Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #491
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
I have to side with you all, the SRA is better for drag racing, but that is not to say one cannot beef up an IRS and make it drag competitive.

Just the same goes to, one can build up a SRA and make it road course worthy.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #492
GR8PUMKN
UNION MADE

Drives: 2011 inferno orange SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
No, it's because it's better for drag racing....... Some of yall need to get to the track and educate yourself once in awhile.
The track gives lessons? Face palm my balls kenny! You hillbilly! You should do some research like,read a book or something.typically there is about a 150lb weight difference between the two
GR8PUMKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #493
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Hey Kenny...FYI...I do have a bit of track time under my belt...just sayin.

That said, the very first mod that I did to my 99 Cobra and my 04 Cobra was to swap the IRS for a live axle - due to weight and breakage issues (breakage = dollars)....not because the IRS couldn't hook as well (or better).
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #494
KennyC
Banned

Drives: 2006 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8PUMKN View Post
The track gives lessons? Face palm my balls kenny! You hillbilly! You should do some research like,read a book or something.typically there is about a 150lb weight difference between the two
The weight is completely irrelevant, COPO's or any other "class specific" cars have a minimum weight to compete anyways. Any serious race car is packed with ballast to get the weight up to where it needs to be. I guess OL 10.5 and ODR cars will all be switching over to an IRS setup soon. Thanks for the enlightenment. And Bob, I never said YOU didn't go to the track, but people SRA their cobras for a reason, and it wasn't to save weight. As you are fully aware.
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #495
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
There is a simple fact of mechanics involved in the COPO decision to run a solid rear end vs. an IRS. A solid rear is cheaper, stronger and is more easily repaired on a shorter notice when there is a breakage (not if).

The benchmark for drag rear ends, the Ford 9", especially those with 31+ spline axles and well built third members can easily withstand 2000+ HP on very sticky tires for roughly 3,500 bucks. An IRS, to be built to withstand that power, would be considerably heavier and much more expensive.

The COPO Camaro drag car uses a Strange Engineering S-9 rear end, which is based on the Ford 9" unit. GM knew an IRS could not be realistically built that was still affordable to put in the COPO.

Simply put, any IRS is inferior in performance, durability and price to a solid rear end for drag racing. This isnt a Ford vs. Chevy, Mustang Vs. Camaro thing, its just reality that isnt bound to brand loyalty.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #496
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheFuture View Post

He said most of the reports were from overly sensitive owners, and that has been proven to be the case. Not he did not say all. It's called reading comprehension. Learn it. You should be able to since you have mastered the tricky craft of driving a manual transmission.

It is funny how this thread has evolved since the bugle was blown for the strictly camaro fanboys to come rushing in.
First off, I knew what the man meant when he said what he said. I responded in kind. If you don't have anything positive to add to this thread I'd suggest you and your pissy attitude see their way to the door. No body rattled your cage but I'm sure the mods won't mind doing so if you continue to call people out.

And as for the Camaro fanboys comment, you are on CAMARO 5. Not mustang 5. I think your advanced reading skills should let you understand what I mean when I say that.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #497
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
I'm just bummed that Coyotekiller lives on the east coast. I have a coyote that would love to play.
Do you even know what we are talking about?

Btw my name came from the fact that my own 5.0 coyote effectively died so I got rid of it.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #498
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
how is it illogical? No one stated the MT82 was fault free... what I did say was most of the issues were fabricated in the owners head.

The MT82 whining is normal the transmission is noisey. For coyote to say he was fearful of his life because of a noisey transmission is hilarious.
I never said any such thing. But like most sane people, I'm not gonna put up with my $30k sports car making obnoxiously loud whining noises. I know what a normal Getrag sounds like, ive driven them in various other vehicles, including a GM pickup with a 4.8 and a Toyota supra twin turbo. I know exactly what a whining getrag sounds like. And I know when a trans is whining because it's going bad. My trans sounded like a supercharger whining under my dash. There was obviously something wrong with my trans. I honestly don't understand why you don't get that. Guess you just enjoy being that obnoxious moron that no one likes talking to. But whatever the reason you won't admit it, I don't care.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #499
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Do you even know what we are talking about?

Btw my name came from the fact that my own 5.0 coyote effectively died so I got rid of it.
your car did not die, would you want me to link the thread of your original issues from multiple forums? You didn't like the noise it was making, wanted it fixed, nothing was found to be wrong with it.

Since you were still upset with the noise, you traded it in. It's America, you can choose to do whatever you want, but no need to lie about what happened when you've posted the true story on multiple places but come on here trying to save face.

Instead, you're sitting here hurling insults at people, then as soon as they reply to you, immediately run behind the "stop attacking me" card, or the "this is a Camaro site, so please do not correct me on Mustangs, even though I will say whatever inaccurate informaiton I want, since I own a Camaro"

Wow, a 13.3 @ 113... even my wife who has never taken a car down the track before got hers to go 12.5 bone stock in her 3.31/MT82 Premium car. It's the car's fault, not yours.

You don't say, so you went to the drag strip, you think you broke your trans, but figured since you ran crappy times you wanted Ford to foot your hot rodding bill. You also bought your car used but, have no idea what the previous owner did to your car, but it's still Ford's fault because "their car sucks". Especially because they denied your modded car that had powertrain mods, a warranty claim.

but wait a minute, Ford did work on your transmission, and when you accepted it back, it did feel acceptable to you, until "YOU" started to drive it again. The engine noises, are what Ford would not warranty since you probably did the intake manifold install incorrectly.

So instead of trying to locate your own self imposed issues, you immediately looked for an automatic GT Mustang to trade in, but since it was in February they were doing the model year changeover so inventory was at a low for new, this of course is immediately Ford's fault that you couldn't find an automatic GT Mustang to your liking during that time frame, so you figured may as well trade it in.

It's your money, you do what you want, but coming on here acting like a badass and that your car broke, and the transmission is junk was a flat out lie. In fact, I don't think anyone should take anything you say about the MT82 with any credit whatsoever.

Feel free and see how childish his responses were over there as well, when people started to correct his incorrect info
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74203

I especially like how you tell everyone, it was none of our damn business, yet you shared the story with the entire forum looking for feedback. Did not like the responses so you took your ball and ran home.

Last edited by Seer; 05-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #500
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Yep that's me. I'm also on WOTmustangs and HPJ as well. Oh and RWHP. My responses were made to people like you that didn't want to believe that ford would put a shitty part in their favorite car. They wanted to hear none of it. And as for the install that was professionally done and I went over it myself twice before I left the installer. And did so again when I heard the noise later at the dealership. The aftermarket parts didn't cause my trans to fail. Nor did my driving considering how often I have taken all my other cars to the track, including my '07 GT. Only thing ever went wrong with that car was the rear end lost a bearing. And that wasn't even because of the track runs I made. That was a friend of mine driving it a bit too hard without my knowledge. No such friends drove my '11. And my driving at the track didn't break anything. Maybe made some previous problems more prevalent, considering how the trans had already been opened prior to my owning it, yet ford showed no service record for my vehicle requiring trans work. You can think what you want, that trans was bad before I ever messed with it. I'm still curious about what that engine noise was though...

Quote:
your car did not die, would you want me to link the thread of your original issues from multiple forums? You didn't like the noise it was making, wanted it fixed, nothing was found to be wrong with it.

Since you were still upset with the noise, you traded it in. It's America, you can choose to do whatever you want, but no need to lie about what happened when you've posted the true story on multiple places but come on here trying to save face.

Instead, you're sitting here hurling insults at people, then as soon as they reply to you, immediately run behind the "stop attacking me" card, or the "this is a Camaro site, so please do not correct me on Mustangs, even though I will say whatever inaccurate informaiton I want, since I own a Camaro"

Wow, a 13.3 @ 113... even my wife who has never taken a car down the track before got hers to go 12.5 bone stock in her 3.31/MT82 Premium car. It's the car's fault, not yours.

You don't say, so you went to the drag strip, you think you broke your trans, but figured since you ran crappy times you wanted Ford to foot your hot rodding bill. You also bought your car used but, have no idea what the previous owner did to your car, but it's still Ford's fault because "their car sucks". Especially because they denied your modded car that had powertrain mods, a warranty claim.

but wait a minute, Ford did work on your transmission, and when you accepted it back, it did feel acceptable to you, until "YOU" started to drive it again. The engine noises, are what Ford would not warranty since you probably did the intake manifold install incorrectly.

So instead of trying to locate your own self imposed issues, you immediately looked for an automatic GT Mustang to trade in, but since it was in February they were doing the model year changeover so inventory was at a low for new, this of course is immediately Ford's fault that you couldn't find an automatic GT Mustang to your liking during that time frame, so you figured may as well trade it in.

It's your money, you do what you want, but coming on here acting like a badass and that your car broke, and the transmission is junk was a flat out lie. In fact, I don't think anyone should take anything you say about the MT82 with any credit whatsoever.

Feel free and see how childish his responses were over there as well, when people started to correct his incorrect info
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74203

I especially like how you tell everyone, it was none of our damn business, yet you shared the story with the entire forum looking for feedback. Did not like the responses so you took your ball and ran home.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #501
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Oh and btw, they replaced numerous bearing inside the trans. So yeah there was something wrong with it. Problem is, they didn't fix the actual gears that were whining and the problem was still there when I went to pick the car up. It was just quieted down by the new fluid and parts. Gave it about 150 miles and the whining was right back there again. They shoulda replaced the trans but didn't. They wanted to band-aid it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #502
Seer

Your trans did not fail man. The mt82 makes noise, that's how it is. It's a tight ratio performance oriented transmission.

You can get rid of a car for any reason you like but don't lie about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #503
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
Without a doubt, the biggest slam dunk, in your face forum response I've ever seen. Anywhere.
THIS^^^

Been listening to this dude forever talkin smack about the tranny's in the Mustang. Funny as hell to read all that stuff...

When Coyotekiller posts, i...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #504
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Your trans did not fail man. The mt82 makes noise, that's how it is. It's a tight ratio performance oriented transmission.

You can get rid of a car for any reason you like but don't lie about it.
So the MT-82 sounds like a loud supercharger? I don't think so. The trans was getting ready to go. Whoever has it now is probably still having issues with it. I got rid of the car because of the trans issue and the engine noise. I'm not lying about anything.