Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #57
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
THIS!

The amount of jealousy in this thread is ridiculous. If the guy has money, knows that his kid is responsible, and is willing to make his son happy, why shouldn't he buy him an SS?

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special).
Maybe you missed the part in the OP's first post where he said, "Any feedback?"

Apparently to you, that should only mean supportive feedback.

And it's not jealousy. It's common sense, combined with a healthy suspicion of BS.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #58
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
I only skimmed through the topic, but I hope you are paying for this kid's college education if you are willing to drop nearly $40k on a car for him.

#priorities

Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #59
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Here's my take on the subject: Get it for him, but set him a budget. Anything over the budget he has to pay for; IMO give him a 25k out the door limit. He can easily get a new or used V6 with that money. If he wants to get an SS, find a used one in good condition. As an example, I got my 2012 2SS with 12k miles for 29k before taxes. Personally, I think that a 16 y/o can handle the power of ANY Camaro because of all the safety built into this car. This is NOT the old days, and these cars are much easier to drive. I would buy my child a Camaro any day over a 1990s beater Honda Civic. Safety should be your number one priority, and a Camaro is very safe, a beater on the other hand, is not.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #60
Chi-One

Drives: 2013 DUSK Special Edition
OK, my .02. Wasn't there a similar thread last month where the Dad wanted to know how to detune a ZL1 so he could give it to his son? Parents these days. I've been to many funerals and hospital rooms of teenage drivers and passengers who got in over their heads on the road. Oh yeah, I did a lot of stupid sh*t behind the wheel when I was a teen. So, I say no Camaro.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #61
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
I got my 2LT at 16 and I have modded it pretty drastically to make it unique. I have also driven many exotic cars because of my fathers job. I don't have the desire for a faster daily driver than my v6 camaro. I have proven myself able to handle a lot of power but realistically I believe the 2LT was the right choice.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #62
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
as others have said, only you know your son. the only thing I can add is that in a month the last of my three kids will grudate high school. in the 8 yr or so that I had one attending high school every year there were about 3-6 kids killed in car accidents that were primarily caused by mom and dad getting them that mustang or BMW that they just couldn't handle. IMO, no 16 yr old has the maturity, experience, nor skill to safely operate a high performance vehicle on a daily basis. inevitably, they get comfortable in it and begin to get careless. what they think they can do begins to exceed what they can do.

again, just my opinion, and only you know your son. but personally, I wouldn't put mine in one.
I agree 100% - father of (3) 20+ year old boys.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #63
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
THIS!

The amount of jealousy in this thread is ridiculous. If the guy has money, knows that his kid is responsible, and is willing to make his son happy, why shouldn't he buy him an SS?

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special). Btw, did you guys see that video of the Pedderized 1LE being driven by a high school kid, setting faster times than a ZL1? Take a look.

Op, if you know your son is more than capable of handling the car, obviously get him the SS.
ha ha what a joke this comment is....400 hp is nothing special for a 16 yr old...are you on crack..you think people starting out driving are able to handle this car....there is always exceptions but please man. New drivers should be worried about learning the rules of the road..i have an l99 and there is no way my 14 yr old will be driving that when shes 16..jealousy...no...use your head its just plain old common sense
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #64
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
ha ha what a joke this comment is....400 hp is nothing special for a 16 yr old...are you on crack..you think people starting out driving are able to handle this car....there is always exceptions but please man. New drivers should be worried about learning the rules of the road..i have an l99 and there is no way my 14 yr old will be driving that when shes 16..jealousy...no...use your head its just plain old common sense
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #65
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
Hello, my first post . My son is turning 16 this October and I really want to get him a new car. Him and myself always had an eye for a camaro. I am still debating wether to get him a camaro 2ss or a 2lt. Any feedback?
Sure , get him the SS , then in about 23 days flat , he will be making up a story about the ZL1
Just get him the ZL and get over it , at once .
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #66
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Are you asking for feedback on the goodness of a SS or LT as a car, or as a father are you seriously asking a message forum for feedback whether to get your son a Camaro. I would hope the later is not true. If you feel your son is responsible enough to respect a 400 hp car, there are many 16-18 yr olds in the enthusiast community who imo are more responsible than adults, break him in right with the good stuff.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #67
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
THIS!

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special). Btw, did you guys see that video of the Pedderized 1LE being driven by a high school kid, setting faster times than a ZL1? Take a look.

Op, if you know your son is more than capable of handling the car, obviously get him the SS.
Just to make sure, you know that a 1LE isn't even close to the same league as a zl1 right?
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #68
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
well said. I'm turning 26 in a few weeks and I still get easily egged on to hammer the car. I can't imagine how easily he's gonna be persuaded to show off. He's 16 for gods sakes, just get him a V6, he should be happy to get it [I would have felt like the luckiest kid in the world]. If he cries about you not getting him a V8 then you know you've done a great job raising him

also on a side note I think it's really stupid to buy your child something so expensive, especially when he didn't work for it. Not a good way to show your child the value of money and hard work.

...and one more thing, no I don't think people that make comments like I did are ''haters'' or ''jealous'' I think they have brains and just use common sense.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap

Last edited by SuperSport2011; 05-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #69
Krazyt2528

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS CRT
Paying for it

I actually made him pay for it. I told him since he was a little kid that he was getting a new car. I am retired military and made many tours to Iraq which separated us. I feel like this is a way to repay him because I want too! I'm not getting it to spoil him... I am getting him it because he deserves it. He has had a job for 3 years now mowing yards. Saving money for gas, insurance and any extras he wants. Even if I was buying the car for spoiling him I don't see the big deal. You guys who are making comments like he is not deserving it because he didnt work it are just jealous and I don't see how this mean anything.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #70
Krazyt2528

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS CRT

Closed Thread