Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
SSCOTT25

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2014 Ford Raptor
Looking to buy 2011 or 12 Convert

I am looking to buy a 2011 or 2012 Camaro 2ss convertible as a weekend car. I would like to find one with 5 to 10 thousand miles. What should I be looking to pay? I have seen some used ones for 29,999 and a new 2012 for 8,000 off msrp.

Also has anyone trade in a 2011 or 2012 2SS convertible? If so what were you given as a trade value?
SSCOTT25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
I'd wait...

Personally, I wouldn't want to spin the Wheel of Woes by buying either year convertible.
If you can wait, I'd look for a 2013 when the 2014s become available.
The newly-designed '14 should put a nice selection of '13s on the used market.

Just my 2-cents.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to spin the Wheel of Woes by buying either year convertible.
If you can wait, I'd look for a 2013 when the 2014s become available.
The newly-designed '14 should put a nice selection of '13s on the used market.

Just my 2-cents.
I agree. 2013's seem to have a lower "issue" rate.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCOTT25 View Post
I am looking to buy a 2011 or 2012 Camaro 2ss convertible as a weekend car. I would like to find one with 5 to 10 thousand miles. What should I be looking to pay? I have seen some used ones for 29,999 and a new 2012 for 8,000 off msrp.

Also has anyone trade in a 2011 or 2012 2SS convertible? If so what were you given as a trade value?
Scott there are a "few" of us out there that have not had any problems with our tops (yet).
Just be informed, know what to look for, and be comfortable with your decision.

Do they problems? Yes.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Think of it this way. Would you put 30 grand down on Black or Red? Knowing what we know about these cars especially the 2011's and early 2012's going into it, I would not. I was dumb and thought the issues were isolated in 2011 and ordered up my 2012 anyway. Guess what? GM ended up buying it back before I went the Lemon Law route. I say Caveat Emptor with the first two years.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
So far so good with mine as well. Of course this forum has me freaked out about it. However, ragtops may be unique to themselves. Someone around my place drives a mint 99 Trans-Am and the top is perfect. Maybe it is a new top but who knows. Just last week an almost brand new BMW ragtop was looking like a bundled up rag doll, creases and folds everywhere. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" car...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del's12SS View Post
Scott there are a "few" of us out there that have not had any problems with our tops (yet).
Just be informed, know what to look for, and be comfortable with your decision.

Do they problems? Yes.
Agreed. Also think the idea of seeing what used ones come on the market after the 14's are released is a good idea, but just make sure you know the history of the car before you buy. When I was looking last year, most of the used Camaros in my neck of the woods were rental cars, which I would not touch, given how they get abused (or test driven ).
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
OP, I understand you are just asking for price. But you see there is a little bit of concern for the convertibles. I'm posting this not to scare you off, but to give you information on which to make your decision. You have your own level of anxiety to deal with and only you can say whether or not you are willing to take the chance of having to deal with a bad top. Here, its easier for me to just quote a recent post;
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
As has been said on here, many, many, many times, the problems haven't been in the problem itself (as in the tops being defective), the problems have been in the way they were addressed by the dealerships AND GM (for those that don't know, you can kick back a couple of years and see the start of the answers that were given to those that had problems. I won't go through all that here).

But the good news is, it appears that GM has started to come around and NOT be blatantly argumentative with these problems and are starting to back off blaming the customer with the "normal" comments. Is it because a lot of us who had problems continued to put pressure on? Possibly. Is it because many who have problems now also have information in hand to address the problems? Could be. We are now seeing a bit more often an actual conversation between customer and dealership about a strategy to address the problem. As opposed to a confrontation about it not even being a problem (or a problem caused by the customer)

But regardless of reasons, you now have information on these problems to base your decisions upon. Information is power and you need to decide if you can put up with these issues if you are one of the "lucky" ones that get them.

As far as the numbers of cars with problems; unless GM is willing to give out information and numbers, we'll never know the extent of the problem. Those that say it is very limited point to the people that have no problem. Those that say its extensive, point to the people that do have problems. Suffice it to say, that there is a known problem out there. The extent of which is unknown but it is there.
So with that being said, you now have some input to base your decision on. If you want more info on people with problems, you can hop on the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/ But keep in mind that the page is there specifically to help people having problems. So its obviously a little bit of a skewed look.

Now as for the 2013's. They have not had the immediate problem that we saw with the 2011's, 2012's. That shows promise. We are keeping our fingers crossed that when those cars come out of winter "hiding", we will not see an influx of problems.

Again, not meant to scare you off, just meant for you to have an informed decision.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
SSCOTT25

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2014 Ford Raptor
It will only be driven when the top is down on nice days. I seem to be finding that most of the problems are with the top being up. Are there any issues with top down driving?
SSCOTT25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Understand that you can have an issue with any car. I had the problem with my early run 2011 and did get it fixed. Yes it was a pain but I wanted this car and my dealer did work hard to get the correct fix done. I know at least 5 other people who have 2011 and 2012 verts and never had a problem.
Yes it's an issue but it is fixable.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Hello SSCOTT25,

Exciting news to be now looking into a new Camaro convertible for yourself. It seems you have some more thinking to do before your set on a specific model or year. I would like to offer my assistance here with any questions on specific models, vehicle locates or even to set up a test drive for you. Just private message us when you’re ready. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
It will only be driven when the top is down on nice days. I seem to be finding that most of the problems are with the top being up. Are there any issues with top down driving?
The issues are top up or down. Nice days or not nice days don't matter. When you wash your car the issues can still bite you.

If the car you are looking for ends up being built prior to April 2012 (that seems to be the date that some people stand by), you are risking the following issues:

1) Old revision water bag that is smaller in volume causing tight fit with top down and/or installed improperly allowing water to collect inside the car. Most times water ends up in rear floor pan area
2) Older revision 5th bow that causes issues that I'm not really familiar with but it can snag on the top (I think) and break
3) Looser fitting top that doesn't fold up as snug as newer revisions and then it rubs on the back trim while in the down position and no tonneau cover installed. Eventually a hole can be worn in the canvas prematurely as compared to "normal" wear on a canvas top.
4) A TSB that was issued to correct one of the brackets pinching the top when in the down position creating a V shaped mark above both passenger windows. This wear mark can quickly develop into a hole.

I think that covers the major risks. Maybe there are more that I missed. I'm on my second top installed in September of 2012. This summer will be the test to see how it holds up.

Here's a link to my old top vs new top pictures. You can see a much better fit in the new top...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248940
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Scott, I am lucky enough to have a vert with no issues. It was built April 2011. I think if you just educate yourself here on exactly what to look for in a used vert, you'll know right away whether or not the one you are considering is a lemon. As for what to pay, check out auto trader or the like to see what there are going for. Good luck!!
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:

I posted this some time ago, and, along with many other forum members posts, makes for info to educate yourself if you're interested in a 2011 or 2012 5th Gen. Convertible
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=2

I've reposted it below:

"I haven't encountered any problems with any part of my 'vert, as of yet. I noticed a few days after having her that my top might have the notorious rub mark(s) as I had an approx. quarter-sized oval light spot on the passenger side but that buffed out and it hasn't reappeared. I have no water leaks and I only have a little wind noise. Overall, I'm very, very happy with my Camaro Convertible, thus far.

Keep in mind, there are several ways in which to interpret the information found in our forums. While there are apparently a good number of members who have had siginificant and multiple top problems - which is cause for great concern, the overall number of 5th gen. 'vert owners w. top problems may be a very small percentage relative to all 'vert owners. Or it might not be.

There is no way to really know for certain how many 5th gen. 'vert owners either do or do not have top problems who aren't members here (I'm confident GM would have the numbers if the dealers report them). There could be hundreds or thousands or only several dozen. Keep in mind this forum is not an accurate representation of all 'vert owners who may or may not have top problems.

You've done the right thing, however. That is to solicit input from the members and perhaps you could research a little further by inspecting existing 'verts on several dealer lots. Ask the service managers how many top problems they've dealt with (hopefully they'll be forthright about these issues) and hope for the best. The 5th gen. Camaro Convertible is a great, great car, aesthecially and performance-wise."

I'm also reposting more content below:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...05#post4130105

"I'm a 5th Gen. 'vert owner whose vehicle has NOT experienced any significant issues, thus far, with ~1,800 miles driven (primarily top down) and most often without the tonneau cover affixed. BTW, I purchased my Camaro Convertible on July 30th and it was a very late build date.

I'd like to refer you to this thread, and my post, in particular.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=2

Mind you, there are owners on this forum who know more about cars than I could ever hope to learn. Therefore, what I've stated in my post shouldn't be regarded as "gospel" but certainly weighed against all other evidence.

Given such, the 5th Gen. Convertible does seem as though it could be a risky proposition given the many top issues across both 2011 and 2012 MYs and trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS - irrespective of whether they're RS optioned) as well as many problems reported with tops that have been replaced.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to test drive a couple of convertibles that you might be interested in, inspect the tops first, then test drive with top up and top down and then ask them to hose them off really well and check for leaks in the trunk, seats, floor boards, etc."

Furthermore, the tops appear to have many different problems such a "Rub Marks", the "Wave", broken 5th bows, leaking tops, rear quarter windows which seem to not line up or quit working (in particular after some top replacements). Leaks from the front roof area where the top latches onto the windshield frame (look from above down onto the windshield frame and where the "hooks" from the top latch into the frame, there is a recessed area that should have a black plastic "protector" or liner in it - if it's missing, it needs to be replaced.

In addition, owners have reported water leaking into the back seat, back floor board and front floor board areas (driver and or passenger sides) after rain or washing. Apparently from damaged or incorrectly installed water drainage bags which sit in the sides of the body behind the doors(?).

The broken "5th Bow" is a bow towards the back of the top which can break either by letting the top down or putting it up. I "think" it usually happens when the top is lowered.

I don't think there have been any significant issues with the rear window delamination. However, if the window breaks, in order to replace the window, the entire top needs to be taken off and put back on.

There have been many reports of "wind noise", generally coming from the areas around the rear quarter windows or the rear corner between the quarter windows and rear window.

There have been reports of "fraying" of the encased wire loom that connects from the vehicles to the inside of the trunk lid. Obviosly comes from the casing rubbing against the rubber insulation around the trunk when opening and closing trunk.

Those seem to be the issues that I recall most and that I monitor for on a regular basis. I've had my 2011 'vert for almost 2 years and have only encountered very light rub marks which have gone away and the "wave" above the doors.

We had wicked rain here in N. VA earlier this week and I had my 'vert sitting in the driveway instead of the carport and enountered no dampness in the interior of the car.

Another "issue" you may want to double check is whether the bolts for the tonneau cover have been installed, otherwise, it is highly likely that it will fly off and become airborne if not fastened correctly. I believe later MY '12's have a slightly different tonneau cover fastener which has an elastic cord which wraps around the bolts instead of the slide-on tab that slides onto / over bolts. The bolts, however, MUST be there and they don't come pre-installed from the factory - which is completely stupid and idiotic (I believe I speak for the vast majority of 'vert owners, here).

If you're intent on purchasing an '11 or '12 convertible, I'd be certain to purchase it from a GM dealer as a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned). I don't believe any optional warranty you may purchase (such as the General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP)) will extend the original new car warranty on the top but will cover a lot of mechanical issues - depending on the plan you may opt for. I would suggest doing THOROUGH research what type of service this vehicle has had and inspecting this top from front to back and inside out. Any GM dealer should be able to pull that up for you in their system as long as the vehicle was serviced at a GM dealer.

While the '11's and earlier MY '12's appear to have / had the highest incidence of problems, it's almost impossible to pinpoint with any degree of accuracey as to how many overall 5th Gen. 'vert owners actually have or have not had ANY problems with their tops. This forum seems to be the best source to gauge issues of owners who have come forward to share their experience(s). You MAY or may NOT encounter these problems anytime during your ownership.

One more issue to look for: when standing at the rear fender of the car, just behind the doors and looking across the width of the car with the TOP UP the lower portion of the top BELOW the windshield should be level or tucked below the black surround of the area immediately IN FRONT of the trunk. If it's sticking out above, that's a potentially SERIOUS problem. Some members have posted photos of this. Another thing to be aware of is that the sides of the top, when fully lowered, should be at or below the level of the rear fenders. If the sides are sticking out above the fenders, chances are there's a problem.

BTW, when you go looking and test driving, take your digital camera with you and take pics of anything that seems "odd" or you're not certain of and post here. Members will be most happy to quickly provide feedback.

Please keep us posted as to what you encounter during your search and whether you've decided to purchase a 2011 or 2012 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote