Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I thought no politics on the forum meant NO POLITICS ON THE FORUM!

Seriously this is getting silly. If there's a rule, that rule should be upheld, regardless of the politics you're discussing. There's an almost outright hate towards liberals at times here which I found disheartening.

I know the muscle car culture inherently attracts more conservatives then liberals, but there are some of us here and quite frankly we are not the enemy, we too want V8s to stay, we too love RWD, we too love fun cars, and I know I at least have many times "bit my tongue" so as to not react on some of the things said since I thought the rule "No Politics" applied to everyone.

So please all posters stop this and let's just come together in our love for cars, the Camaro in particular. And please mods, enforce this rule more vigorously. If it's a rule, then it's a rule and everyone should follow it.

Thank you for your time.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Haha, I got in before the first lock.

BTW, what is politic?

Last edited by PQ; 08-12-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
You telling us how to do our job? And what thread or threads are you talking about?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
You telling us how to do our job? And what thread or threads are you talking about?..and isnt this thread discussing politics? I better close it..lol
Closed
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
if there's anything you want us to look at. Use the report button at the bottom of every post.
We cant be everywhere at once
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Closed
re-opened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
Seriously this is getting silly. If there's a rule, that rule should be upheld, regardless of the politics you're discussing. There's an almost outright hate towards liberals at times here which I found disheartening.

I know the muscle car culture inherently attracts more conservatives then liberals, but there are some of us here and quite frankly we are not the enemy, we too want V8s to stay, we too love RWD, we too love fun cars, and I know I at least have many times "bit my tongue" so as to not react on some of the things said since I thought the rule "No Politics" applied to everyone.

So please all posters stop this and let's just come together in our love for cars, the Camaro in particular. And please mods, enforce this rule more vigorously. If it's a rule, then it's a rule and everyone should follow it.

Thank you for your time.
As I always explain it, the no-politics rule works something like this:
thought out discussion of what is happening is allowed. But unfounded generalizations and characterization from either end of the spectrum is not.

From the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
3) No Politics we tried this before, it didn't work. Too much emotion and spill-over into the other areas of the site. We are open to the idea in the future if our members can prove that then can discuss politics rather than argue and make over the top partisan remarks. What is allowed are facts as they relates to the auto industry. Saying "the Obama administration has the majority of the shares in GM" is allowed, but launching into a tirade along the lines of "those damm Communists in Washington are trying to nationalize everything" simply isn't.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
First off, thank you DGthe3 for re-opening the thread.

Thank you for clarifying it for me, I had misunderstood the rule. Sadly I still think it is mostly generalized statements that I have seen. And it's happened throughout the forums so it's not like it's an isolated phenomenon.

Recently the most shocking of which was in this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36730 in post nr 31 and 38. As you will see I reacted to those in my post nr 66. Those where really out of the blue and think you will agree where some pretty blatant generalizations and just plain ignorant.

And believe me, I want to talk these kinds of things trough. Just because someone doesn't agree with me politically doesn't mean I automatically think they're an idiot. Although some posts make me wonder.

In the future I'll make sure to report posts that I find in violations of the rule.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
We should all help the mods with reporting posts that violate forum guidelines!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
I think you would be the first person to request this.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
I think you would be the first person to request this.
I believe so
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I for one believe a rational political discussion can occur in this forum. If a separate section is created and there is a disclaimer which lets everyone know as they enter that if they personally attack anyone they will not be allowed to re-enter the area. Furthermore to keep people from creating new users and simply going back in, you place restrictions where only members that have been on the site for six months may be allowed to post in the area.. With those two simple rules in place, a free flowing discussion by those interested can and will occur..

Quote:

Thank you for your time.
If my rules above were in place, you wouldn't have to even go to that area if you wouldn't want to since it would be contained. It is unavoidable that people have feelings and at times need to express their emotions on political subjects, especially since our Government is intertwined with what is happening to General Motors. Don't you think having a controlled section would lessen the amount of those emotions leaking into posts in other areas of the forum if those people have a place to go? I believe it would be a win win situation for you since there would be less of a chance you would see political posts in other areas? Don't you think?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok. Now my post looks silly.

Gotta edit.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I for one believe a rational political discussion can occur in this forum. If a separate section is created and there is a disclaimer which lets everyone know as they enter that if they personally attack anyone they will not be allowed to re-enter the area. Furthermore to keep people from creating new users and simply going back in, you place restrictions where only members that have been on the site for six months may be allowed to post in the area.. With those two simple rules in place, a free flowing discussion by those interested can and will occur..

If my rules above were in place, you wouldn't have to even go to that area if you wouldn't want to since it would be contained. It is unavoidable that people have feelings and at times need to express their emotions on political subjects, especially since our Government is intertwined with what is happening to General Motors. Don't you think having a controlled section would lessen the amount of those emotions leaking into posts in other areas of the forum if those people have a place to go? I believe it would be a win win situation for you since there would be less of a chance you would see political posts in other areas? Don't you think?
Well, you certainly have a thoughtful proposition. Here's the previous issue we ran into, though...and I suspect even in your case, it would happen.

I'm sure you're aware that we did have a dedicated section at one point. There were two very large issues with it. One, people couldn't contain themselves. And we were left with massive cleanup jobs on our hands right in the middle of another mess. I think that within two weeks, we'd have kicked 90% of people out of the proposed section. Two, It spills out into the forum regardless of the civility. And then that pisses off all the people that intentionally stay out of the dedicated section. This, again, leaves us to clean up a mess.

Frankly, we felt bad that our members couldn't handle politics without resorting to....less-than-nice...comments all the time, but we haven't seen a change. I don't mean to pick on Emher, but I suspect that if this rule didn't exist for him to use as rationalization, he'd have retaliated in full-force. This is true of most members.

Let me set up a scenario for you -- suppose you create a political thread with 0 slant(this is important, because the OP sets the tone for the thread), and intend only to discuss a policy as it pertains to the auto Industry. Suppose it goes without a blasting post for three pages. Suppose it dies because the discussion reached it's end. This is fine. I don't believe any of the mods would have deleted it.

Suppose the above scenario happens again, but post 10 is a failure of a post. Rude, slanted, and absolutely uncalled for. We're back to square one.

And starting to kick people out of sections because they can't handle it is a good idea, but I don't think it's practical....it rubs people wrong, and it really doesn't remove the problem. Said punk will likely go into a different thread and blast somebody for getting kicked out of the section, plus, he/she had to create a problem to get kicked out in the first place....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
We should all help the mods with reporting posts that violate forum guidelines!
That would be VERY appreciated, and it's really the easiest way to get a case-by-case issue solved quickly. Those reported posts are emailed to us, and I for one have my email open the entire time I'm on the forum.

Closed Thread