Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
tabshire95
Texas Raised

Drives: 2012 RS Grey 2LT Camaro
Lowering springs questions.

I'm finally venturing down the road of drop springs, the sad thing is I know nothing about them besides the fact that they make my car handle a little better and sit pretty. So any feed back on preference for drop springs would be awesome. And a few links to people posting threads of how they did theirs. Whether or not they did it at home or paid for instal, I prefer DIY work but if it's something I need some serious car smarts for I'm a little hesitant.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm actually looking into this too. I want to lower the car by about 1". For those that've done this, have you run into any ground clearance issues? My LT headers are slightly lower than the rest of the underbody, so just want to make sure they don't get caught up on anything.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I'm dropped 1.25 with MTI Racing springs. I paid for the install, but if you can change a strut, you'll be fine. I would have done them myself, but didn't have the time and wanted it done NOW. The ride is firmer, but not harsh IMO. If your wanting a stock like ride, get coilovers. I also have LT headers and Hi-Flo cats. My ground clearance at the cats is 3.25". I have to look ahead an be very aware of speed bumps and go over them at an angle. Have to angle in and out of my driveway as well. Wouldn't change a thing. Love the look.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
I just installed Hotchkis 1". It reduces some body roll. Its a little stiffer but not bad at all. I installed them myself and i am not an expert by any means. If I can do it, every guy should be able to do it or have their man card revoked. I installed the same ones on my wifes a few months back and I have hit the LT headers on speed bumps and scrape the bumper coming out if steep driveways, I wanted lower on my car but didn't want more clearance issues. The price for the Hotchkis is really reasonable too. I paid $178.

Before

After
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the input. I was wondering about speed bumps. Sounds like that could be an issue.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thanks for the input. I was wondering about speed bumps. Sounds like that could be an issue.
Its not bad, it was when i first installed them and wasn't thinking about it. Now I'm used to it and take bumps at an angle.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I installed the Hotchkis springs in both my coupe and my gf's vert. Love them, easy install.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Lowering coils will lower the center of gravity and that does improve handling. Lowering coils also will change the character of the ride. There is a space between the top of the strut and the strut mount / bumpstop. That is jounce travel space. When you lower you reduce the amount of jounce travle. Going down the road you don't notice that until you hit a sharp edge bump. With less jounce travel that bump becomes harsh. The challenge for a company that makes lowering coils is to lower the car and maintain ride quality. We feel our 220032 front and 220033 rear coils do a vey good job of that.

Lowering with coilovers like our Xa or Supercars, the amount of jounce travel is the same regardless of ride height. We accomplish this by adjusting height while screwing the entire monotube into or out of the lower mount so jounces travel remains the same regardless of ride height.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabshire95 View Post
I'm finally venturing down the road of drop springs, the sad thing is I know nothing about them besides the fact that they make my car handle a little better and sit pretty. So any feed back on preference for drop springs would be awesome. And a few links to people posting threads of how they did theirs. Whether or not they did it at home or paid for instal, I prefer DIY work but if it's something I need some serious car smarts for I'm a little hesitant.
On the V6, I's suggest going with the BMR V6 specific springs Part # SP052 or the Pfadt springs Part # 1410126. Both offer a 1.2~" drop and ride well.

Install is not bad at all and if you have ever done springs before, you will not have a problem. Just be sure to get an alignment and have them time the bushings afterward.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabshire95 View Post
Lowering springs are a very good option for people looking to lower their Camaro without spending a ton of money. The lower springs will obviously lower the center of gravity and that will really improve the handling and get rid of a good bit of the body roll. Now you will get a bit of a stiffer ride but isn't unbearable by any means.

We offer our BMR Suspension lowering springs in four different versions. We have our BMR 1" lowering springs (SP019), the BMR 1.4" lowering springs (SP022), the BMR split drop 1.4" front/1" rear lowering springs, and our BMR V6 specific 1.2" lowering springs. We have so many option so that you can get the exact look you are wanting using BMR lowering springs.

Here is the link to our installation instructions along with alignment specs so you can see what you are getting into if you decide to do the install your self. I will tell you that most of the our customers install their BMR lowering springs themselves in their garage or driveway so you can definitely do the install yourself as long as you have some hand tools and a little mechanical skills.

http://bmrsuspension.com/siteart/pro...R004_small.jpg
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Zac-C52SS

Drives: 2011 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS10's $ponsor View Post
The price for the Hotchkis is really reasonable too. I paid $178.
Where did you get them for $178?
Zac-C52SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Piccione Performance

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs & 2014 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac-C52SS View Post
Where did you get them for $178?

That must have been over 6 months ago, prices have increased slightly, PM if you need a set, my price is close to that.
We are Arizona's largest Hotchkis domestic dealer. All in stock and available for immediate shipping.
Hotchkis offers the best overall springs for a Camaro, the only way to improve on them is a coilover system.
Piccione Performance is offline   Reply With Quote