Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Fuzzy Dice

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
New info from the Canadian Show (and a few GM folks)

I went to the Canadian Auto Show and spent at least an hour between the black LT and IOM SS they had. Also chatted with some folks from the assembly plant and scored some VERY interesting info. Other impressions are posted below that news.

Hold on to your seat, but there is apparently a GREEN coming. A few factory workers were at the show and available for questions. I asked a pile—one of which got me the answer that the paint shop has recently painted a green Camaro. Not lime, not emerald, but somewhere in the middle and metallic from what I gather. Not available on any other GM car but the guy from the plant told me it is the nicest colour of all when you see it on the car. It may become the colour they show the production convertible with or possibly a late add for the coupe. Wow.

Also- Canadian allocations—2300 units in CY 2009. Production split would be 15% LS, 40%1LT, 10% 2LT, 10% 1SS and 25% 2SS.

Hurst shifter pricing still not released for Canada but it is still slated as a dealer installed option.

Several convertibles have been made on the line already.

Ambient Lighting---they have made a number of cars with the feature on the line but there are delays and there are ‘issues’ being worked on. Apparently the dash portion has seen some challenges during testing but it looks awesome when it works. The plant guys did not know whether the feature would make it for initial startup or would be yet another late add.

HUD – the guys I talked to have also seen HUD units come through but didn’t elaborate on what the delay is there, other than to say it is delayed.

Other thoughts:

VIN on the 2SS was #39. Looking down in front of the engine I saw a sticker from Martinrea stamping plant in Ajax, Ontario dated Dec 2008, so that vehicle was obviously built sometime in late Dec or thereafter. I did not note the VIN on the LT as I was so captivated by the SS. IOM colour is phenomenal. Not as red as it looks in pictures. Those of you who ordered it sight unseen are going to be completely amazed.

Leather quality was great and seats very comfortable. I am 5'8" and found headroom a bit less than expected...but that may be because the seat was raised a bit. The battery was disconnected so we couldn't adjust the height. Leg room was great up front and a bit snug in back. Visibility through the windshield was narrower than Challenger or Mustang. Both vehicles had the sunroof--a GM guy suggested that this particular sunroof reduces headroom by about 1.5". Noticed that the vinyl stripes were very thick--yet not thick enough to prevent some prying fingers from picking at them to see how easily they come off.

A few disappointments about the interior for me. Dash material was a bit 'plasticky'--don't think Pontiac Sunfire (sorry Sunfire owners) but also don't think Chev Impala either. I found the radio area to be a bit awkward to look at so I couldn't help but wonder how a Nav system or Challenger-style MyGig setup would enhance the appeal a bit more. I also found that tapping my fingers on the passenger side where the airbag would be produced a hollow drum sound—I don’t know if there was an airbag in it, but the sound did seem a bit unusual. Console gauge pack was awesome on the 2SS. Trunk opening was a bit smaller than I hoped, but inside cargo space was adequate for my usage. For those fellow hockey players, you will struggle to fit a hockey bag through the opening, but there is enough room inside to carry it. Will have to wait to see one at a dealer to confirm. Golf bags should fit without issue, but you will have to remove the longer clubs and put them in separately.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 02-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Fuzzy Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Rake

Drives: 2007 Mustang V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice View Post
Hold on to your seat, but there is apparently a GREEN coming. A few factory workers were at the show and available for questions. I asked a pile—one of which got me the answer that the paint shop has recently painted a green Camaro. Not lime, not emerald, but somewhere in the middle and metallic from what I gather. Not available on any other GM car but the guy from the plant told me it is the nicest colour of all when you see it on the car. It may become the colour they show the production convertible with or possibly a late add for the coupe. Wow.
That would be a nice surprise, especially if it came out this model year. If those cars don't show up until really late in the year, though, wouldn't they basically be 2011 model cars?
Rake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
VJCamaro
Please not have any Delay

Drives: 2SS, RS, Sunroof, Polished
Please tell me you took pictures of the Black Camaro? For the GM guys, I would pay extra money for the green, like you would for the Red Jewel Metallic.

Thanks for the comments, but a find
VJCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
r0cketdr

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS
Very nice information. Thank you
r0cketdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
great review!!!
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Definitly a great review, im hoping they get the ABL issue fixed for production. Did anyone know if were getting the same delay for v6s as the US, my dealer went through the ssystem and it didnt show any constriants, the list was empty. Is there a different way to check for constraints?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Thank you........ great job. So only a third of cars in Canada will have leather and a 1/3 will be V8.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks!

One note/correction: the 4pack gauges are included with the 2LT and 2SS, independent of the RS package.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJCamaro View Post
Please tell me you took pictures of the Black Camaro? For the GM guys, I would pay extra money for the green, like you would for the Red Jewel Metallic.

Thanks for the comments, but a find
Here's a picture link from the Toronto Show.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...onto+auto+show
Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Fuzzy Dice

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Thanks!

One note/correction: the 4pack gauges are included with the 2LT and 2SS, independent of the RS package.
Thanks UCF. I had a brain cramp on that one. Mine will be 2SS/RS so I'm covered.
Fuzzy Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Thanks for the info
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Convertible news! YEA!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
oh man that changes everything! green is my fav color and since i have to wait to get cgm whats a little while longer for green. i hope we get this confirmed soon!
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote