Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
FRONT LICENCE PLATE DISCUSSIONS

I know the issue of displaying front licence plates has bee discussed before, and most of us (in Ontario, and beyond where the law exists) do not see the need for it. It has been mentioned that dealers only use one plate, some other provinces, and a majority of the states as well.
We often say that we need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, so here is my suggestion and, how I became part of the solution.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME AND E-MAIL YOUR TRANSPORTATION MINISTER (CANADIAN) AND/OR TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT LEADERS (BEYOND CANADA).

Here is a link to the Ontario Transportation Minister whereby I sent him my e-mail outlining my suggestion to do away with the front plate, for reasons of cost cutting, serves no purpose, etc. I also gave examples of other Provinces & States who currently only use 1 licence plate.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/minister.shtml

If I get a response I will post it here, but we have to start filling up is e-mail with this topic, to show that there are numerous people with the same feeling. BE POLITE & INFORMATIVE AND WE MAY GET SOME ACTION.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
A little sidebar for this issue, my son rearended a friend of his back in 2007 and smashed up the frontend of his Cobalt SS/SC. He decided to not put the front plate back on his car and has been stopped twice for it but has never been given a ticket. When my Camaro comes in he will be doing the dealer prep. and I'll be driving home with the plate and bracket in the trunk.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Done.... oh and no front plate = $110 (and no points).... for Ontario anyway

We shall see......

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
Done.... oh and no front plate = $110 (and no points).... for Ontario anyway

We shall see......
I guess dealers must be racking up them tickets then huh?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
I'm going to try and put something together, and maybe post it here as a template - unless someone has something together already?
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
no plate for me ever
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
CanadianCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I guess dealers must be racking up them tickets then huh?

Yeah really - you must mean like my neighbour, who has a body shop and sells a few used cars on the side (probably insurance write-offs). Every one of the 3 vehicles in his driveway at this minute (all of which they've been driving for about a year) have dealer plates on them (rear only). "Hmmmm... honestly officer, I'm just taking this car for a test drive."

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Fuze

Drives: 2010RS
3rd times charm. $110 no way out this time. The cars a magnet.
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
I am having my machinist make a set of brackets fabricated that will allow me to attch a plate to the front of the car without any damage to the front bumper. I will send pics when they are done but it will be a few weeks.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
CanadianCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
3rd times charm. $110 no way out this time. The cars a magnet.
Where in TO? What police force? Metro? Were you stopped for something else or just this?

Me.... well... I'm not even gonna say it - knock on wood. Stick to the country man.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Fuze

Drives: 2010RS
North York. Metro. "Drive motor vehicle,fail to display two plates." H.T.A. Pulled over only for this.Nice.
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Ultimate_Bumblebee
On order 2LT Rally yellow

Drives: Acura TSX 2007, 2LT T-form edi
Oh that sucks so bad! The law is the law and you always run the risk of being pulled over when you're in something THAT eye catching and missing a plate. What do people do now? Drill holes in the bumper? That's horrible! I can see why you guys are resistant! Are you allowed to just put it on the dashboard? I'd rather do that than drill holes!
Ultimate_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Keep a couple of things in mind...
The cops armed with radar guns aim at your front plate. The metal acts as a very efficient reflector and gives the radar operator an accurate reading from further away than if there was no front plate on the car. Cops like front plates for another reason - it gives them a second opportunity to read the licence plate of someone they are trying to catch/identify.

According to the HTA, the front licence plate is required to be displayed at the furthermost point on the front of the car. Displaying the plate on the dashboard does not satisfy the requirements of the written legislation.

I have received a ticket for not properly displaying a front plate when I had it affixed to the front air dam on my 98! (not the furthermost point on the front of the car!). FWIW, the officer was manning a speed trap and couldn't point the gun at my front plate!

I have also received 2 tickets for not having a front plate at all. All 3 tickets were issued without my being pulled over for another offence - and I wasn't speeding when pulled over with the plate on the air dam. I was able to beat all 3 tickets by going to court and showing a before and after picture - one with no front plate and the other with the licence plate on the front of the car showing that I'd "remedied" the situation. I didn't tell the J.P. that it was stuck on only with velcro in order to take the shot!

It is apparently up to the discretion of the officer as to whether or not you are issued a ticket. Along with my 3 tickets, I have been given 1 warning - and the officer specifically warned me that I would be in for more tickets, "because your car does attract attention." She was definitely right about receiving more tickets.

Also check with your insurance co. regarding violations and how they might impact your premiums... some insurance companies look at all violations (moving or otherwise, points or not) as an excuse to bump rates.

Check this hideaway plate bracket from Swift...
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...bae86be54abc93

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
I got a response from the Transportation Minister's office, for what it's worth.

Here is my e-mail to the Minister:

Dear Minister. I think in these changing times, whereby we are always looking to cutcosts, I would like to pass on my suggestion, be it small butthoughtful, about front licence plates in this province. I find thatthe front licence plate does not serve any great purpose, and isunnecessary, and would assist in cutting cost for the ministry. I don'texactly know how many Ontario registered vehicles we have, I'm sure it'sinto the hundreds or thousands or more. If you do the calculation onwhat it cost to produce 2 licence plates vs. only one, I'm sure thesavings can be substantial. I don't think that we should have todisplay two plates, when dealers are given only one plate to display. Irealize that it's simply to move cars around, but the reality is wellknown by all that these dealers overstep their bounds and use them forpersonal use as well. Furthermore, there are some other provinces, anda majority of the united states, that only require one plate to bedisplayed. It is kn!own that some states, who currently have to display two plates, are inthe process of changing legislation, and moving to be like their counterparts, and display only one. I hope the ministry accepts this suggestion seriously, and pushesforward to change legislation for the display of only 1 licence plate. Thank you.

Here is the response from his office:

Thank you for your e-mail. It is important to the ministry and has beenforwarded to the appropriate ministry office for review.Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to Minister Bradley'sattention. He always appreciates hearing from members of the public.