Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
First Time at the Dragstrip for Both Car and Driver

I finally got to take my DD to the dragstrip at Rocky Mountain Raceways. Although my 60' times suck I had a great time. Got about ten runs in when I decided the car had had enough abuse for one day. Here's the timeslip from my best run...

Name:  Timeslip.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  116.0 KB

Here are some thoughts and observations I have about my experience. Also some questions for the wise ones out there...

1) I seemed to be the only street class car that went around the water box. In fact the line guy kept giving me funny looks so I after about five runs I stopped going around. Just did a quick "cleansing" burnout in 2nd gear.

2) Through the evening I tried working on my clutch-slipping technique (or lack there of ). Seemed like I could get things rolling with minimal wheel spin but would quickly hookup and bog the engine too much. I was launching between 2500-3500 rpm.

3) Had a fair amount of wheel spin on 1-2 gear change. I was not speed shifting but was a bit aggressive, mostly due to the adrenalin factor I suspect. Is this expected at my power level and P-Zeros?

4) I had a hard time not hitting the rev limiter in second gear. This thing just keeps pulling hard all the way up to 7k (where Ted set it) it feels like it just wants to keep going. I know this is just information overload on my part, trying to remember all the new things.

5) Not sure how good my et/mph is. This track is at 4252 ft. It was mid 90's about 20% relative humidity. Other than my launch am I about where I should be with my mods and my lack of experience?

6) Among my race partners were three Mustangs. Best part of the night... I beat them every time except one that was blown and had drag radials. I didn't feel too bad about that! Ran against some Gen 4's and they were no problem either (Kinda felt bad about that part)

7) I think the only way I can really launch reasonably will be on drag radials. Would they put me in parts-breaking territory if I were to go down that path?

8) I may need an intervention... I'm hooked!

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Retro69

Bump

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
I took my SS to the strip about one month ago, first time for the car and first time ever for me.
How did you get such a low 60? My best was 2.6 and worst was 3.4
I've got a lot to learn about proper launching!
It felt like I had wooded wagon wheels back there!
I too, experienced a lot of spin when shifting into second.
Our trap speeds are very similar.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Just a quick answer...
Scroll down and ask this in the drag & technique section...
I dont have a manual but seems like your times are high with headers blower cam & tune¿?

However its your first time and All I can say is practice your launch. Start with leaving from ideal and ease into the gas, then go from there like try 500rpm,1000rpm,1500rpm ect.
And where you are shifting I think is too high bring it down and shift @ 6.5k or lower so you wont hit the limiter

Oh and yes with your m6 with DR things seem to break easier cuz of the extra grip/torque
Old 06-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Correction:
I skipped where you were racing @ and the elevation of the area...so you are I think made a good pass -hopefully someone else will go in detail and correct me even more
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I am not a drag racer but my car spins the rear wheels much easier at factory (36psi) pressure. Drop to 31-32 and it is a lot different.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I am not a drag racer but my car spins the rear wheels much easier at factory (36psi) pressure. Drop to 31-32 and it is a lot different.
Thanks.

I actually did this about half way through my runs. It seemed to help some but I would still bog down too much when they would finally hook up. I'm sure I need to slip the clutch out a bit further to help with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Not bad for a first timer! RMR's track prep is never very good, so without good tires it's pretty tough to get past about a 2.1 60' on street tires. I'd say you did pretty well! Are you going to the next one?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Gotta love that JRE rough idle cam, like you say the car pulls hard up to 7k rpms. RMR is tough to get a good 60' time. My best is 2.0 and I have DRs and a SC. Keep practicing and maybe get some good DRs and you will be low 11s in no time!
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Not bad for a first timer! RMR's track prep is never very good, so without good tires it's pretty tough to get past about a 2.1 60' on street tires. I'd say you did pretty well! Are you going to the next one?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Hey Tyler!

I'm definitely planning on going. Looks like the next Test n Tune is July 17th. Nice it won't conflict with WOW at Miller in July so I might be able to do both (Gotta try out the Pfadt Stage 2 gear I got from you )

I was wondering about the track prep. Without having any experience at what is good or bad my inclination was to think it was pretty poor. One thing I noticed was that although my burnouts were short and sweet I ended up with a ton of rubber in my right side wheel well with little or none in the left side. It made me wonder if the track wasn't "sloppier" on general the right side.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
Gotta love that JRE rough idle cam, like you say the car pulls hard up to 7k rpms. RMR is tough to get a good 60' time. My best is 2.0 and I have DRs and a SC. Keep practicing and maybe get some good DRs and you will be low 11s in no time!
Thanks!

I have been doing some research on my options for drag radials. Looking like I might need to do the C6 Z06 wheels in 18" to have some options for decent tires.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
Hey Tyler!

I'm definitely planning on going. Looks like the next Test n Tune is July 17th. Nice it won't conflict with WOW at Miller in July so I might be able to do both (Gotta try out the Pfadt Stage 2 gear I got from you )

I was wondering about the track prep. Without having any experience at what is good or bad my inclination was to think it was pretty poor. One thing I noticed was that although my burnouts were short and sweet I ended up with a ton of rubber in my right side wheel well with little or none in the left side. It made me wonder if the track wasn't "sloppier" on general the right side.
Nice! I will do my best to join you!

You will love WOW! Corners are a much funner fast!

But yes, RMR is very inconsistent. Especially from lane to lane. One key thing to do is look for the "grooves" or "ruts" if you will, in the lanes. If you can line up in them you should have somewhat consistent runs once you get it down.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I just did my first drag day with my car a few weeks ago. Elevation was about 2200' so there is quite a difference. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372333537.607014.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  123.9 KB

Ran the stock tires at 26-28 psi. They seemed to like 28 the best. I got wheel hop if I launched over 2500 so I backed it off to a quick stab of the gas and a steady roll until I was moving then hammered it.

I was fairly consistent until this pass. Car hooked fairly well and needless to say I was pretty happy for the first time out with the car.

Drop your air pressure and check it every pass. Quick burnout in front of the water box after driving around it and keep smiling. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I just did my first drag day with my car a few weeks ago. Elevation was about 2200' so there is quite a difference. Attachment 528082

Ran the stock tires at 26-28 psi. They seemed to like 28 the best. I got wheel hop if I launched over 2500 so I backed it off to a quick stab of the gas and a steady roll until I was moving then hammered it.

I was fairly consistent until this pass. Car hooked fairly well and needless to say I was pretty happy for the first time out with the car.

Drop your air pressure and check it every pass. Quick burnout in front of the water box after driving around it and keep smiling. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice 60' time!