Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Question K&N or Spectre Air Filter

I've always used K&N air filters in all the cars I've owned, but just recently started seeing the Spectre air filters in stores, cheaper than K&N. They look to be almost identical to K&N.

Which air filter do you use in the Camaro: K&N, Spectre or something else?
(**I don't want to install a cold air intake yet since I'm still paying off the car).
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
45SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
CAI, costs a little more, but the fit and finish is unmatched! 15 hp gain, great sound!!! The manufacturer claims around 4mpg gain, I see about 2 on the highway, will pay for itself! Check em out!
45SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
SilveRS
Dream Big, Work Hard....

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM
My uncle is an exhaust/emissions engineer with Cummins and he has always recommended K&N to me. Personally have never heard anything about Spectre.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
CamaroKevin

Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45SS View Post
CAI, costs a little more, but the fit and finish is unmatched! 15 hp gain, great sound!!! The manufacturer claims around 4mpg gain, I see about 2 on the highway, will pay for itself! Check em out!
Do you know if CAI's void the factory warranty? I really don't want to lose the 4 years I have on the car by just adding one on too soon. I really want to do it at some point after I get the car paid though
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
CamaroKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveRS View Post
My uncle is an exhaust/emissions engineer with Cummins and he has always recommended K&N to me. Personally have never heard anything about Spectre.
Yeah, I think if I were to go with one, I'd go with K&N since I know nothing about Spectre. Was just curious if anyone had used them in the Camaro or something different. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
scooner131

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
I bought thr K&N myself. I like the looks and noticed a difference. Plus K&N has been around for years and they will stand behind you with GM if there would be a problem. That is what I was told at Jeggs where I ordered from.
scooner131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKevin View Post
Do you know if CAI's void the factory warranty? I really don't want to lose the 4 years I have on the car by just adding one on too soon. I really want to do it at some point after I get the car paid though
You should look up some "no-tune" intakes. That would be your best bet. Just pull the intake off if you ever have warranty issues. I honestly wouldn't worry about it though. Your warranty isn't just gonna be voided by you installing an air box.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
A cold air intake doesn't void your warranty, I personally wouldnt get either but that's just my opinion cai inc ftw
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Check this out regarding drop in filters: Drop in filter flow test shoot-out. I highly recommend the S&B brand filter personally, IMO they are the best bang for you buck drop in filter while also offering your engine maximum protection compared to some other brands. We happen to stock the S&B filter, and cleaning kits as well if you are interested, free shipping on all current S&B stock to the lower 48.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
I picked a K&N filter 63-3074 brand new for $188.00 I've always had good luck with them and they can handle a lot of work and perform well.

For those who are wondering...Filter was $255.52 on Amazon plus shipping was $267.59 minus $79.52 for reward points equals $188.07

I am going to upgrade even further when it's time for a tune with an LSR Performance cold air intake and probably have them upgrade my Brembo brakes. I've been curious about those guys for awhile.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have the K&N drop in filter that a friend of mine/Camaro5 member gave me, (thanks again FL1CK!) and works wonderfully! Has a million mile warranty on it too! Of course, I do plan to go with a CAI at some point, but having this filter in the meantime is pretty sweet!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKevin View Post
CAI's DO NOT void your factory warranty. Just put the thing on, no tuning required and enjoy.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Spectre makes good products that don't break the bank. Anyone ever see the Carbon Camaro they have?
Attached Images

Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Read up on your warranty:

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...enied&g=semaga

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k&n air filter, replacement, spectre air filter