Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
SwitchBlade

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro Silver Ice
Cool My first trip in my new FI Camaro...

Been real busy here lately, but finally got some time to post. Picked up my car last Wednesday evening at HPS. Loving the extra power from the turbo. I had been waiting to get it back to go visit my brother and other family members and some old friends from when I use to live in FL back in the 80's since I had not been down there in 4 years. So, spared almost no time and was down here on Saturday. (Getting up to speed on the on-ramps was fun ). Drove thru some of my old stomping grounds in my car, which was great, and saw some of my old friends. Went to the Bucs game with my brother on Sunday, which they won, Go BUCS! Anyway, was looking at the map, and notice that RX was just about an hour away from my brother's place, so decided to pay him a visit. All I can say is WOW. There was another guy, sorry can't remember his name, that had brought in his V6 Caddy for a catch can and a few other minor mods. Tracy was nice enough to give us a run-thru of his shop and all the testing and designing of all different kinds of performance parts. It didn't take too long before I started from information overload, like when I use to try to cram for tests. I really wished my boys had been out of school to come with me, because they would have loved it. Also, met some other Camaro 5 members while there, Smashing Pumpkin and Birm, both being SS owners. Anyway, I was so impressed with the operation, decided that since I was there, to get some minor work done on my car as well since I didnt have to have it for a couple of days. So, Tracy is installing my catch can, wrapping my hot pipes, putting a blanket on my turbo, and possibly route my wastegate into my exhaust. I will try to get some pictures of it to post. Also, since I know some of you are curious to see what my turbo does on a different dyno, going to see if I can get on Tracy's new Mustang dyno. Don't think it will show over 400 rwhp on it because Birm was testing out some new components on his car to see what HP they would make. He had it dyno'd last march/april on a dynojet and was putting down 460+ rwhp with the mods that he had. He had not changed anything and he was baselining at 410+ on the Mustang. Tracy said that there might be fine adjustments still needed on the dyno, but have been swamped with work and have not had time to devote to it, and I believe him, based off what I saw yesterday. Anyway, I will try to post more when I get a chance.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Swithchblade sounds like fun. I hopefully will be down soon to vist RX when i head to my sister in march maybe tracy will have that dyno ready for me to redyno.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Sounds like a great trip!! Glad you opted for the wrap and turbo sleeve for the front mount. I wrapped mine when i first got my headers since i knew i was going FI soon after! It would also better hold in the heat for better boost and save the turbo from damaging anything during those steamy summer days. My trip to RX has been canceled, we decided to transport the car down so Tracy can tune my car better and re-outfit the kit.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Awesome trip, I can only imagine how busy they are right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Matt @ RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

I don't see the smiley that says :lackofsleep:
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
SwitchBlade

Back home and at work now, so have a little time to give an update. Matt/Tracy, I am relaying this as I remembering hearing it and limited understanding be new to it all, so if I get it wrong, please feel free to correct me. Well, after talking with Matt some more, he convinced me to work on the wraps at a later date since I was limited on time, but they made sure anything sensitive to heat was protected and installed the turbo blanket. Catch can is installed and protecting . Were not able to route wastegate back into exhaust, so Tracy crafted a piece to redirect down and away from any car parts instead, and it sounds nice. After that, it was time to hit the dyno, which I then ran smack into the wall that many with the LLT engine have called fueling. After sending logs to Vince, at about 3400 rpm, the fuel system was maxed out and around 5000 rpm starting to running dangerously lean. I do have a Snow meth kit, but it is a Stage 1, so no progressive control release, so will have to look into upgrading the kit to Stage 2, which does have it. I guess I might be able to change the spring from a 7psi to a 3psi, but that seems almost sacrilegious. It was a shame somewhat, because if it had gone smooth, Tracy and Matt were confident it would easily gone over 400rwhp, even on the Mustang dyno. Only the first pull went over 5k and Matt said he had started letting up once he noticed it going lean. I will post pic of dyno later (plus some other pics) but it made 389 rwhp and 339 ft-lbs . Anyway, keeping it under 5k for now and next planned step is to get meth kit upgraded and redynoed. There is a performance shop about 15-20 minutes from me that should be able to handle both of those parts.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Wow still great numbers for fueling issues!!

Congrats!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

How did HPS not get the fueling issue?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
SwitchBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Sounds like a great trip!! Glad you opted for the wrap and turbo sleeve for the front mount. I wrapped mine when i first got my headers since i knew i was going FI soon after! It would also better hold in the heat for better boost and save the turbo from damaging anything during those steamy summer days. My trip to RX has been canceled, we decided to transport the car down so Tracy can tune my car better and re-outfit the kit.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Sorry, to hear you drive down got cancelled. I hope it was not something dire to prevent you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterv6 View Post
Swithchblade sounds like fun. I hopefully will be down soon to vist RX when i head to my sister in march maybe tracy will have that dyno ready for me to redyno.
It was fun overall. When you get the chance, you will enjoy the visit I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

Thanks. I saw your car as well. My old friend that picked me up and dropped me off later, saw your car and said he liked it. I said, "yeah that's Baylor's, supercharged V6, awesome isn't it." Since he is a Mustang lover, that he admit a Chevy looks nice is saying something.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Have you seen the HPS posts on this forum? They don't appear to get much of anything.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
SwitchBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
I am just a novice at all this, so keep that in mind with my response. I believe they did, otherwise, it would have made alot more rwhp on his dyno (when I asked Tracy/Matt afterward what they thought, based of their experience, it would be capable of making on a dynojet, they were thinking 420+, which is not bad from a single turbo auto). Chris was shooting for more timing, but I think the computer was pulling the timing because of the fueling issues. Chris was seeing a dip on his dyno starting at about the 5k mark. He added a meth kit to try to address that possiblity, however, it appears we should have gone one stage higher. However, he was had a few odd readings recently on his dyno as mentioned on other threads, so there was that possiblity as well. It was speculated that the dip might have been some dyno resonace (I think I am getting that right). So, the only way I knew for sure to check was put it on another dyno. So, that was another reason I decided to dyno it when I was at Tracy's shop. That is all I know and can tell you.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Oh ok for being a novice you are smart lol. I didn't know that much

Thank you sir
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
SwitchBlade

LOL, I am not sure about being smart, don't think I can go into detail about what I just said. However, I did pick up some after spending parts of 2 days in Tracy's shop and asking questions. If he could get his worked out with his insurance, he should create some type of week performance shop camp.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post

With the methanol kit added(450-500hp jet) we were seing around 12.0afr @ 6000rpm. At that point I called tracy and he had told me that was fine for these engines. Keep in mind also the weather is alot cooler as well which will make more power and also run the afr leaner.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote