Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
An Indy Thank You -- and more.....

For "Keeping the Faith".......

I’d like to start with an apology.

So many of you took the time to travel to Indy this past weekend to celebrate the rebirth of an Automotive Icon……. Many more of you would have loved to be there, but we all realize how ‘life happens’ and that you have responsibilities that you take seriously. And while we missed you, we more than understand.

For those of you who were at Indy...my wish -- and the wish of many others -- is to ensure that your trip was worthy of your time -- and that it will always be one of those ‘memories’ that you’ll never quite forget……..

Unfortunately I’m a perfectionist in some respects…….and I have this need to make sure things are as they should be. I sometimes forget that ‘perfection’ is a great ideal…but rarely does it occur. Nevertheless, it necessarily means that I end up running around -- -- running around a lot.........

If I was abrupt with you this weekend - or if I did not get the chance to personally thank you for being there -- or I didn’t get a chance to spend time with you -- or if I “blew by you” as I was on a mission -- I sincerely apologize. YOU are the reason the Camaro is returning -- and I hope you’ll forgive my ‘ways.’

Now -- on to the weekend…………..

I said a prayer a few years back……“Mom Settlemire” is great for saying “Let Go and Let God…..” -- and so I asked of Him: “ I’m turning this over to You……there are a lot of people who feel strongly about this car -- and the company can’t afford to lose these people - so I’ll ‘get out of your way’ now -- will you see to it that it returns?”

……..and within a few weeks, the concept was born in the design studios of General Motors. I will tell you right now that I had little involvement with the concept save for some meetings with the VLE team and of course the unveiling……..what you now see is the talents of a team that has a real passion for the Camaro. Cheryl and John and Al have been so kind to allow me to be a part of the new Camaro team -- and I hope that my contributions will have made this car the best that it can be.

What I CAN take credit for is not accepting “no.” I would not let the Camaro name die within the Chevy family - and I would not allow it to die in the Camaro Enthusiast community -- but then, neither would any of you! If it meant spending late hours on the internet -- or upsetting Senior Management when I would constantly ‘harp’ on the Camaro………so be it…..
……………………..Some things are worth a great fight………….

So -- this weekend at Indy was the culmination of many sleepless nights…for a lot of people….of much worry and toil……and frankly, it was -- to use an old adage “ a labor of love. “ I’ve been waiting for this weekend for much longer than you probably realize -- since late 1996 to be exact when I was told that the 4th gen would be no more after 1998. I vowed then and there that I’d do whatever I could to see that there would be a 5th gen. However, you need to know that I’m not at the top of the ladder in the company -- so the decisions would be made much higher up than I…….

I so look forward to seeing my fellow Camaro and Firebird enthusiasts at events…….but what would make this weekend so much …………more………….would be to see the looks on your faces as you collectively got to feast your eyes on a couple of the ‘ production intent ‘ Camaros.

I must say I was not disappointed in the least.

I laugh now when I remember that I was showing many of you the ‘underhood’ of the Silver SS --- and I suddenly pointed out the Chevy Bowtie that is embossed in the hood liner. About 25 people dropped down with their cameras at once to capture what it looks like …….maybe you had to be there…….

I watched as many of you returned time and time again to the Camaros - to just ‘take them in……’ -- and I now wish I were the one who’d brought a camera -- to catch the expressions of love on so many faces.

Does everyone love the new car?

No …..but the resounding majority certainly do!

And of course, it was a thrill beyond words to walk thru “Gasoline Alley” and look at the hundreds of Camaros and Firebirds -- and Corvettes as well……and see the pride that each of you put into your cars………I never tire of that……..

It was a real challenge to find my ‘favorite’ Camaro and Firebird -- but a White SS convertible with Gold stripes beckoned to me………and then there was the Bright Blue Metallic WS6 that was just -- stunning……..

I know I didn’t get to sign a few cars that people asked me to -- invariably I find myself running to put out a small fire here -- or to help with a problem there -- but I hope I’ll be able to do that for you soon……….I’m humbled that someone would want me -- a guy from Mars, Pa -- to sign their car…..and in my wildest dreams I would have never guessed that I’d be the guy whose signatures some people want………..

I can never say “Thank You” enough………

Thank You…..

…..for keeping the dream alive.

…..for keeping the faith……

…..for your continued support of the Camaro/Firebird community …..

…..for traveling to the many shows all over North America….

…..for your kind words when I had doubts…..

…..for your patience with me as I ran past you at any number of events……(usually with a very intense look on my face…..)

…..for your love of all things Camaro/Firebird……..

…..for your generosity at the many auctions we’ve held for Charity -- in our latest endeavor, we were able to raise over $10,000 for Riley Children’s Hospital this past weekend………

…..and then there was a book that I was given during the auction……and this makes my eyes leak as I type this……..

So many of you wrote such nice things in this book that Kevin (RagSS) Tom (The ‘lil weasel) and Brian (Hawkeye) put together -- it’s a journal and many people took the time to write such nice things about me. (…….see?! I have most of you fooled!…….)

What a great weekend.

What a great way to wrap up 6 long years of waiting for our Camaro to return.

I would be seriously negligent if I did not take the opportunity to thank the men and women of the Central Indiana Camaro Club -- for their hard work and months of planning to bring this weekend to you ……..those of you who put on shows know that this is a very hard task……..and I think they did a spectacular job!

In closing…….( see -- I remain long-winded….)

Thank you, again -- all of you -- for ‘Keeping the Faith’ -- for keeping the community alive and well --

……..and most importantly --

……….for your friendship.

Your Camaro Comrade and Firebird Friend……..

Scott

(aka Fbodfather)
(aka RedPlanet)
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
You ROCK dude!

Quick story about this guy. Someone walks up and says, "Scott, tell me about the exhaust", Scott proceeds with enthusiasm to tell all about the exhaust. Almost immediately someone else walks up...yup..."Hey Scott, what's going on with the exhaust?" Same enthusiasm, he tells the story about the exhaust.

Thanks for putting up with us, and tell the rest of the folks THANK YOU! You guys really do love this car. I heard true enthusiasm from each and every one of you. It was a great weekend.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
id hug you again if i could reach you
Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
All i can say is........ I appreciate all you and the team have done for us!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
awwwh, great post. Camaro enthusiasts are by far the greatest people in the world.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I really wish I could've been there to meet you and everyone else! Thanks so much for keeping this car alive!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Scott, I wanted to meet ya, and the final time I tried to get your attention, i was unable to, you were on a mission! But just a few short minutes later you buzzed toward me in the tent while you were in the red camaro as you were driving back to the truck. So I and we completely understand. I hope to meet you soon!

I will never forget this weekend, And thanks, for giving us so much to be excited about!

Last edited by Tantalizer43; 09-21-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Tantalizer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Scott,

In return, I would like to thank you for making this event so special……..

This is a weekend/event that I am never going to forget. I can’t remember how many times I had to pinch myself to remind me it was real… The car is stunning, a real class act.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
My favorite photo of the whole week, symbolic of the way most people there felt, I believe. I walked around the corner and saw the cars in person for the first time... This young lady was sitting in the car, and I thought, "Yup, my sentiments exactly!"

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 09-21-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
Scott, I have not met you... yet. Once i get my Camaro I'm going to make it a personal point to somehow find you and thank you for all you have done. I love the passion you as well as everyone else has for this car. To us it's more than a car, it's a friend in the form of hard work from you and many other people in the design team. For that I can't thank you enough. You are the greatest. Thanks for all the updates. Thanks for all your hard work. Thanks for all you have done.
I'm looking forward to meeting you, you crazy Camaro lover.

Taylor
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
Scott, I have not met you... yet. Once i get my Camaro I'm going to make it a personal point to somehow find you and thank you for all you have done. I love the passion you as well as everyone else has for this car. To us it's more than a car, it's a friend in the form of hard work from you and many other people in the design team. For that I can't thank you enough. You are the greatest. Thanks for all the updates. Thanks for all your hard work. Thanks for all you have done.
I'm looking forward to meeting you, you crazy Camaro lover.

Taylor
Couldn't have said it better, myself! We apreciate your passion, Mr. Settlemire!

While I'm only finally getting "plugged-in" to the Camaro Enthusiast Community, it is my new priority mission to get to know more of you from across the nation after I take delivery of my new SS.

And Scott, you'd better watch out - the next time I'm at a meet or GM show with my car, and you are there, look for the crazy dude hounding you relentlessly with a sharpie pen!

I WILL get your signature on my new car, AT ANY COST!!

THANK YOU Scott, the Indy Owners Club, the disciples, and the Camaro5 members for all your devotion, news, pictures, and posts here!!!

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 09-22-2008 at 12:09 AM.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Very nice words, the Camaro will be here soon and there will be many more smiles.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
Camaroman_99

Drives: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ditto!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 AM   #14
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
Thanks Scott!