Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #99
kinyu

Drives: POS
I don't really care too much about his comments. Those comments alone wouldn't push me to not purchase his product. What will keep me from purchasing his product is that (based on the mustang and the announcement of the challenger) it's overpriced for what you get, and the looks are not to my taste.
By the way, what happened with his original company? Why did he have to start a new one?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #100
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
Steve Saleen's new company, SMS Limited, will build the SMS 570 and 570X Challengers in Anaheim, California. The two models are targeted to start at $60,000 and $70,000, respectively. The SMS 296 supercharger pushes massive amounts of air to the 5.7L HEMI backed by a 6-speed manual transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaross View Post
Wonder how much this is gonna cost?
That's easy. SMS Camaros should cost just about the same as the SMS Challengers. Steve Saleen will follow the same formula he established years ago with the Mustang and has already announced for the Challenger. He starts with the 5.7L hemi Challenger R/T (instead of the higher priced 6.1L SRT8) to keep his cost down, and he will start with the 1SS Camaro for the same reason. He changes only the body panels which are easiest to make and to install: front and rear fascias, hood, side skirts and spoilers. He puts his own design supercharger on without upgrading the engine. (Rebuilding the engine with forged internals would be too costly.) This is exactly how he turns a $31K MSRP Challenger R/T or $31K MSRP 1SS Camaro into a $60K SMS and lets him charge around $30K for his base package and another $10K for the "extras" like carbon fiber splitters and trim. His base package doubles the cost of the car he starts with and his premium package even provides a little extra profit for him. And he will certainly be paying a lot less than MSRP for the 1SS Camaros that he converts into $60K SMS Camaros.

PS - When his former company, Saleen (which still owns the rights to his name), actually installed forged rods and crankshaft before installing a Saleen supercharger, the selling price was as much as $100K (like for the Saleen Platinum edition Mustang).
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #101
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
He left the company. Coincidentally (I think) a little while after his mustang luncheon with the infamous "speech". Saleen is still going strong from what I know, but I'm just a nobody.

Steve's reason for leaving was that he wanted to work with imports and Saleen didn't want to. He left to create his own company for creative design as opposed to being pigeonholed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #102
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Steve's reason for leaving was that he wanted to work with imports and Saleen didn't want to. He left to create his own company for creative design as opposed to being pigeonholed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If that's true, then that's just one more mark against him for me. I really don't like this guy...or his overpriced cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #103
Sharpe

Drives: White/White '99 Z28 M6 Y3F
I can feel the love in here.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #104
Elvis-Freshley

Drives: Many White Cadillacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis-Freshley View Post
Man all you Folks are Big on Tom Henry

He's Cool

But Shoot

GIMME A YENKO CAMARO BABY

Bring Don Yenko Back Son

Shoot if i somehow strike it rich within these next few months all my Mods are gonna go to Replicate a Yenko (R.I.P)

YENKO>SALEEN

GET IT CUHHHHHHHHHH
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #105
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Let's remove the Steve Saleen factor from this discussion for just a moment.

What if every aftermarket "tuner" Camaro followed his formula? That is, they start with a 1SS Camaro (that they buy at a discount from GM) and charge $60K for it after adding a supercharger (on top of the stock block and heads), stiffen up the suspension, modify the exhaust, plus make various exterior (new fascias, hood and spoilers) and interior trim upgrades. Whose tuner Camaro with these mods is worth $60K? Yenko? Baldwin Motion?

Last edited by littlecammi; 01-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #106
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:

GET IT CUHHHHHHHHHH
Sorry but as much as I would like to see a 5th Yenko Camaro It won't happen. For the simple fact that Don Yenko has passed away and the dealership closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
TOM HENRY RACING
Whoa wait a second, since when did he change his name from little weasel?
I'm lost right now.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #107
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I respect the product. But both Roush and Saleen will be fighting the battle of winning Chevy enthusiast over. That won't be easy. The name recognition that serves them so well now, will only serve to hurt them where we are concerned. Enthusiasts won't want to associate their cars with long time Ford Tuners. Call it immature if you want. But I'm sure a die hard Mustang guy won't want Callaway on their car.

I love roush mustangs! I would love to have a roush camaro over a saleen camaro

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #108
Elvis-Freshley

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Let's remove the Steve Saleen factor from this discussion for just a moment.

What if every aftermarket "tuner" Camaro followed his formula? That is, they start with a 1SS Camaro (that they buy at a discount from GM) and charge $60K for it after adding a supercharger (on top of the stock block and heads), stiffen up the suspension, modify the exhaust, plus make various exterior (new fascias, hood and spoilers) and interior trim upgrades. Whose tuner Camaro with these mods is worth $60K? Yenko? Baldwin Motion?

Roush is able to charge a bit less for a lot of their modified Mustangs than the Saleen company charges. But that is because Roush doesn't replace the hood (they only add their own design scoop) and doesn't replace the rear fascia (they only add their own design rear spoiler). The Saleen Mustangs are easier to identify by their different body panels. Roush Mustangs need the unique vinyl tape striping that Roush adds to help tell their cars apart from standard Mustang GTs. I only bring this up lest someone propose that a Yenko Camaro would be priced more like a Roush than a Saleen. But the Yenko would be equipped more like the Saleens, if the Yenko included replacing the stock hood with the hood with the '67 'vette scoop and stinger.

Man Yenko was a dealership not some fancy Saleen BS

Yenko sold Camaros

He just thought they were underpowered so he Yenkofyed Emm

Which means putting in a L-72 427

and a fiberglass hood

Yenko was a Chevy man threw and threw

And his didnt cost a arm and a leg like Saleen

SYC

Yenko Super Chevy

I know he has passed and we will not see a True Yenko

But i would love to see a concept with the SYC decals and seats

DON YENKO> QUEEF SALEEN
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #109
Elvis-Freshley

Quote:
Man Yenko was a dealership not some fancy Saleen BS

Yenko sold Camaros

He just thought they were underpowered so he Yenkofyed Emm

Which means putting in a L-72 427

and a fiberglass hood

Yenko was a Chevy man threw and threw

And his didnt cost a arm and a leg like Saleen

SYC

Yenko Super Chevy

I know he has passed and we will not see a True Yenko

But i would love to see a concept with the SYC decals and seats

DON YENKO> QUEEF SALEEN
Hell does he have a son or grandson?

Any Yenko's Left

Have them bring back the brand and apply that to a 5th Gen

DAMN that would be truely sick that would combat that Saleen HARD

DUDE YALL FANCY PEOPLE CONCEPT A YENKO PLEASE!
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #110
1967rsss

Drives: 67, 68, 88, 98, 10, 12 ZL1 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Thanks for the link
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #111
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
You know reading the Challenger release (oh god here it comes... ) i think the challenger might actually be a viable sports car when Saleen gets done with it... between the extra ponies out of the Hemi (already somewhere near 450hp before s/c) and the 6 speed manual tranny along with the extra downforce (that boat looks like it gets lift at around 150mph) provided by the front splitter and the rear spoiler this might be a challenge for the production SS Camaro lol maybe Dodge needs to look at the SMS challenger and learn a thing or two.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #112
oramac0002

Drives: 2000 Camaro
I would never buy a saleen camaro bc everytime I hear his name I think of those over priced pieces of s##t that he builds and to me its not worth it unless it's Tom Henry, SLP, GMMG, and Lingenfelter.

Closed Thread