Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
What's your deal breaker?

So I think it can be safely said that all of us are pretty excited about the new Camaro... but none of us have actually bought one yet.

Is there anything about the new Camaro, that if it were wrong, would turn you off to the whole deal? Is there anything that would break the deal entirely?

I'm sure we can agree that cost is a major deal breaker...

Personally, there aren't too many things that would kill my interest... except:

(1) If the Camaro is WAY to heavy (4200lbs+)
(2) If the Camaro is underpowered (350hp- for the hi-po V8)
(3) If I can't get the SS WITHOUT all the luxury features... (also plays into cost).

How about you?

~LSx
Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
1) If, during my test drive, I get beat by a Mustang

2) Price of course, other than that if anyhting maybe just delayed a bit.
A) Due to trade in value vs payoff, of my trade in
B) color options,
C) engine options.

Last edited by $¢'s 5th Gen; 11-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I want an equivilent to the mustang at the GT trim level, at the GT price.

If not its mustang for me, becuase the challenger is to much of a limited production vehicle.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
If I think the car is crap while I test drive it. That's about it. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I'm gonna have to go along with price. If by some freak of nature it turns out to be priced in the range of the challenger then I'd go mustang, but I seriously doubt it will be much more then the stang, it'd defeat the whole purpose of bringing the Camaro back.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
price for sure. I'll be fresh out of college, paying of college loans, making bottom edge salary for my field (a well paying field, but still the bottom edge of that) and my Cobalt will probably have pretty low trade-in value at that point, so cost is a big, big concern.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
lonestar_z28

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
So I think it can be safely said that all of us are pretty excited about the new Camaro... but none of us have actually bought one yet.

Is there anything about the new Camaro, that if it were wrong, would turn you off to the whole deal? Is there anything that would break the deal entirely?

I'm sure we can agree that cost is a major deal breaker...

Personally, there aren't too many things that would kill my interest... except:

(1) If the Camaro is WAY to heavy (4200lbs+)
(2) If the Camaro is underpowered (350hp- for the hi-po V8)
(3) If I can't get the SS WITHOUT all the luxury features... (also plays into cost).

How about you?

~LSx
I agree so far as the SS without the luxury features, and of course price, but I'm concerned about the Active Fuel Management. I had a miserable experience with the late unlamented Cadillac V-8-6-4 of 1981. Yes I realize that was 26 years ago, yes I understand the computers have come a long way, but I was burned very badly over that. I would greatly appreciate some re-assurance from the more knowledgeable members here on the real world reliability of AFM. It would make this old man feel so much better while dreaming of my SS convertible.

lonestar_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar_z28 View Post
I would greatly appreciate some re-assurance from the more knowledgeable members here on the real world reliability of AFM. It would make this old man feel so much better while dreaming of my SS convertible.
Reliability isn't a concern with the current AFM. They've had it in cars for a few years now, and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

And if it were to fail. The cyllinders wouldn't be permanently off, they'd be stuck on, so you'd be running a V8 like normal.

Dealbreaker?
...not really worried about price. We've been reassured enough times by Scott, to know better. I'll have to buy the appropriate model, of course, as aposed to the Super-maro...that I couldn't afford no matter how 'cheap' it was.

Not really worried about power...the LS and coming Gen V engines are too impressive for that to be a concern.

Not worried about styling

Nor comfort, the recent chevy interiors (i.e. Malibu) have assured me that GM knows what they're doing in that dept.

what else?...fuel economy? If I was worrried I wouldn't be buying a V8, but even so: again, the Gen V's and LS's are too impressive.

Nope, can't think of anything...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Price. That's the only factor. My only concern is that I won't be able to afford the Camaro that I want. I'm not worried about a single other thing.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Price. That's the only factor. My only concern is that I won't be able to afford the Camaro that I want. I'm not worried about a single other thing.
I 100% agree with Tag. Price would be the only deal breaker for me.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
A bad dealership experience, or repeatedly bad dealership experiences would be a deal breaker for me. I have had a few over the past couple of years with Ford, when looking at the Mustang, and BMW, when looking at a 3-series coupe. The arrogant BMW sales staff that I dealt with were so bad, I'll never set foot in any BMW dealership again, even though I like some of their cars.

I trust GM has learned its lesson, from the early '90s and that their dealerships are better. I have one picked out all ready for where I will buy my Camaro. My parents have gotten three cars from there and they've been treated well. I just hope this dealer is the same way in '09.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^Good example. I won't go trough my local GM (although Saab and Opel mostly) dealer to get my Camaro since it has turned out that ever time we've turned our Saab in for service they haven't done jack shit with it when a part that's normally would have been changed years ago went down last fall. So I'm driving 45 miles to buy my Camaro instead of half a mile due to shitty service.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I want a car 'comparable' to a mustang in price with 350 hp or more. For me it will be the base V8, no more and no less. I'm sure that the weight will stay under 4000, probably 3700. Styling? If they keep exterior mostly the same I will be happy. I would like to see a bit bigger spoiler on the rear but thats about the only exterior thing that I want to see different. I know the interior will be different, and I really don't care about the inside so long as it covers the basics I'm good
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I know the interior will be different, and I really don't care about the inside so long as it covers the basics I'm good
Nice to know I'm not the only one. The interior is secondary to the exterior to me. Long as it's functional, I'm content.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote