Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
sasha055

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Cab
Proud owner of a "new" 2011 Camaro SS!

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, new to Camaro, new to muscle cars and new to American cars

I wanted to say Hi, share my feelings about the car and ask some questions,

As of last week I'm proud owner of new to me 2011 Camaro 2ss A99 cab
It's my first muscle car, and I'm coming from Porsche Boxster, so naturally I was worried about car being on the heavier side and all reviews that bitched about handling..

After driving it for a couple of days... Camaro is AMAZING!
It handles like a dream! and the power is intoxicating!
I love the V8, I love the feeling of "I'm driving a powerful car" and looks are a killer!

There is one thing that bug me though. I'm getting 12-14 MPG on an Auto mode (Not S) and this is me driving like a granny (I'm still getting used to the car). I'm driving 60% city/40% highway

I didn't buy the V8 for mileage, however this low mileage means something is not right and that's what bugs me.

I don't have any history on the car, however I saw that it has strut bar and sway bar installed.

So, here's the question: How can I check what other mods previous owner did? My only explanation to such low MPG would be chip.. however I have no idea how to check it.

Any other thing I should look for? Any advice?

Thanks
Sasha
Attached Images

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Nice car, congrats and welcome! Looks like you have a 1ss by the white SS and your headlights. My L99 averages about 15 mpg city/hwy but i think convertibles are also slightly heavier than a coup. You can get a service history from your chevy dealer by VIN.
Theres also a forum for convertiibles(verts) that might help for specific questions you may have. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
woohoo, welcome to the c5 family.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
My45thAnniversaryCamaro

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Don't expect to get high mpg like some people get in this forum, I have a v6 and get 15 mpg haha but all of my driving is pretty much in the city and I have a very low average speed, just keep your standards low when it comes to mpg and you'll feel better
My45thAnniversaryCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the white SS only means its not a RS. the only way to tell if its a 1 or 2SS is the interior. Leather 2SS cloth 1ss. you should see better than that. Are you useing 91 or higher octane if not run a couple tanks of 91 or better 93 then pull number 5 and 20 fuses in the engine compartment to reset the computer. you should be seeing 20s if your driving it like regular car.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
sasha055

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Cab
Thanks for advice!
I find myself wishing it wouldn't be holidays so I could drive the car more
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
A.VEE.BEE
So Cold!

Drives: Summit White 2015 2SS
Congrats!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Congratulations! Your Camaro looks great.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Welcome to the club!!!

Definitely do the "fuse pull" treatment. Here is a link to the page on camaro5 that describes the process and why you should do it. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

A "chip" likely is not the culprit. Most owners don't add a chip to these cars. Their ECU is "Tuned" by a programmer, which can be either a handheld unit like the SCT X3, or a laptop running tuning software. Also, most of these tunes will make the car GAIN mpg. Definitely something to look into, I've heard a good tune makes the Automatic Camaros really rip!!!!

Not sure what average MPG for an auto is, but I used to average around 17/18 MPG with a similar mix of driving to yours, prior to modifying my car. Mileage can definitely vary, and my MPG's actually improved after I had put about 5k+ miles on the car. (I bought mine brand new, so it may have needed some break in time.)

Also, if you somehow could snap a photo of the engine bay, someone on here is bound to know which strut tower brace you have, same goes for the sway bars. Most of us drool over parts for so long before buying them, that we can spot them on cars at a glance LOL

Again, Welcome to Camaro5, enjoy that beautiful car, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 12-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Congrats on the Vert ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Great looking car. Congrats!
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Make sure you reset your gas mileage indicator. Scroll to the screen and hold in the button on the end of the stalk. Sounds obvious but not everyone does this.

Try it while on the highway and see your mileage rise. Then as you ride around town it will drop but you should do much better than 12-14. I can get close to 18 if I really granny my LS3 (but why!).

Congrats.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Congrats and welcome to the Camaro family! That is a beautiful car! Love the color! I've never checked my MPG, but the info center shows my average is 16.5mpg.
That's normal driving (within) the speed limit and 655hp at the rear wheels.
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!

Last edited by Bowtie-Bri; 12-24-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote