had and all, so I would driver this 2ss in the snow, but of course on far fewer days.

Issue is I have 2 full sets of wheels now, the 18" heritage wheels don't fit the 2ss I have heard, any ideas here?

-third issue is money. I paid $34000 for this car and they would only give me $20000 for this one with only 6400 miles on it (10000 kms) this would leave $18000 to pay for the 2SS plus tire/wheel woes... Ouch.

I have my feelers out to anyone that could lend a helping hand who knows anyone at GM to get involved to see what could be done. I miss my second gen 75 Camaro so badly right now and to have my fifth gen die on me like this just sucks so badly I feel terrible right now.

Originally they promised me a new engine, but the district service manage came by the dealership personally to see this engine and declined the new motor even though this one is in pieces right now and looks like it will never run right again... The whole story is on this thread, with lots on pictures of the tear down process...it's not for the feint of heart and it's pretty technical at times. Thanks in advance to anyone that has info that could help! Long live Chevy!

eB

The engine tear down thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101727

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
you payed 34k for a 2lt?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
you payed 34k for a 2lt?

Thats 2SS money right there.

I would not get the used SS if it is not a color you like. You will regret it if you do.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
And you also said the same thing in the other thread and said it would cost 35k for a 2011 2LT. No way.

Unless you had to roll a remaining balance into your loan. Banks don't typicaly like to do that. Not that big a percentage anyway.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I am 6'3" and have a 2SSRS with sunroof and I have no problem at all with head room, Ya, I can touch my head to the roof if I try to but its not a problem, especially without a ball cap on. Lower your seat as low as it can go and lay it back where it should be and you will have plenty of head room!!!

Lots of money for an LT. There is a used, black 2SSRS on a local lot that they are asking right at $34K for and its loaded with less then 1000 miles on it. Seems very high priced for an LT???

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
SinCorazon

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT RS
34,000 CAD?
SinCorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
StevenMarrocco

Drives: INFERNO ORANGE Camaro, 2LT RS.
I paid 37 900 for my 2lt \ RS, the prices are a lot higher here in canada
StevenMarrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMarrocco View Post
I paid 37 900 for my 2lt \ RS, the prices are a lot higher here in canada

I paid 37k for my 2SS/RS (plus tax 2k)

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
First off, why did the engine go out on you?

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
First off, why did the engine go out on you?
He said this is his second camaro... Ummm I have to ask, what was wrong with the first one?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
He said this is his second camaro... Ummm I have to ask, what was wrong with the first one?
His first one was a 1975, chances are it has been recycled by now.

I had this same problem with a 1998 Monte, it had just under 50k on it and GM was on the hook to repair it under my warranty. They ended up replacing just the short block, but I had the dealer go through the heads and make sure they were clean and no shavings. It all worked out well, still have the car with 30K on the engine.

I would let them fix the problem, you still have plenty warranty left on the car. Then if you want you could still trade it in on an upgrade without taking such a big hit on it ... IMO
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
His first one was a 1975, chances are it has been recycled by now.

I had this same problem with a 1998 Monte, it had just under 50k on it and GM was on the hook to repair it under my warranty. They ended up replacing just the short block, but I had the dealer go through the heads and make sure they were clean and no shavings. It all worked out well, still have the car with 30K on the engine.

I would let them fix the problem, you still have plenty warranty left on the car. Then if you want you could still trade it in on an upgrade without taking such a big hit on it ... IMO
ahhhh thanks for clarifying...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
I got 22.5K trade in for my 1LT-Non RS,Auto... I got my 1SS for 33K.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO

My 2LT was $37 /$32 list price.
LS = $26995
1LT = $28065
2LT = $32030
1SS = $37065
2SS = $41430
Now add the Options
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine, v6 vs v8 trade in