Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rants about the Thursday Night Cruise + Mid atl. Cara.

Haven't seen a decent rant yet so I'll start.

Loved the idea of the cruise. The Indianapolis PD did a spectacular job.

Those hazard lights though...wow. Coming from an ex-leo... that was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. The danger we brought to the high way was outrageous. I witness 3 very near misses including one of my own.

I was cruising...I had my lady in the car. I did not say but maybe 10 words to her that entire cruise. I was too focused on the car in front of me. Even at that...I nearly rear ended a ZL1. Someone 2 cars in front of him slammed on their breaks...started a chain reaction...next thing I know I was sideways looking at the median. I was paying full attention the whole time. I made sure I had a nice gap for a bail out on both sides the whole trip.

Then when regular motorist got behind some Camaros with the hazards on...that was even worse. I saw many many close calls.

I think this was just a mistake on someones part. They just didn't think of what could happen. I understand. It was probably the IPD.

Mid-Atlantic Caravan.

Unacceptable. Cruising at a constant 80 mph. Completely dangerous. I am disappointed in how this went (edog...organization was great. You did a spectacular job man). Just because there are 100 of us does not mean we are above the law, as we obviously learned. It took one person calling 9-1-1 and the entire local Indiana State Patrol post started tearing us apart. How many of us were pulled over? 7-10? That accident was great also. From what I heard it sounded like a young driver not paying attention (texting?).

For those of you who did not hear about this. We had someone call the ISP on us and they sent a load of troopers after us and tore the caravan apart. Also in the chaos there was an accident involving 4 Camaros. Just use this as an example when you are cruising with your friends or running with 100 Camaros next fest. Just use your brain. You show off more when you go slow (the speed limits).

Last edited by AdamZ; 08-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
9072SS/RS

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS RS
How in the hell can an accident be great?! Hope nobody was hurt.
9072SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Sarcasm.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
smokescreen

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Don't know where you were at in the caravan so i can't say anything about the 80 mph, but i will say that i was in the middle of the pack and was only able to do 45 - 50 mph. Edog only goes the speed limit. Alot of the issues were people hopping into the opposite lane and taking off, the cutting in making people slow down then speed up. It also didnt help when some people were keaving 4-10 car gaps, which also caused people to slow down and continuously hit their brakes. Now you are probably correct that things could have been done a little differently, but there is only so much that can be done. No one can control anothers actions.

Dont take this post as an attack, but rather as my two cents.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
I was in the first 1/3 of the cruise and we on run ave around 50mph. The flashers where a terrible idea as no one had break lights then. You had to leave a big gap to have time to react to cars in front slowing down. If was nearly in two rearenders and saw three more.
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Haven't seen a decent rant yet so I'll start.

Loved the idea of the cruise. The Indianapolis PD did a spectacular job.

Those hazard lights though...wow. Coming from an ex-leo... that was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. The danger we brought to the high way was outrageous. I witness 3 very near misses including one of my own.

I was cruising...I had my lady in the car. I did not say but maybe 10 words to her that entire cruise. I was too focused on the car in front of me. Even at that...I nearly rear ended a ZL1. Someone 2 cars in front of him slammed on their breaks...started a chain reaction...next thing I know I was sideways looking at the median. I was paying full attention the whole time. I made sure I had a nice gap for a bail out on both sides the whole trip.

Then when regular motorist got behind some Camaros with the hazards on...that was even worse. I saw many many close calls.

I think this was just a mistake on someones part. They just didn't think of what could happen. I understand. It was probably the IPD.

Mid-Atlantic Caravan.

Unacceptable. Cruising at a constant 80 mph. Completely dangerous. I am disappointed in how this went (edog...organization was great. You did a spectacular job man). Just because there are 100 of us does not mean we are above the law, as we obviously learned. It took one person calling 9-1-1 and the entire local Indiana State Patrol post started tearing us apart. How many of us were pulled over? 7-10? That accident was great also. From what I heard it sounded like a young driver not paying attention (texting?).

For those of you who did not hear about this. We had someone call the ISP on us and they sent a load of troopers after us and tore the caravan apart. Also in the chaos there was an accident involving 4 Camaros. Just use this as an example when you are cruising with your friends or running with 100 Camaros next fest. Just use your brain. You show off more when you go slow (the speed limits).
Cruises in general are inherently dangerous. If you ended up sideways facing a median it doesn't sound like were doing a whole lot better than the dude in the accident. Maybe you were secretly texting too, or your age somehow made you do it?

Point being, as dangerous as a cruise is, especially one of so many cars, that accident could have happenned to anyone. I'm sure we all have a story of a close call from the ride out - probably the main reason I left a half hour or so after everyone from Dayton.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
well i wasnt mch for all the cruise but i liked the beginning and end.
now forthe group rolling in wednesday...
i caught the tx crew in KY and rolled in with them. we made good time averaging pretty good speed...no probs there...it was fun. lol...in a dream i may have saw triple digits playing catch up in traffic a couple times. lol. i thought i was bad then i saw tagurit do a fly by on the tower in the right lane. LMAO. (i was in the white vortec car out of AR)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
First off I have to agree, the cruises and caravans were pretty crazy. I believe the mid Atlantic cruise from Dayton to Indy was the worst. We ended up leaving the pack. It was just to much. Now as far as the accident, not sure how you ment the age thing but I believe him being young has nothing to do with it. I'm 17 and I wasnt involved in any accident. I did have some close calls but almost everyone I've talked had close calls. And no the driver was not texting, I know that for a fact.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
I was white knuckled and my butt hole was puckered the whole way around 465...i left plenty of room after going from 70 to a stop a few times without warning. I even got waved by LEO to move faster a few times doing about 80 and still not keeping up with the pack....Im glad no one got hurt on that cruise especially the moto LEOs....
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
Calling the ISP proves just how big of assholes people are. If you see a ton of specialty vehicles, they're aren't there just there to block the road, etc. If anything the ISP should have been there to guide the caravans of cars. Though that would probably take a special pre-arrangement. I've always loved the idea of caravan cruises but average traffic takes a toll on cruises. People used to arrange some for the trips to the Ocean City, MD car show's but the way traffic interfered it doesn't really happen in big groups anymore. It's usually difficult just to cruise with 2 or 3 cars together. However the drive to an event like this would probably suck ass all together if you did it by yourself with no chances of group pics along the way, and etc.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
The cruise was a great idea but I won't do one on the expressway again, white knuckle all the way around the loop. The LEO's on bikes stopping all that traffic was nuts, glad no one got hurt, I guess they are used to it but it didn't seem safe.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Am I the only one ? I thought the 50 mile Indy loop cruise was great. No issues (except maybe the flashers) and the police did a great job imo.
Getting ready for a great ride:
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I heard that the Fest cruise was complete choas. I had a couple friends that just turned around and left right in the middle of the cruise. It probably wasn't the best idea for the PD to host the cruise on the expressway with heavy traffic and with almost all the Camaros only having one small brake light.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
Cruises in general are inherently dangerous. If you ended up sideways facing a median it doesn't sound like were doing a whole lot better than the dude in the accident. Maybe you were secretly texting too, or your age somehow made you do it?

Point being, as dangerous as a cruise is, especially one of so many cars, that accident could have happenned to anyone. I'm sure we all have a story of a close call from the ride out - probably the main reason I left a half hour or so after everyone from Dayton.
It was on a down hill grade so I could only see the back of the car infront of my. So I couldn't see if traffic infront of him was slowing down. That was the case for all 4 of us. Trust me I was not about to take my eyes off the road.