Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #15
SSavage

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I live in Cali too and had a Borla Atak and got rid of it when i did headers because it was too loud. My car is Orange and dont need any unwanted attention especially from cops as headers are illegal in CA. Everything is illegal in Cali!! Stainless works sounds awsome but its too loud with headers out here where we live. Trust me i loud but dont need any tickets!!

I agree. I have the Corsa catback with Long tube Kooks headers and Hi flo cats and i love how it sounds. It sounds good going through the gears. It can be quiet when u want it to but it screams at WOT!! Best of both worlds!

Like Chase said the Borla touring will be good also. If i had a chance to do it again i would choose the Corsa once again or maybe the Borla S-type (a little deeper)
I really appreciate the input especially from someone who gets where I'm coming from lol... It's a HUGE pain with the cops.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #16
infernometallicSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Best Run - 10.93@125
Have you looked into ZL1 exhaust. Hit up Gene at GMPartshouse. He can get you a price. I wanna say around 1600. Then you have options all the time.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSavage View Post
I really appreciate the input especially from someone who gets where I'm coming from lol... It's a HUGE pain with the cops.
I don't see the big deal with the car being louder. It has mufflers, so the catback is legal. It's just the headers that aren't, and I don't think a cop will pull you over looking for headers.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Billy Boat Classic! top quality, great looking and amazing deep muscle sound
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
SSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I don't see the big deal with the car being louder. It has mufflers, so the catback is legal. It's just the headers that aren't, and I don't think a cop will pull you over looking for headers.
It's just an excuse to get pulled over out here and no one wants to deal with that. When I had a full straight pipe setup with my headers I got pulled over without the cops even seeing me. They heard my car and ended up finding me and pulled me over for a speeding ticket. Lol I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm serious.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Headers with the Borla Touring cat back has a nice sound without being too loud.

Please post on the exhaust sticky.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
It's just an excuse to get pulled over out here and no one wants to deal with that. When I had a full straight pipe setup with my headers I got pulled over without the cops even seeing me. They heard my car and ended up finding me and pulled me over for a speeding ticket. Lol I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm serious.
I don't even know how that is possible...unless you were speeding when they pulled you over. Because I thought cops had to document the method in which they knew you were speeding. And last I checked, the only 2 methods they could check were radar or pace. They can't say they heard a loud exhaust from 3 blocks away, found you somewhere, assumed the loud exhaust came from you, further assumed that you were speeding when they heard the loud exhaust, and then decided to give you the ticket. I wouldn't have even taken that ticket if they handed it to me. But regardless, I do know that police can pull you over and do an on the spot inspection of your car if they want...at least around here they can. And noise violations can result in a ticket regardless of how legal your exhaust is. So just exercise caution with whatever exhaust you get.

Back to the topic, I don't think there is any exhaust that anyone has that they don't personally like. They all sound really good. It's just a matter of picking which one you particularly like as far as sound, performance, and price.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
SSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't even know how that is possible...unless you were speeding when they pulled you over. Because I thought cops had to document the method in which they knew you were speeding. And last I checked, the only 2 methods they could check were radar or pace. They can't say they heard a loud exhaust from 3 blocks away, found you somewhere, assumed the loud exhaust came from you, further assumed that you were speeding when they heard the loud exhaust, and then decided to give you the ticket. I wouldn't have even taken that ticket if they handed it to me. But regardless, I do know that police can pull you over and do an on the spot inspection of your car if they want...at least around here they can. And noise violations can result in a ticket regardless of how legal your exhaust is. So just exercise caution with whatever exhaust you get.

Back to the topic, I don't think there is any exhaust that anyone has that they don't personally like. They all sound really good. It's just a matter of picking which one you particularly like as far as sound, performance, and price.
I was told I was speeding even though I was certain there was no police around me. So I just assume they just based it of the noise level of my car. Then again I could be wrong but I was given no radar proof.

But on topic like you said after looking at countless videos most cars sound great. I guess I just have to find one that matches me and my taste best.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I was told I was speeding even though I was certain there was no police around me. So I just assume they just based it of the noise level of my car. Then again I could be wrong but I was given no radar proof.

But on topic like you said after looking at countless videos most cars sound great. I guess I just have to find one that matches me and my taste best.
Yea I'm surprised that ticket even stuck. How did he even know it was you? How did he even know it was a Camaro??

And yea, you've got the right idea. All anyone ever does is recommend the brand they bought. What's the best CAI? 10 members with 10 different brands will all say theirs is. But if they had a different brand, then that would be the best. And so on with headers and exhausts. So you can't really take anyone's word on which is the best. Youtube has lots of sound clips. Once you do pick a brand it may sound different when you hear it in person. And again, it will sound different as it breaks in. So keep that in mind. Because most clips are when the exhaust is brand new and just installed.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
I belive it!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
The 3" is a little loud, but it is not overly loud even with headers and I will be damned if it isn't the best sounding exhaust for this car.

I have heard Corsa with headers..it has an exotic car sound, still sounds good......but not even a close second to this.

But if you are worried about the "5.0", then maybe the Corsa is best for you.

And I am not just recommending the brand I bought, I am on my 3rd exhaust system, I started with Dynomax VT' (Awesome system, too quiet). Went to the Magnaflow-Hated it, sounded high pitched and droned horribly and now here I am with the SW Retro and loving every minute of it. Radio no longer required
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catback, exhaust, opinion, stainless works