Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the better overall vehicle?
BMW 325I 7 18.42%
Infinity G35 8 21.05%
Mercedes Kompressor (230 series??) 2 5.26%
Lexus IS 3 7.89%
Acura TL 1 2.63%
Other - Please specify in details. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
TAG and Mrs.TAG have a question the car nuts might be able to answer

My in laws (Mrs.TAG's parents) are looking to trade in their Acura TL which is a few years old. Apparently, there are a few rattles and minor issues that repeatedly arise. They are looking to get into a new car and were interested in the following comparable models. They mentioned back seat space was a factor (car seats for the kids), but not much else.

If anyone has any experience w/ the following vehicles, or knows something specific on why one would out perform, out class, and all else over another, please let me know. I'd like to go back to them and be able to give them some advice (or heads up) about the vehicles they are interested in.

And...For those responding, please don't let exterior styling play too much of a role in the opinion of vehicle. I'd like to focus on overall build quality, amenities (bluetooth which they want), performance (mpg's), and interior space. Again, if anyone has experience w/ any of the cars, please add your two cents!

Thanks!

Veh's being considered:

1. BMW 3 series
2. Infiniti G35
3. Mercedes (C300 series? Really don't recall...but it was a 4 door like the others)
4. Lexus IS series
5. Acura TL

**If there are any other models you think they should consider which are comparable to these, please let me know. I appreciate everyones help on this in advance!!! Thank you!!!

***Poll has been added for your top pick. I can't edit the poll, so BMW is the 3 series and Merc is the C300 class.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
personally I like the BMW 325i.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

EDIT!!!

That's for the BMW 3 series...not the 325i. I recalled incorrect info and fixed some other stuff.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Specifying.

My "Other" choice would be to get the 2009 Cadillac CTS. My experience is paper-based only. It is superior to all of your choices in almost every way.

First off, the 2008 Cadillac is the winner of numerous awards and accolades; one of which being the Motor Trend Car of The Year.

Nobody who has driven this vehicle has come back with any regrets so far as I have read. And usually, if there's something that is even 'iffy' about a vehicle; online reviewers, and magazines would pick it up instantly.

On to tangible comparisons.
The CTS costs about the same (we're talking hundreds of dollars) as the BMW and the Infiniti, and is thousands of dollars less expensive than the Mercedes, Lexus, and Acura.

It has more headroom than the Lexus, and Mercedes; more front head AND legroom than the BMW, and Acura.
The CTS also has considerably more cargo room than ALL the other listed vehicles.

The BMW gets 2 more mpg than the CTS, and the Acura gets 1mpg better fuel economy. However, both of these vehicles (in fact, all of the listed vehicles) require premium 91 fuel. The CTS doesn't even recommend premium fuel. You can run it on regular-grade 87 Octane. The other three vehicles fall short of the 17/26mpg rating that the CTS delivers, while still requiring premium.

The 2009 CTS will be offered with Bluetooth connectivity, a 40GB media harddrive, and pop-up navigation system. So the interior can keep a nice, clean look when you're not using it.

In regards to craftsmanship, this is what GM has to say about it:
Quote:
Every CTS features Cadillac’s “cut-and-sew” interior process that combines advanced technology with the hand-rendered precision of expert craftsmen. Coverings for components such as the instrument panel, center console and door trim are cut, sewn and wrapped by hand. This enables details such as decorative French stitching and the near elimination of gaps and seams, for a superbly tailored appearance.

Quietness is another measure of CTS’ craftsmanship. Detailed analysis of sound and vibration was lavished on the CTS during its development. This reduced overall cabin noise via improved body sealing and sound insulation.
It also focused on tuning the quality of the remaining sound. A perforated pattern, for example, has been added to the inside of the tailpipes to increase resonance, adding more pleasing, low-frequency sounds to counteract high-frequency noise.

On the exterior, quieting elements and manufacturing techniques include an innovative laser brazing process that affixes the roof panel more crisply; installing the windshield glass without visible rubber seals and joints; and triple-sealed doors.
But primarily, and possibly most important...The Cadillac comes standard for a year with OnStar; which includes automatic crash response, remote door unlock (in case you lock your keys inside, roadside assistance, and emergency services (contacting the police if you get into an accident and don't respond).

If nothing else, the new CTS is definitely worth a trip to the dealership to check it out. Don't let the fact that it's not a Lexus, or a BMW stop you from considering it, because as shown above; it is better than the others in many, many ways.

Thanks for asking TAG, and Mrs. TAG.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

^Hey...no problem! In fact, the CTS came to mind right off the bat too. My dad owns a CTS and wanted a Saab, but at first drive, took the CTS. Maybe I can sway them this direction as well...I loooove the CTS. GOOD CALL and THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
CTS-V!!! LSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
i'd go for the BMW but i've kinda lived around one for a while

or i would go with a Subaru STI
Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
Well my brother has a last generation G35 and its fantastic! Fast, comfortable, and spacious. The new one is faster, supposedly more comfortable, and bigger. Its also a lot cheaper than a 335i with about the same power. Its the best looking of all the options up there. Oh correct me if Im wrong, but didn't the new G35 beat the 335i in comparison tests in numerous magazines?
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
My father ran a lexus dealership for a while and in my opinion, they make the best import on the road. I've heard nothing but compalints about the newer BMW's (elctrical). But if you want a lexus that compares with the other cars, don't get an IS, get the ES 330. Great car, good price, uncomparable ride.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I'll vote other...get them into a Caddy!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
My father ran a lexus dealership for a while and in my opinion, they make the best import on the road. I've heard nothing but compalints about the newer BMW's (elctrical). But if you want a lexus that compares with the other cars, don't get an IS, get the ES 330. Great car, good price, uncomparable ride.
you mean ES 350. they stopped making the 3.3L V6. BTW my Lexus in an RX350. Thats why I know that.
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I voted for the G35. I personally hate the styling, but since that isn't a factor this car wins. I've been following the Edmunds.com long term test on the vehicle, and they loved it. Its a great value. The only problem they had was a bad manual shifter, but they loved the automatic. In all the categories you mentioned they seemed more than satisfied.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Caddy or the new Malibu!!!

Got to stay with GM...Its in my blood!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
brooks

Drives: sivlverado 1500
lotus exige