Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
"tuned" MAF

just curious if this is something that is legit or a rip off. there are no numbers to justify the $180 price tag so it makes me skeptical. is our OEM something that Vince already "tunes" to adjust our AFR? just thought i'd throw this out there since i don't recall there being any discussion about it yet.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ng-2336-0.html

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Don't believe this this is applicable to to the V6. On the V8's, GM had two contractor's to provide MAF's.
It was found one supplier's wasn't as sensitive and provide as strong a signal for throttle changes, etc..

Only effected the LS3, L99's. You wanted one with a code including a "letter" followed by a #, like 'K18'. If it was just a letter- 'V' or such, it was weak and could effect performance, even though it met GM specifications.
I replaced one on a friend's L99 after some mods. Haven't talked to him yet about results.

No cross-over to the LLT or LFX to my knowledge.

Bought mine from a Chevy dealer for $80 + tax. I see Mr. Granatelli's is a K13, but seems to be charging a bit more...
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

wow...

but if your running a 1LT...then why did you purchase one if it only effected the LS3 & L99?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Ventmaster

You're speed reading Hapi- slow down..

Its been suggested that Granatelli's may be "re-badging" more that one GM product. With aftermarket car parts, its always buyer-beware (or aware, or is it wary?) Or "a fool and his money... "
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Don't believe this this is applicable to to the V6. On the V8's, GM had two contractor's to provide MAF's.
It was found one supplier's wasn't as sensitive and provide as strong a signal for throttle changes, etc..

Only effected the LS3, L99's. You wanted one with a code including a "letter" followed by a #, like 'K18'. If it was just a letter- 'V' or such, it was weak and could effect performance, even though it met GM specifications.
I replaced one on a friend's L99 after some mods. Haven't talked to him yet about results.

No cross-over to the LLT or LFX to my knowledge.

Bought mine from a Chevy dealer for $80 + tax. I see Mr. Granatelli's is a K13, but seems to be charging a bit more...
haha...ROFLMAO (literally)

yeah, i see how that could be mistaken for buying Granatelli's...my bad. i was just referencing your purchase in general. so did you just upgrade your MAF according to the XYZ123 based on the "better" supplier according to the results from the V8 guys because yours was labeled with a V (or such)?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Exactly, apparently it was Vararam that intially discovered the difference between the MAF makers.
Seems either sensor is O.K., but when you start making mods- like a Vararam CAI, one is better than another.

I'd put a catback and CAI on for my friend and saw the MAF was weak. Figured I'd cover all the bases to get the most bang for the buck (want him to think I'm a great mechanic!).

But I believe its just a V8 thing...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Exactly, apparently it was Vararam that intially discovered the difference between the MAF makers.
Seems either sensor is O.K., but when you start making mods- like a Vararam CAI, one is better than another.

I'd put a catback and CAI on for my friend and saw the MAF was weak. Figured I'd cover all the bases to get the most bang for the buck (want him to think I'm a great mechanic!).

But I believe its just a V8 thing...
...i kid i kid!

sounds good enough to me. thanks for the info, thats the first i've heard about the MAF's though..."its a Vararam thing, i wouldn't understand"...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
it's the same exact thing as a $2 dollars resistor mod. It's basically tricking your IAT to see temp preset such as 20F in the middle of summer. It actually used to do wonders I heard back in the days. Not so much for today's ecm.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote