Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #43
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Was it... White/ Red Bottom Stripes/ Red Top/ with Red Swivel Buckets......if it was.....you totaled my car!!....I miss that car!
It was white with red strips top was not red though and it did have swivels Yeah I miss that car as well
Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #44
RSHaynes

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Red face The Story of a '78 Malibu

Well, as a 34 year old man, a serious lurker of these forums, and a die hard chevy/camaro guy I couldn't pass up this thread.

My very first car was the first car I ever sat in the driver's seat of. In 1978 as a soon to be three year old, my parents custom ordered a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu V6 with leather interior, upgraded stereo (aka AM/FM Cassette) and a three speed on the floor. When that car was delivered I remember being at the dealership as a two year old boy standing in the driver's seat and accidentally hitting the horn. I actually remember it scaring the living daylights out of me. I can remember my dad laughing soflty at it, but still checking on me. It is the earliest memory I have.

As you can guess, the first car I ever drove was that '78 Malibu. It is how I learned how to drive, and since it was a stick shift, I didn't know that there was any other type of transmission. In the summer of 1991 with a learner's permit in my wallet, and my dad in the passenger seat, two VERY nervous guys went on the trip of a lifetime. The road trip started in Baltimore, MD, and our first stop was in Cooperstown, NY (the baseball Hall of Fame). From there we visited Niagra Falls, NY, and stayed the night in Buffalo, NY. This was my first time ever driving a car, and it was a stick shift (with a very stiff clutch as I remember). Our next stop was Canton, OH to visit the football Hall of Fame. We checked it out, and somewhere in West Virginia I relinquished the steering wheel to him (minus a few times he was driving in the state of NY where Dad got a speeding ticket, lol).

Fast forward to 1992. I am a 17 year old boy, a senior in high school, with divorced parents, but a very close connection with my dad (I did not live with him). As a typical teenager I think I NEED a car. So my dad buys a new car and gives me, you guessed it, the 1978 Chevy Malibu (now with 185,000 original miles on it). That car made me a Chevy boy/man. A sad day would come on 12-25-92 (that same year). My dad was killed in a single car accident in his new car (Mazda MX6). That car (the Malibu) that lasted for so long, and so many miles was STILL around. I made sure it was driven in the procession, and as a 17 year old I somehow was not denied driving it in that procession. That car NEVER let me down, and though it had its issues, was a very reliable car, and a part of some GREAT memories. I traded it in that year (mainly from family pressure) for a more reliable car to go to college.

What I neglected to mention was that for a short period of time, my Uncle (Dad's brother) had a 1980/1 (not sure I was 5, lol) Chevy Camaro Berlinetta while he was in the Navy. The car was left in my Nana's care while he was deployed in Okinowa, Japan (the years are vague, but I think it is '82/'83). I remember as a little boy talking her into driving it to get the mail (Uncle Michael said it need to be started and run every so-often). My favorite part was asking her to rev the engine, and to my delight she would! Later on my dad would buy the car from Uncle Mike and eventually wreck it. In fact I remember joking with my Dad about how it would be my first car. I remember now that it had to be a V8 just by the sound I remember it having.

My Nana (88) is still around and we still have fond memories of those days. That Malibu, and that Berlinetta are a part of me. That Malibu ended up going over 225,000 miles before getting traded in, and it was driven to the dealer for trade in late 1993 like it always had... not towed.

The whole Chevrolet experience has influenced me so much that I bought a '95 Camaro V-6, 5-speed brand new. I have since had a '97 Monte Carlo, an '01 Tahoe, and most importantly an '02 Camaro SS which I drive today (bought brand new). I was proud to drive one of the last Camaros ever to have been produced, but now I am eager to drive one of the new 5th generation Camaro's which has yet to be built.

Thank you GM, and Chevrolet for memories that will be a part of mine, and my childrens' lives forever.
RSHaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #45
TXISKING

Drives: '13 ZL1 725 rwhp / 700 ft lb tq
The list is longer than I have time at the moment. It will be a good test though, to go back and list them as others have done. I have had lots.

However just a quick note.

I owned 5 ( yes 5) 1972 Chevrolet C10 Shortbed Stepsides at one time.

Thought the wife was going to kill me when the last 3 showed up on the same day.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #46
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Dont have much of story but this truck is a 2002 3500 duramax/allison with 414,000 miles and counting i use it every week nearly pulling a 14 foot trailer needlessly to say its been one hell of a truck!!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #47
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
My Chevy story starts before I was born, I am told I was conceived in the backseat of a 55 Chevy. I was born 6 months after Mom and Dad where married and weighed 8lbs (pretty big to be 3 months premature-huh)

I had a toy pedal car as a child it was a Mustang-never liked the damn thing and wanted a Camaro. I remember as a child I loved Camaros, and no one in the family had one and I had never been around one.

As a teenager I wanted one bad, but could not afford one, I turned 16 in 1980 and bought a 68 Nova (6 cy 3 on the tree) for $400, it wasn't a Camaro but at least a Chevy. I didn't keep it long and traded for a 75 Nova with a bad motor. In 4 years I had 3 different engines, 4 transmissions and 2 rear-ends in it. It kept me in trouble. It was a small block 4 speed and I did alot of drag racing. It is still one of my favorite cars. I finally saved up enough money, sold the Nova and bought my first Camaro- 67 RS/SS 350 4 speed. This car stayed in the family 17 years. Since then I have had 17 F-Bodies of all generations except the 5th. I want one bad but with one son in college and the other will be next year I have to put it on hold for awhile. Maybe I can run upon a wrecked one after they have been out a year or so, or wait until the boys are out of college.

I have purchased 7 new vehicles in my life, all of them had a bowtie in the grill. I am biased and I know it, I can't help it. Both of my boys are also riding Chevies. My oldest is riding a Colbalt SS and my youngest a Z-R2. Hell even my company car is a Chevy, when I first started with the company 19 yrs ago they gave me a Ford, as soon as I had a choice I got a Chevy and I have had a Chevy Company car ever since.

I have had plenty of other cars over the years but I always come back. My wife had to have a Honda a few years ago. She got over that she is riding an Avalanche now.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
[QUOTE=djinva;1064686]My Chevy story starts before I was born, I am told I was conceived in the backseat of a 55 Chevy. I was born 6 months after Mom and Dad where married and weighed 8lbs (pretty big to be 3 months premature-huh)

Soooo...you were a BORN enthusiast!!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #49
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

+1
Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #50
autopat

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit, my entire family worked for GM. Every division, every brand, was covered, some engineers, some line workers, needless to say the whole family drove GM products. My Dad retired in 2003, from Pontiac Motor Division with 41 yrs, my Grandfather also retired from PMD with 30 yrs, my mom worked in the engine plant (plant 8) for 8 yrs, even while pregnant with my younger brother. I'm kind of a car nut, I've had over 350 in my 42 yrs on this earth, but my first Chevy was my favorite. It was a Marina Blue 65 Chevelle, I bought from my dad for $700, it had a million mile 307 in it, used to have to put at least a quart of oil in it every day, before I sold it I installed a 64 425 horse 409 in it, ran it one time at the track (11.94) and got "banned" for it. I'll never forget that car though. Got my first "booty call" in that car! Fun was had by all! I loves my GM products, I currently have 7, and I'm sure I won't be stopping anytime soon.

2010 2SS, IOM, IOI, CGM stripes, L99
1999 Astro van, LS
1995 Saturn SC2
1994 Saturn SC1
1992 Saturn SL2
1991 Daihatsu HiJet
1981 C10 Beater, with a heater, er..A/C
1973 Nova SS, 385 stroker, TH400, FOR SALE! (soon)
1966 Suburban, LS bound! Still in a million pieces
1965 C-10, Short, Wide, Big window, all roller 355
autopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #51
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
First "memory" that I guess I don't really remember was when my dad drove my mother home from the hospital after I was born with his brand new 1981 Corvette stingray

He was signing the papers when my mother went into labor and was taken to the hospital!

And my mom thought he was out buying a van

Best memory is hands down when my father and I raced the La Carrera Pan Americana Road Race in Mexico, a 2500 mile race from the Guatamala border to Texas in our 1965 Corvette Roadster. Best part was that we won the race!

Sad to say my father passed away in a car accident last year, but I am keeping his two Vette's (65 & 81) and will be racing in the La Carrera again, this time as a tribute to him
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #52
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Well there's 5 Chevy's in my stable, 2- Chevelle's, a k-5 Blazer, Silverado pickup and the Camaro. i guess I'm a Chevy guy

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the Siverado in the backround of this pic... never had a reason to take a pic of it on it's own

3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #53
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
My funniest Chevy Memory came from a Gymkhanna I had entered back in 1971 with my 1965 Corvair 500 4 Door Hardtop. 110 horsepower, three speed manual tranmission.

I was in a class with Volvos and Saabs. During our practice laps, the rear end got loose on some sand and I smacked the right rear Quarter Panel against a Lightpole next to the track.

By the time I came around to the Start Finish line, all of the oil had dumped from the engine.

I pulled into the pits, opened the rear engine cover and found I had bent the rear engine mount and broken off the oild filter housing. Since this car was technically owned by my Father at the time (I was in college), I know I was in deep trouble.

Some buddies and I knew where there was a junked Corvair nearby at a gas station. I went in and offered to by the oil filter housing from him. He accepted my offer and we were off to the races that day.

When I got home that night I parked the car across the street from the house so my Dad wouldn't see the damage. Went back to the Course the next day and placed Third in my class (out of five cars).

I caught holy hell later that day when my Dad saw the car. Ouch.

Long Personal history with Chevys. Impalas, Celebritys, Corvair, Biscayne, and four Camaros.

Last edited by greenrail; 10-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #54
diddiyo

Drives: .
nope. I just appreciate good and fun cars. If it's a Chevy that's cool, but if not oh well.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #55
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
My first car was a 71 chevelle malibu 350, I have had alot of chevys, still have three, Camaro, 84 chevy p/u 4x4 with 400hp engine(just for fun) and the duramax.My husband has the duramax diesel which is bad a** in itself, he pulled a friend of ours half loaded dump truck out of the mud that was almost completely burried up to the rear axles with the duramax, made a dodge man a believer of chevy's after that!
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #56
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

There has to be some GREAT Holiday stories......
Becky
Attached Images

Last edited by JoeP@TeamBeckyD; 12-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.