Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
hp junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Stock rear wheels on front hit! WTF

I just installed a set of stock rear 20x9 wheels on the front and they hit my Pfadt coilovers. The tire hit the adjusting nut by 1/4". From my understanding this shouldn't have been an issue at all. My alignment is not that aggressive either. I can adjust the coilover out but I was looking to add the additional tread width and a more aggressive alignment. Any thoughts? Not to hot on spacers.
2010 2SS M6 CGM LMR cold air, texas speed underdrive pulley and complete stainless exhaust 17/8 headers coated, comp LSR cam, push rods and trunion upgrade, norris catch can, prothane engine mounts, pfadt coilovers, BMR everything suspension, BMR four point strut, MGW billet shifter, barton pistol grip handle, AAC dome and footwell blue, all lights 25% tint, RKsport carbon inlay spoiler, powdercoated calipers, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, West Bend Dyno tune 491rwhp and 465rwtq corrected.

Last edited by hp junkie; 03-19-2012 at 09:35 PM.
hp junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
what is the offset on the wheels?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
hp junkie

They are stock SS rear wheels with 40mm offset and they hit the coilover.
2010 2SS M6 CGM LMR cold air, texas speed underdrive pulley and complete stainless exhaust 17/8 headers coated, comp LSR cam, push rods and trunion upgrade, norris catch can, prothane engine mounts, pfadt coilovers, BMR everything suspension, BMR four point strut, MGW billet shifter, barton pistol grip handle, AAC dome and footwell blue, all lights 25% tint, RKsport carbon inlay spoiler, powdercoated calipers, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, West Bend Dyno tune 491rwhp and 465rwtq corrected.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
How bad is it? Close or wayyyy off?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
jeremywilson18

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS RS(LSX 454)
Send a message via MSN to jeremywilson18
I thought they were supposed to be a straight swap
jeremywilson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
The factory rear 20x9 wheels ( 40mm offset ) with 275/40/20 tires work perfectly on the front with stock struts and some aftermarket coil overs. The Pedders coil overs will work, the MTI and KW's ( and perhaps others ) will not.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp junkie View Post
I just installed a set of stock rear 20x9 wheels on the front and they hit my Pfadt coilovers. The tire hit the adjusting nut by 1/4". From my understanding this shouldn't have been an issue at all. My alignment is not that aggressive either. I can adjust the coilover out but I was looking to add the additional tread width and a more aggressive alignment. Any thoughts? Not to hot on spacers.
If it's close you could always run a small spacer if you've got enough room to the outside of the fender. We do on our BBS wheel setup and have absolutely no problems with running something small. We do have both 5mm and 10mm spacers available.

Another option, since you were looking to go with a more aggressive alignment anyway would be to move to camber plates. With camber plates you can dial in max positive camber for extra clearance with the strut camber adjustment, and then dial in the alignment you want with the much easier to use camber plates at the top of the strut tower.

Either one of these solutions will gain you some more room between the tire and spring.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
hp junkie

I'm sure plates would create enough room, but I think your spacers are more in my price range as of now. I will do some measuring and see what I need. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
hp junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
If it's close you could always run a small spacer if you've got enough room to the outside of the fender. We do on our BBS wheel setup and have absolutely no problems with running something small. We do have both 5mm and 10mm spacers available.

Another option, since you were looking to go with a more aggressive alignment anyway would be to move to camber plates. With camber plates you can dial in max positive camber for extra clearance with the strut camber adjustment, and then dial in the alignment you want with the much easier to use camber plates at the top of the strut tower.

Either one of these solutions will gain you some more room between the tire and spring.
Could you pm me a price on what your 10mm spacer cost and could I just get some arp studs? Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post

Can you send me a link for the spacers? Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
my bad...nm
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
hellrazrblade
Synergize

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy
Eibach makes a 15mm hub centric spacer. You only have to grind off the unthreaded tip of the stock studs. All threads are maintained. I just installed a pair in the rear (will make an install thread later this weekend).
hellrazrblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazrblade View Post
Eibach makes a 15mm hub centric spacer. You only have to grind off the unthreaded tip of the stock studs. All threads are maintained. I just installed a pair in the rear (will make an install thread later this weekend).
Link? I haven't seen Camaro specific spacers before.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
hellrazrblade
Synergize

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Link? I haven't seen Camaro specific spacers before.
Eibach's 15mm spacer manufacturer part number is 90.4.15.027.2
The seller will probably have their own number.

You can find them on eibach.com:
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...5.027.2/3269.0

or

http://www.jcwhitney.com/eibach-pro-...id=d244y2011j1

Most places do not have them in stock, but autopartswarehouse.com had them when I ordered. The next shipment is supposed to come over from Germany around the beginning of next month (no 4/1 foolery).

How much room do you think you could move it out without getting past the fender? I don't think you would want to go any thinner with this type of spacer. Would need to go to a spacer and longer studs setup instead.
Attached Images

Last edited by hellrazrblade; 03-21-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: more info
hellrazrblade is offline   Reply With Quote