Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
CamaroBelarus

Drives: black 2SS
Wont start

Hello. Maybe anyone can help me or give some suggestions. Its a cold winter here, in Belarus. Its like -20C now outside. I have LT1 auto here. Had to drive and tried to use remote start on her, so the car started, but i pushed remote button again and it switched off. Then, when i tried to start the car again, it wont start. Starter is working, its ALMOST starting but not, whatever i use, key or remote button. And, when im inside the car and trying to start it, there is a strange electrical ticking sound from the left front side. Any help is welcome, what problem can it be.

Thanks a lot.

PS: Sorry for my not perfect English.
CamaroBelarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Sounds like your battery is too weak to crank over the engine. The click noise you hear is probably the starter solenoid clicking. There is only enough battery power to engage the solenoid, but not enough to crank the engine. Cold temps are a battery killer.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
bmclark

Drives: 2016 HBM 1LT Auto V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Sounds like your battery is too weak to crank over the engine. The click noise you hear is probably the starter solenoid clicking. There is only enough battery power to engage the solenoid, but not enough to crank the engine. Cold temps are a battery killer.
exactly what's going on.... could he get a battery with a higher rated cold cranking amp? any battery experts out there?

also with the remote start remember you can only start it twice before using the key.... I know you said it also won't start with the key but I just wanted to throw that out there...

New one: 2016 HBM 1LT Auto V6

Old one: 2013 IOM 1LT Auto w/ 19" Polished Aluminum wheels
2010 Black on Black 1LT Auto w/ Convenience & Connectivity package and Sunroof
1995 Silver V6 5 speed w/ T-Tops, Z28 wheels and Borla Exhaust
bmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
CamaroBelarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
But i hear the sound like engine is cranking...
PS: Remote start now is working and trying to start it as well, but cant. Its like it need just a little, sometimes its about to start:(
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I think its the battery especially with the clicking sound. Check and see if you left any electronics on or plugged into the car. My dad's impala had a bad wire in the onstar system and it drained the battery, don't know if this helps. I know in that car if the battery was dead and you tried to start the car with the key inside the key would get locked into the ignition and you wouldn't be able to pull it out. I don't know if this happens in the camaros too.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
try to charge up the battery or have you allready attempted this?or jump start it and if it starts you will know there is not enough juice.
buzzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
CamaroBelarus

Well, engine cranking is good, i thought , when battery is low of power, its cranking slowly with some pauses until it died. But thanks for advice, il try to charge it first of all. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
HeavyD

If it is cranking over and over and over but won't start, and then it dies that is a separate problem. Your engine is having a hard time starting. Again, with the cold, try some gas line antifreeze.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
HeavyD

As far as batteries go, larger CCA isn't always better. In deep cold you need a battery with a good "reserve capacity". That is basically the rating of how long you can crank your engine. CCA is basically how fast you can crank your engine. With fuel injection, engines start rather easily so big CCA aren't that important. If you have an engine that is hard or stubborn to start in the cold then higher CCA won't help. The higher the CCA's go, the lower the reserve capacity is. Batteries are all the same size externally. With higher CCA there are more positive and negative plates, but they are skinnier. They will develop high amp flow, but not for long. With lower CCA batteries they have fewer plates but they are thicker. They put out less amps, but for longer time.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
CamaroBelarus

Dont have a charging device for battery yet untill tomorow. Tryed to strat car again. Now all lights inside the car flashing, when engine trying to start, and 2 messages apepared, smth like "Open and close driver side window" and "Service stability control"....
Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
HeavyD

Oh yah, battery too dead. Don't do anything else until you can recharge it. The voltage to the system computers is getting too low for even them to operate correctly. You could start to do electronic damage from voltage that is too low.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
CamaroBelarus

So i charged battery and nothing changed. Still it trying to start and when engine is cranking, message like "Stabil track" is on the screen:(
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
CamaroBelarus

Looks like the fuel pump isnt working or switched off somehow cos no fuel going through the tube , if i switch it off and trying to start engine. Anyone maybe can tell me, how to check it properly and where is fuel pump in this car?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
or... your fuel line is froze. with -20C thats likely. The reason it started before is there was some residual fuel that was not frozen and now it cant get any... If that is it, it sucks but all you can do is wait for warmer weather...

If you keep cranking on it, you will kill the battery.

I am not 100% on this but if everything else is working, sounds like a fuel issue.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote