Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #295
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
I don't see what's wrong with these helmets? They worked just fine back in the day!

Or these...

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #296
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
Because today everyone is all touchy feely, and sues everyone for everything so they need to put in all these regulations..
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #297
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSSkier874 View Post
Because today everyone is all touchy feely, and sues everyone for everything so they need to put in all these regulations..
When I rode a long in my first auto cross I was sitting in the trunk space of my dads 1979 Corvette Stingray lol. Although I did have a helmet
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #298
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Hey, at least his front headlight is protected by a helmet.

Probably not a good idea. But no bugs

You're set if you need to throw something away when you get there

Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #299
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
DOUBLEYOU TEE EFF?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #300
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
This helmet thing stinks. I have a $450 shoei helmet that has been worn twice but isn't new enough to pass. Can they be recertified?
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #301
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
This is the best information I could find on the subject @ http://www.leatherup.com/g/DOT-Approved-Helmets/89.html

DOT Approved Helmets

In 1972 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that they were going to develop a standard for motorcycle helmets. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218, commonly referred to as the DOT standard, was written using information and methodology that was developed several years earlier. The initial draft was supposed to be revised before its release in 1974, but the changes were never made. Although the DOT standard could use some alterations, it still provides for a safer helmet then one that has not been DOT approved.

There are two key differences between a SNELL and DOT approved helmet. First, is the testing standards the helmets go through, and second, is the verification of the results.

It's easy to get lost in the scientific jargon when trying to sift through the testing process of both standards. Simplified, DOT and Snell assess each helmet by placing it on a head form that is equipped with sensors. The helmeted head form is then dropped from a specific height onto a steel anvil, and the severity of the impact is recorded.

DOT and Snell test each helmet two times at four different impact zones. DOT drops their helmets from a 6-foot height on the flat anvil and from a 4.5-foot height on the hemispherical anvil. Snell on the other hand, drops the helmets from a 10-foot and 7.5-foot height on both anvils, which simulates a more severe impact.

DOT certification, however, is less regulated. The manufacturer performs their own tests and determines whether their helmets are DOT approved. Even though the manufacturer doesn't have to report their findings, the government does occasionally conduct limited tests or spot checks. Nevertheless, allowing each company to test their own equipment and not make them report their results means that the DOT certification is done by the honor system.

The DOT standards are important because they outline the minimum requirements all motorcycle helmets must meet, which has already saved countless lives. But if you want to make sure your helmet has been tested impartially, then buying a helmet with the Snell sticker on it is a dependable alternative.

Back to my own word, I am not sure there is such a thing as a DOT SA2010 helmet as the DOT rating is for motorcycles and the SA motorsports. While the SA helmet would equal or surpass the DOT impact standards, the field of vision may not.
I guess I should have made it a little more clear. I meant street legal (vision). I knew that Snell was tougher standards than just DOT.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #302
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Hey, at least his front headlight is protected by a helmet.

Probably not a good idea. But no bugs

You're set if you need to throw something away when you get there

Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #303
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Count me in for modified!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #304
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Wooooooo Hooooooooo BowtieBelle. Girls Rule. Let's show the boys how it's done. (or at least give it a shot).

Okay, on anotehr subject. Don't get me wrong, I for sure want to do this. But it is ratehr hart to commit to a particular time frame before the schedule is announced & you know what you might be missing at that time. Isn't this getting the cart a bit before the horse? I wonder if that is why folks did not follow through previous years? Like i said before, this is my first C5 Fest & I don't want to miss out on anything. Okay, I'm sure at an event like this, in reality, that is impossible, but I want to do as much as I possibly can. Any ides how soon the schedule is going to be announced?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #305
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Wooooooo Hooooooooo BowtieBelle. Girls Rule. Let's show the boys how it's done. (or at least give it a shot).

Okay, on anotehr subject. Don't get me wrong, I for sure want to do this. But it is ratehr hart to commit to a particular time frame before the schedule is announced & you know what you might be missing at that time. Isn't this getting the cart a bit before the horse? I wonder if that is why folks did not follow through previous years? Like i said before, this is my first C5 Fest & I don't want to miss out on anything. Okay, I'm sure at an event like this, in reality, that is impossible, but I want to do as much as I possibly can. Any ides how soon the schedule is going to be announced?
Last year we ran four autocross sessions -- 9:30 to Noon and 1:30 to 4:30, both days. Some ran all four sessions and some ran one session. I would say it is reasonably safe to predict that the C5FEST III schedule will be similar. Long story short, you won't miss anything, unless you miss a session of Autocross
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #306
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Last year we ran four autocross sessions -- 9:30 to Noon and 1:30 to 4:30, both days. Some ran all four sessions and some ran one session. I would say it is reasonably safe to predict that the C5FEST III schedule will be similar. Long story short, you won't miss anything, unless you miss a session of Autocross
Having been to several big car events like this before, we should still be able to attend the planned events like cruises, even if we work a session. I would guess that the drag sessions will run concurrently with the autocross sessions, and the vendors will be open the whole time the sessions are being held. We might miss some sit down BS time, but we've got lots of time for that, but I hope the venue and schedule are announced SOONER rather than later!

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #307
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
QFT

Remember folks, volunteers will tremendously help this event run smoothe as silk! Members that have volunteered and in post #2 with either Friday or Saturday, AM or PM. This is generic for right now.

I'm plugging the names in, and once the official schedule of events is released I can move names around based on what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Thanks all! I would like to get some dedicated corner workers when the Fest timelines are announced. I'm keeping a list of those offering help with me. I'll try to break it down into time hacks so you know exactly when we need you at the AutoCross course. Hopefully I can do this early enough and post it so if there is a conflict, I can work it out to benefit YOU.

First and foremost this is to be fun! No frowns allowed. There will be a cycle of working corners and participating in the AutoCross so things will keep moving.

Hope ya'll are looking forward to this as much as I am!!
I added you to modified BowtieBelle!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #308
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
I know this is going to show my age but what is QFT?

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote