Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Tomorrow might finally be my day...

I've posted a few threads before about upgrading to an SS, but the deals never lined up like I wanted them to, or the SS I was looking at would have been "settling", or whatever you'd like to call it. Well, yesterday I found one online that seems to be 100% perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. It's a 2010 1SS/RS in Victory Red, manual, with only 5,000 miles on it. It's in mint condition, too. It's located on a small lot in town, and I contacted my friend who works at a big local lot, and they worked out a deal to buy it from the small lot and resell it to me so I can finance it through them and all that. I've already been approved for the deal at the dealer, and my wife has given in [sort of] and said that she was okay with me getting it...

I can show up at the dealership in the morning and have the SS in my hands by the afternoon. Everything about this car is just right. I want it so bad. But I'm a little nervous about going upside down from my other Camaro, and the payment will be a little on the larger side. I can afford it, but it will make things a little tighter for us, for sure. But I feel like this is a car that I shouldn't pass up. It is exactly what I wanted. If I wait until I'm not upside down in my current Camaro, I don't think I'll be able to find one this nice. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

I'm still just slightly on the fence about it. But I'm pretty sure it will be mine tomorrow...
Attached Images

AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
paul44

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Do it! The SS is worth it...congrats in advance
Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Good luck with your decision. Don't short change the rest of your life for a car though IMHO.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I found that there is lots of low low mileage 10s out there. I almost got one that was better then new with 2000 miles on it right befor I got my new one. dealer sold it to a cash buyer while I was waiting for financing. but im upside down on mine big time. Traded a 12 Silverado 6.2l 4x4 ext cab in for it
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
As someone who was "upside down" on car payments for most of the 90s, all I can advise is DON'T DO IT, especially if your budget is tight. I bought 3 vehicles in a 8 or 9 year span and got more upside down on each one. I finally saved enough cash over several years to where I could finance a new vehicle and get "rightside up" on a new '02 Dodge Ram. Since then I have saved like a maniac and managed to pay CASH for my last 3 vehicles - all brand new.

You said "I can afford it, but it will make things a little tighter for us, for sure". So there are others (loved ones, I assume) you should be concerned about which makes it an even less intelligent thing to do.

Save your money. Pay off that current loan more quickly by adding something to the principal each month (no matter how little). It may take a few years but you'll be glad you did - and there will be plenty of beautiful like-new Camaros out there when you can truly afford one.

Good luck!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Something I learned a long time ago, if you find something you want just buy it. More times than not later on you're kicking yourself for not buying it and or pissed because you cannot find exactly what you want since you waited.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
You'll probably find out that you're not as upside down as you think unless you rolled in negative equity from your previous vehicle or your current car has a ton of miles on it. Go for it.... you won't ever know unless you try.... and if its too much then say no.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
You only live once!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
AdamEL: Lots of red flags here. Where did this car come from ? Small dealers
usually get their cars from auctions- Do a CarFax report
Also sounds like your going under on your current Camaro. There's lots of
used Camaros out there- You may be getting in over your head dollar wise imo.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
436SS

Drives: 2010 1SS
You said "I can afford it, but it will make things a little tighter for us, for sure". So there are others (loved ones, I assume) you should be concerned about which makes it an even less intelligent thing to do.

Save your money. Pay off that current loan more quickly by adding something to the principal each month (no matter how little). It may take a few years but you'll be glad you did - and there will be plenty of beautiful like-new Camaros out there when you can truly afford one.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

^^^^^^This
No need in being car poor. If you are on the fence, then its probably not a good idea. Think of it this way; when you are truly ready, there will be something out there much better anyway. Dont complicate/stress your financial situation.
436SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man... So many correct responses here. Now I'm super torn. I have to make up my mind by lunch time. We'll see.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Why would you want to start all over with more payments?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
Are you putting any $$ down on the deal? Maybe hit up some family members or pull a little out of your 401k so you're not upside down. Just a thought.
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Mmar88

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP/NAV
ok i was in a similar situation when i bought mine...not with being upside down on my trade but on the tighter living thing. i was paying 350/month for my '09 G8 GT and traded it in ($5000) downpayment on my camaro 1LE and it almost doubled my car payments. i can afford the $650/month i pay now but it was definitely an adjustment. you have to ask yourself if its worth giving up the things you would use that money for. for me it was and for you it may not be. its all about priorities. best of luck with your decision! and think about it this way...if you dont buy it, you still have a nice camaro!!
Mmar88 is offline   Reply With Quote