Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
JustBill74

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT RS
Buffing out scratches on the windshield..anyone do this?

I was looking for solutions to getting scratches out of my windshield and I stumbled upon this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ceriglass.html

Seems like a great product and with the videos shown, it seems to work as well. I am just curious if anyone here has done this or this type of thing for their windshields. Also, if you did, what pads did you use?

I am completely new to buffing and using a DA as well so....there is a first time for everything.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by JustBill74; 09-25-2012 at 12:55 PM.
JustBill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Here's my proven secret:

Go to your local Walmart and buy some CLR paste and SUPERFINE/ULTRAFINE steel wool. Wet the steel wool and apply the paste like your waxing your car (very gently). Let dry then wipe off. The glass will look like it just came out of the furnace. Perfect!

But don't blame me if you're too heavy handed and mess it up.
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
what is CLR paste??
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
Here's my proven secret:

Go to your local Walmart and buy some CLR paste and SUPERFINE/ULTRAFINE steel wool. Wet the steel wool and apply the paste like your waxing your car (very gently). Let dry then wipe off. The glass will look like it just came out of the furnace. Perfect!

But don't blame me if you're too heavy handed and mess it up.
Be careful with just a statement like "SUPERFINE/ULTRAFINE". That can be very subjective and if you don't specifically look for "0000" (four zero's) On the steel wool, You will jack up your glass if you're using anything more agreesive. The 0, 00, 000 are more agreesive.

Personally I would use a polish with a PC before touching my glass with steel wool unless its going after a slight chip or scratch in the glass.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
GTechniq has a special glass polish. If it's anything like everything else they make, it should be phenomenal.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
JustBill74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Be careful with just a statement like "SUPERFINE/ULTRAFINE". That can be very subjective and if you don't specifically look for "0000" (four zero's) On the steel wool, You will jack up your glass if you're using anything more agreesive. The 0, 00, 000 are more agreesive.

Personally I would use a polish with a PC before touching my glass with steel wool unless its going after a slight chip or scratch in the glass.
That is my plan. Polish using my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
GTechniq has a special glass polish. If it's anything like everything else they make, it should be phenomenal.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Appreciate the info! I will keep it in mind.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Speedforhire

Quote:
Be careful............
..........that's why I put the disclaimer in there about being heavy handed........LOL!

Just applying polish with the PC will not remove those micro type scratches from glass that come from being sand blasted while driving the freeway or the wiper blade marks. It will only cover them up. Remember, most glass has a hardness value of "6.5". Applying CLR paste with wet ultrafine wool (very gently) will remove the imperfections in glass.

FWIW........I've been a custom painter since the late 60's, so I stick with what is tried and true for me.

I think the OP will be fine...........
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
..........that's why I put the disclaimer in there about being heavy handed........LOL!

Just applying polish with the PC will not remove those micro type scratches from glass that come from being sand blasted while driving the freeway or the wiper blade marks. It will only cover them up. Remember, most glass has a hardness value of "6.5". Applying CLR paste with wet ultrafine wool (very gently) will remove the imperfections in glass.

FWIW........I've been a custom painter since the late 60's, so I stick with what is tried and true for me.

You're just whacko...................... but in the right kind of way
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:

speedforhire, not trying to be confrontational here, but the abrasiveness of the steel wool in conjunction with a paste could really get the OP into trouble that he might not be able to overcome on his own if he/she just follows your advice at face value and not be aware of the different "grades" of aggressiveness of the steel wool.

You've indicated yourself that you've been doing this 40+ years and have no doubt perfected the pressure need to correct the glass without having worrying how to fix it even if you did get heavy handed. For those novices out there, while it might take longer, it would probably be advisable to try the least abrasive solution and work their way to more a more aggressive solution until they have perfected their technique.

If that solution is 0000 steel wool with CLR polish, so be it, my only point was to make sure to use rated scale for the steel wool, try least aggressive option first before going out and grabbing any steel called "fine" and wrecking his window.

I think we'd all hate to hear that someone followed someone else advice and it wreck their glass because we didn't take the time to let them know the difference
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've done this using the correct steel wool method. It's not gonna come out perfect. It's going to make a little mark on your windshield that will end up more annoying than the scratches.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Speedforhire

Quote:
speedforhire, not trying to be confrontational here, but the abrasiveness of the steel wool in conjunction with a paste could really get the OP into trouble that he might not be able to overcome on his own if he/she just follows your advice at face value and not be aware of the different "grades" of aggressiveness of the steel wool.

You've indicated yourself that you've been doing this 40+ years and have no doubt perfected the pressure need to correct the glass without having worrying how to fix it even if you did get heavy handed. For those novices out there, while it might take longer, it would probably be advisable to try the least abrasive solution and work their way to more a more aggressive solution until they have perfected their technique.

If that solution is 0000 steel wool with CLR polish, so be it, my only point was to make sure to use rated scale for the steel wool, try least aggressive option first before going out and grabbing any steel called "fine" and wrecking his window.

I think we'd all hate to hear that someone followed someone else advice and it wreck their glass because we didn't take the time to let them know the difference
I'm gonna have to agree with you....... My techniques should only be reserved for the experienced. To the OP, just start out slow and build on what you become comfortable with. Remember: less is more! Don't rush it.

BTW! If you were closer to me I would do it for you (for free) and warranty my work! The proof is in the pudding, they say. Good luck to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Polishing out scratches from glass is hard work. Glass is much much harder then paint and usually requires a specific abrasive, cerium oxide, vs. the aluminum oxide found in most paint polishes.

Additionally, you generally need to use a lot of pressure and machine speed (rotary polishers are the best for this type of work).

There are a couple things to consider.

One, the windshield is safety glass, it has a piece of plastic sandwiched between two layers. If you get the windshield extremely hot the plastic can 'melt' or distort. This can badly distort vision.

Two, if the scratches are very deep and remove a lot of material to level them out you can create a concave shape to the windshield which will alter the way light passes through it, like eyeglasses. The result will be distorted vision.

CarPro CeriGlass is a cerium oxide based polish but you should still use caution when polishing your glass with it.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
JustBill74

The scratches are actually from using Bar Keepers Friend on my windshield (water spots). Turns out it did more harm than good. So, the scratches are not deep at all and are just minor but annoying.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
The Crusher
still a kid at heart

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS with sunroof
good info here...0000 super fine steel wool works!!! i can attest to that never used CLR and my problem wasnt scratches...it was presoak that had dried and stained my winshield.
The Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote