Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Blacklung27

Drives: 2010 SS L99 VR / 03 SVT Lightning
removing chrome camaro from the sides

Hey guys I did a search and I haven't been able to find out how to debadge the camaro. I want to remove the chrome camaro lettering from the sides. Will there be any marks or holes?
Blacklung27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
There appear to be no holes from what I could recall if you look from inside the wheel well. Take a few minutes to take the plastic gaurd out - and a new camaro badge doesn't have pegs for holes so my gut is telling me no. But maybe someone who has pulled it already knows for sure.

Did you debadge the ss yet. Does the front or rear have pegs?????
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
All side badges are stick-on and come off easily with a little heat and dental floss. The front Chevy bowtie emblem comes off but leaves holes in the grill. The back comes off as well but there are two holes in the trunk for alignment guides.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Mr smith - what about the ss badges - I take those off next. Just wondering which one the floss will stop on.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
purplhaizcraz3

Drives: 2010 2LT CHEVY CAMARO BABY!!!!
will taking the badges off leave any glue that could damage the paint when trying to remove said glue?
purplhaizcraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

The rear SS badge is glued and comes off the same as the side badges. The front SS is clipped into the grill. You have to get one hand in behind it and get to the hanger to push the clips and the other hand in the front to pull the emblem out. No easy task if you have big hands like I do. I took mine out but ended up with it back in. I think it actually looks better that way.

There will be some glue and material left over after removal of your stick on badges. I used an environment friendly household cleaning solvent to get the glue loose and off the car. Then rinsed the area and waxed it. You need to make sure whatever you use for solvent doesnt damage painted surfaces.

Ive done this to all my new vehicles for about the last 20 years. I just love an uncluttered clean look.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Sherwood SS

Drives: Black SS/RS
it may leave some glue on after removing. go to wal-mart and get some goo gone and that will take care of anything left behind. its safe to use on paint, and works fast
Sherwood SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Blacklung27

Drives: 2010 SS L99 VR / 03 SVT Lightning
You guys are awesome thanks for the info.
Blacklung27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
gotta debadge
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
The rear SS badge is glued and comes off the same as the side badges. The front SS is clipped into the grill. You have to get one hand in behind it and get to the hanger to push the clips and the other hand in the front to pull the emblem out. No easy task if you have big hands like I do. I took mine out but ended up with it back in. I think it actually looks better that way.

There will be some glue and material left over after removal of your stick on badges. I used an environment friendly household cleaning solvent to get the glue loose and off the car. Then rinsed the area and waxed it. You need to make sure whatever you use for solvent doesnt damage painted surfaces.

Ive done this to all my new vehicles for about the last 20 years. I just love an uncluttered clean look.
thanks man - I am screwed -(big hands) I should have pulled the ss when I had the pumper off - I am blacking out my badges but I can agree it might look funny without the front SS badge.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
"environment friendly household cleaning solvent" Do you use Goo-Gone?
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

No..It was some kind of lemon crap spray stuff my wife gave me. Cant remember the name. Its the same kinda stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
"environment friendly household cleaning solvent" Do you use Goo-Gone?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Yeah..its not easy...but it can be done. Putting it back in was a bigger PITA cause if you drop the mount like I did a couple of times..you end up fishing it out of the bottom of the bumper through the bottom grill.

Anyhow..for reference..heres what mine looked like removed.

And heres what it looks like with it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-2SS View Post
thanks man - I am screwed -(big hands) I should have pulled the ss when I had the pumper off - I am blacking out my badges but I can agree it might look funny without the front SS badge.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
I only wish gm wouldnt of put 2 holes in the trunk for the bowtie...that is what I want to take off and uncluttered...as for the front badging, I actually think it looks better without the ss or rs badging in the corner...it should be in the middle or not there at all IMO...thats one reason when i ordered I didnt get either model, cause I didnt know how easy/hard it would be to remove (keep in mind it was oct 08 when i ordered and we didnt even have finished grill to look at yet)
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote