Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #43
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I can't speak to any Ford product (or care) but I do agree that this is a good naturally aspirated engine. It's just that if I asked my engine builder to build me a NOS engine using cast pistons and sintered rods and main caps (powdered steel which does not have the same molecular structure as nodular steel), he would look at me like I was on crack.

To each his own - I welcome anyone to throw 100 shot at it and put 20 runs on her to prove me wrong.
Well, anyone who is BUILDING an N20 motor (not a NOS motor) is probably looking to run at LEAST a 200 HP shot, if not more... and probably a multi-stage setup....

We are talking getting the most out of your otherwise stock motor....

So of course if you car going to BUILD a motor you would use the most robust pieces... that doesn't mean the stock one won't hold up...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #44
02pewtersix

Drives: 2013 ZL1
i ran 12.6x's. friend ran 12.2x's
02pewtersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #45
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
..well, somebody out there is doin shots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCAL SS View Post
we just finished a spray set up on a v6 on a 75 shot and drag rads runs 12.40s. oh yah yank stall converter and 4.10 gears also. i REALLY want to see a blower set up run
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=826
Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #46
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
..well, somebody out there is doin shots...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=826
I asked him to clarify if in fact it was a 2010 V6 Camaro... Don't believe he ever responded...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #47
LS/V6

Drives: 2SS\RS 1LE
Well someone will being doing it really soon here's the link...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=87
Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #48
waahehe94

Drives: C6 Corvette, Mustang + a few others
Nitrous Express makes what looks to be a nice kit for both the 5th gen V6 and V8 cars.I'm a big fan of both the Holley Nitrous Oxide kits and Nitrous Express kits, both company's know their stuff and have done their homework when it comes to designing a reliable nitrous kit .If you do add a nitrous kit I would recommend getting a set of drag radials also, nitrous add's a serious amount of torque as well as horsepower and wheelspin will probably be a problem even with the smaller 75 HP shots.

Here's a link to the NX kit http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ls.php?id=1452

I've ran a Nitrous Oxide kit (NOS) from Holley on my 1994 Mustang since 1997 without any problems and have also been spraying a 25 shot on my Polaris ATV that I dragrace at the local NHRA and IHRA tracks for the last three years.If you follow the instructions that come with the kit and don't try and get too greedy with how much you spray the nitrous kits are very reliable.

Here's some picture's of the Polaris and the nitrous kit

Last edited by waahehe94; 05-23-2010 at 02:29 AM.
waahehe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #49
Tx Red

Drives: 2000 A4 11.75@114
if my old 94 3.4 took more than 15 bottles and countless street runs with over 130k on the clock .....I'm sure the new camaro should have no problems with a 100 shot
scsb 14.6 tune only sold
08 escalade esv 14 sec suv
2010 2SS
Tx Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #50
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Wow, odd ya dusted off this thread. Kinda weird going back and reading through it. Seems so long ago.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #51
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
100 shot will kill that motor. It's not designed to take load. Pull it out and upgrade the internals if you really want to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Wow, odd ya dusted off this thread. Kinda weird going back and reading through it. Seems so long ago.
Yeah, I remember.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #52
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
Somebody PLEASE do this! Oh, and take pictures of the aftermath! LoL and Hylton, these V6 guys are some serious hot rodders(not like the ones they call "ricers" for putting nitrous on hondas)... You might want to come on back over the the V8 section so we can compare our man hood, or lack there of.
Some of us V6 guys just happen to also have rat-powered Camaros so I guess you can take your lack of manhood(as comparing it with other men(Did you sound light in your loafers or what)) back to whatever hole you came from. There is a V6 running 100-shot that I believe is spanking some V8's.
Taa-daah.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #53
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
For me, the issue is not about V6 vs. V8, it's about the engines internals. Would anyone building a V8 with the intention of running nitrous tell their engine builder to go ahead and use a cast crank and cast pistons? I wouldn't and if I had him build a V6, I'd make sure he applied the same theory behind the V6 nitrous motor as a V8 nitrous motor.

GM's 3.6 V6 is nothing short of incredible with respect the technology and performance behind it. It is technologicly more superior and and has better performance per litre than the L99 or LS3. My recommendation is to just put HD parts in it if you want to run nitrous. Will some people may be able to get 100 nitrous passes on it as the car continues to be a DD? Perhaps but I have a hard time believing it just as I would seeing someone in a V8 with cast internals do it. Again - not a V8 vs. V6 thing.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #54
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
For me, the issue is not about V6 vs. V8, it's about the engines internals. Would anyone building a V8 with the intention of running nitrous tell their engine builder to go ahead and use a cast crank and cast pistons? I wouldn't and if I had him build a V6, I'd make sure he applied the same theory behind the V6 nitrous motor as a V8 nitrous motor.

GM's 3.6 V6 is nothing short of incredible with respect the technology and performance behind it. It is technologicly more superior and and has better performance per litre than the L99 or LS3. My recommendation is to just put HD parts in it if you want to run nitrous. Will some people may be able to get 100 nitrous passes on it as the car continues to be a DD? Perhaps but I have a hard time believing it just as I would seeing someone in a V8 with cast internals do it. Again - not a V8 vs. V6 thing.
100 shot on this motor is not gonna harm anything. How do you figure its any different than running a turbo or SC other than the awesome cooling properties of nitrous and the fact that it is usually used only at drag strips. I am far more concerned with the transmission than the motor but all those in the know seem to be pretty confident there wont be an issue. Too many kids out there throwing bottles and lines in there DDs with wreckless abandon and blowing them up. Really gives N20 a bad rap.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #55
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
100 shot on this motor is not gonna harm anything. How do you figure its any different than running a turbo or SC other than the awesome cooling properties of nitrous and the fact that it is usually used only at drag strips. I am far more concerned with the transmission than the motor but all those in the know seem to be pretty confident there wont be an issue. Too many kids out there throwing bottles and lines in there DDs with wreckless abandon and blowing them up. Really gives N20 a bad rap.

What times are you getting at the track with the nitrous?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #56
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
well... not exactly true.. there are risks with any form of FI.. With N20 you are counting on the solenoids working properly... If your fuel solenoid sticks and doesn't open bad things can happen. I've also seen guys over-pressurize their bottles causing that 100 shot to be a lot more than that.. And of course there are the spectacular N20 backfires! WOOHOO! In my case I sprayed to early and cracked a piston... oops... There are certainly steps you can take to reduces these risks but the risk are still there...

One thing about N20 that you need to consider it is very additive and it is very easy to get caught up in wanting a bit more... start out with the 75 shot... and soon you are craving 100... then 125... and the thing with N20 it is very easy to do! Just switch the jets! I know, i fell victim to that also!