Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
cclayton000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Camara Z/28 wins at Road America!

I wish I was onsite, but watched the race on TV. Congratulations to Lawson Aschenbach for winning in the CKS Camaro. Lawson took the lead with around 20 minutes to go. Later, the road course was getting very slick and had a Subaru pass Lawson we 10 minutes to go. After a caution and a 1-lap dash, the Subaru had a clutch fail at the last corner. Lawson ate it up and pushed along to a win! Camaro quality beats rice-burner all wheel drive. ;-)

Lawson is a talented driver and I had a great conversation with him at Indy. I'm glad he got this win. Congratulations Lawson!
cclayton000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Don't they have to convert the carbon brakes to traditional iron rotors for competition?

Either way, a win is a win!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Don't they have to convert the carbon brakes to traditional iron rotors for competition?

Yes. It wouldn't even be a race if they let them use the stockers though I'm sure other cars are neutered in some way.

Just finished watching the race and glad to see CKS get the win. It really proves how dominant the Z/28R is and that it wasn't just the talented drivers and vast resources of the Stevenson team. It was a great seeing that Blue Z roll across the line in front.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

I'm glad to see them win again, but I when I question just how stock the cars were in this series the last time they won, I was told that they were stock other than the tires and safety equipment. I didn't believe that, but I couldn't argue it because I don't following road racing. I thought I did read however that theZ/28 breaks and tires both were not legal for any sanctioning body. I also read that they needed to detune the motors to be legal for this series

Does anyone involved with this series know the real facts? I've been sort of getting into watching these lately
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I'm glad to see them win again, but I when I question just how stock the cars were in this series the last time they won, I was told that they were stock other than the tires and safety equipment. I didn't believe that, but I couldn't argue it because I don't following road racing. I thought I did read however that theZ/28 breaks and tires both were not legal for any sanctioning body. I also read that they needed to detune the motors to be legal for this series

Does anyone involved with this series know the real facts? I've been sort of getting into watching these lately
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20%2314-58.pdf
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclayton000 View Post
I wish I was onsite, but watched the race on TV. Congratulations to Lawson Aschenbach for winning in the CKS Camaro. Lawson took the lead with around 20 minutes to go. Later, the road course was getting very slick and had a Subaru pass Lawson we 10 minutes to go. After a caution and a 1-lap dash, the Subaru had a clutch fail at the last corner. Lawson ate it up and pushed along to a win! Camaro quality beats rice-burner all wheel drive. ;-)

Lawson is a talented driver and I had a great conversation with him at Indy. I'm glad he got this win. Congratulations Lawson!
This was ran Saturday Aug 9. Fox delays the CTSCC race one week before airing. However some of them you can watch live on the IMSA site

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Your post didn't have the info I was looking for, but it helped to get me in the right direction.

Thanks. These cars are far from the street cars that can be purchased as I expected.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post

I was able to make it to Indy and Road America this year. I have a friend that works for the CKS team as a mechanic and the jack man for the #01 car. The cars are build by Pratt and Miller. They are stock with the exception of the brakes and suspension. They are not running the carbon brakes or the spool valve shocks, and there are adjustable sway bars too. The doors, hood, and roof are carbon fiber as well. They do run restrictor plates to keep the cars competitive.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
MBellRacing
Wheel Jockey For Hire

Drives: Stevenson Motorsport Sunoco Camaro
Send a message via AIM to MBellRacing
I know this is an old topic, but I'll chime in. First of all, Lawson CRUSHED it in this race, and now he's my codriver for 2015! The cars are pretty close to stock, save the usual racing bits like coilovers and sway bars. The suspension points are all stock for the Z/28. We do have lightened bodywork made of carbon fiber in some areas like the doors, since the standard road-going safety equipment is very heavy. The series does not allow non-ferrous brakes, so the carbon pieces had to go. Last year we ran 6-piston brakes to compensate.

In many ways, this car is the most stock of the class. With a driver and a full tank it actually weighs MORE than the street car, and is heavily restricted both in air flow and peak RPM compared to the street LS7. It's a blast to drive-- you never get tired of that 7.0L soundtrack!
Driver, #9 Stevenson Motorsports Sunoco Camaro
MBellRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBellRacing View Post
I know this is an old topic, but I'll chime in. First of all, Lawson CRUSHED it in this race, and now he's my codriver for 2015! The cars are pretty close to stock, save the usual racing bits like coilovers and sway bars. The suspension points are all stock for the Z/28. We do have lightened bodywork made of carbon fiber in some areas like the doors, since the standard road-going safety equipment is very heavy. The series does not allow non-ferrous brakes, so the carbon pieces had to go. Last year we ran 6-piston brakes to compensate.

In many ways, this car is the most stock of the class. With a driver and a full tank it actually weighs MORE than the street car, and is heavily restricted both in air flow and peak RPM compared to the street LS7. It's a blast to drive-- you never get tired of that 7.0L soundtrack!
You guys make the perfect team. 2015 should be a great year for Stevenson Motorsports.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You guys make the perfect team. 2015 should be a great year for Stevenson Motorsports.
Yup. When I saw the news about this I was ecstatic.

Holy crap, Matt Bell is a member here
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, imsa, race, win