Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I am going to give the SRT8 an edge over the SS in all categories for 11. In the only test I know of between the 2, there was only a 2/10ths difference in the 1/4 mile and handling was basically a wash. The SRT is gaining 50 HP which using the 10 hp=1/10th rule that gives the SRT a 3/10ths advantage over the LS3 and the suspension upgrades should make it even across the board or slighly better than the SS, of course for 2012......
I don't know what the record is for SRT8, stock, but that doesn't sound unreasonable. I don't know that I can argue against much of your points at this point, but I believe we're going to see more than power improvements for SS in '12, at which time I believe SS will take back the improvements you guys will be enjoying for '11. Handling-wise is where I'm stuck most, because I just don't get the feeling Chrysler is as serious about handling in this car as GM is, and has been. However, from reports we're getting, they're going through much of the chassis, so that could be changing (or my general past opinions are just wrong ).

Either way - I'm pleased that the Chally is not just laying over. These improvements will just push us and Ford to go further to give us better cars. While I'm a diehard, I appreciate all three cars, and give credit where it's due

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Not to mention the things the SRT comes with that aren't even available on the 2SS ie pushbutton start, touchscreen stereo with hard drive, etc
I don't care for the pushbotton, but touchscreen would be SWEET!!! I'd rather put the money toward performance, though, if that's how it's gotta' be. Still - those are good selling points to attract buyer who aren't solely about performance, and if the other guys are offering it, I believe we should be looking into it, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
But, in the gt500 you get all of those things (except for push button start ,but who cares) plus a lot more performance that makes it a much better value even for the extra cost over the SRT-8. I thought I would bring that up since your comparing the SRT-8 to the SS camaro. Which are in different classes.
I agree with this, but if that's the top-of-the-line from us, it is what it is. I'm glad that's not looking to be the case very soon. I'm just going to be glad the three of our companies will be putting up such great cars

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #58
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
All good points and yes I believe the Camaro will get some nice upgrades for 12, hopefully some gen V power, a little more tuning in the suspension, and I believe the interior materials and design with be upgraded too and additional features will become avail (of course raising the price). And I agree about them being in different classes too. The Challenger is definatly the one I'd want to take cross country as i see it of more of the GT car , the Mustang would be my choice for a track day, and the Camaro for cruising the blvd.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #59
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
For those who say that the new SRT "wont even out perform the current SS"..you're wrong.

The SRT needed just under 450 HP to break even with the LS3 SS. With 20-25 rated HP over that, it'll be in the lead.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:26 AM   #60
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Probably driver differences. Camaro should currently have the advantage. Even if the 392 is a hair faster it's still 10k+ more.
trust me, it wont be a "hair" faster.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #61
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogZ28 View Post
I haven't seen a single road test in any of the major magazines that have the SRT-8 beating the SS.
i forgot magazines were unbias.
look at timeslips. they are both very close and it's a drivers race. either way im not arguing in this thread about SS vs srt8.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #62
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Doesn't the current SRT8 have 245 rear tires? Hopefully they change that with the new 6.4L motor.

I can't wait to see what the 6.4L does throughout the line, here is to hoping the next grand cherokee srt8 can actually tow something as well as perform. I am not really a huge chrysler fan but GM is definitely leaving a gap in the mid-size suv rwd segment, in a few years it might just be a jeep or nothing.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #63
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
For those who say that the new SRT "wont even out perform the current SS"..you're wrong.

The SRT needed just under 450 HP to break even with the LS3 SS. With 20-25 rated HP over that, it'll be in the lead.
The 392 Challenger will be the one to own.... the most similar spec is the CLS55 (469Hp, 4100lbs, 5 speed Auto) which runs 12.6@115 in the hands of a non-noob driver. This thing will be a beast from a roll .
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #64
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Inaugural Edition

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-ch...-srt8-392.html

Not bad I like the 2 special color combo schemes. 470 HP/TQ ain't bad either. Suspension Upgrade. White with Blue striped leather interior. Pretty darn cool!
Can't wait to see what Chevy has in store for Camaro for the 2012 model year between the SS and Z28!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #65
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
And the HP wars rage on........
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #66
ctSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
As a form SRT8 owner, it all sounds good. They should have done something about the extra weight it carries around though too.
ctSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #67
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctSS View Post
As a form SRT8 owner, it all sounds good. They should have done something about the extra weight it carries around though too.
Yeah, but the Challenger is good for what it is. I think the Chally is aimed at being more of a cruiser than full blown performer. Even the Camaro which is aimed at being a performer struggles with it's weight and was a huge dissapointment to me. The Camaro just doesn't feel agile or fast enough to me considering what it was aimed or marketed to be. But they are all great cars but I'm used to a Vette light and fast.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #68
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
yeah the challenger is not the kind of car you see actually being RACED, it's aimed at guys/girls that want alot of attitude and a badass looking ride not necissarily a performance machine.

still a cool car though
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #69
SRT392

Drives: Challenger SRT 392 Limited
Challenger SRT

Hey group,
Its good to see no bashing on the Challenger.. there is always some in groups that do and that happens on Challenger talk too.
I am a former Camaro SS owner.
Loved it but I am 51 hard to get in and out of.
I have a Limited SRT 392 on the way in white.
I dont plan on racing anyone and I have also owned a regular 6.1 SRT8 and it was fast enough. I am excited about the tuned suspension, that should be interesting along with some extra torque.
I like the Challenger but I think age has something to do with it.
Its big and comfortable to ride in. Weight does not matter at all to me.
I like both in the looks category.
I hope these HP wars continue but something tells me we are living on borrowed time with Muscle cars.. enjoy while we can.
Doug
SRT392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #70
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks like an interesting car. Still more $ than my Camaro 2SS- which is one of the main reason's I bought a Camaro over the Challenger.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote