Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
I've been driving a v8 for 15 years now and I love it very much, but I can no longer afford it. Was very concerned that a v6 just wouldn't cut it for me, but I had chance to test drive a v6 auto and it was as fast as my v8, just not as much torque. I will miss that sweet v8 rumble but you have to buy what you can afford.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust

Last edited by KFH; 06-04-2009 at 11:54 PM.
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
I used to drive my friends 4th gen v6 5 speed and that sucker was fun to drive! I'm sure the 2LT will blow the doors off that. =)
Doors, Windows, Hood, and probably trunk too.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #17
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
I was kind of worried about this issue as well... I liked the perks of the RS package and the 2LT, but I also wanted the power of the 1SS. There was NO way that I could afford the 2SS, so I sat back and analyzed... My first car is a Ford Focus that I bought when I graduated highschool. It is simple and plain...BORING! I'm talking power nothing! It has a sunroof that has to be cranked... I look like an out of place goat roper driving down the highway... I've finally paid it off, graduated with my Master's of Science, and now it is time for a REAL car! Something to show for working hard, something to turn heads! While it would be fun to have the torque of that V8, I ultimately can't justify it when I consider I'd have to give up my RS, automatic transmission, sunroof, racing stripes--EVERYTHING I'm really drawn to (Minus the auto... I only chose that for the remote start). The whole point of all of that was for you to think long and hard about what you really want... You may be giving up a little power, but you're gaining a little style, and vice versa. Plus, budget has a lot to do with it... How much are you going to be enjoying a car when the loan/insurance payments are too much, or gas prices have sky rocketed and you are scraping by because of one choice...

I know that sounded extremely biased, I didn't mean for it to, LOL! I just hope it helps!!!

P.S. I may have had a little bit to drink... =P

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
People talk about the sound of the V8 but I'm getting the V6 based on the sound. Much more tight and modern to my ear. I don't want my new car to sound like an old one.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Bull

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/IBM/Beige
My thoughts...V8 and V6 top at 155mph, the V6 just might take a couple (2) extra seconds to get there. The 2LT you can get all the bells and whistles cheaper than a 1SS, plus the insurance, plus if gas goes back to $4 a gallon would you be able to afford the Premium gas the V8 suggests?

Unless you're racing, the 304HP V6 should do just fine. My thoughts anyways...
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Camaro is Camaro regardless of what is under the hood... But seriously at 2LT/RS might run your similar to a 1SS without RS so your pick from their...

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #21
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
The way I look at it.... I'm in it for the looks! What is under the hood makes no difference to me since with the V6's 304 HP it's all I'll need to blow away any Mustang that feels like challenging me. That, and I just find it hard to justify the $7,000 Canadian Price difference between a loaded 1LT / RS and a Base 1SS / RS with similar options.

LT = Buying for Looks!
SS = Buying for Ego and Bragging rights!
don't get too cocky there little buddy!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #22
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
My thoughts...V8 and V6 top at 155mph, the V6 just might take a couple (2) extra seconds to get there. The 2LT you can get all the bells and whistles cheaper than a 1SS, plus the insurance, plus if gas goes back to $4 a gallon would you be able to afford the Premium gas the V8 suggests?

Unless you're racing, the 304HP V6 should do just fine. My thoughts anyways...
2 extra seconds?? c'mon now. There's no need to lie to yourself.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #23
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
2 extra seconds?? c'mon now. There's no need to lie to yourself.
agreed. The SS is way stronger and have crazy potential.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've posted it many times, having had both in the garage for 3 months.

The V8 is absolutely awesome, but it is what you expect. It doesn't surprise you. If you've driven a small block chevy in anything, you are just getting that in about as good a form as GM has ever done. But!!!!!!!! I never went OMG this is so much more than I expected. It was exactly what I expected.

But every single time, and I mean that honestly, I would switch back to Number 3 my first thought was always, "man this is such a surprise".

Unless you are street racing or doing burnouts (and the V6 is no slouch there) the only real reason to buy the V8 is the extra kick when you put your right foot down and the wonderful sound associated with that activitiy.

All that being said, you do not want to get in your Camaro and ever think, "man, I should have had V8".

Both cars are great and I can guarantee the V6 is fun to drive.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #25
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I've posted it many times, having had both in the garage for 3 months.

The V8 is absolutely awesome, but it is what you expect. It doesn't surprise you. If you've driven a small block chevy in anything, you are just getting that in about as good a form as GM has ever done. But!!!!!!!! I never went OMG this is so much more than I expected. It was exactly what I expected.

But every single time, and I mean that honestly, I would switch back to Number 3 my first thought was always, "man this is such a surprise".

Unless you are street racing or doing burnouts (and the V6 is no slouch there) the only real reason to buy the V8 is the extra kick when you put your right foot down and the wonderful sound associated with that activitiy.

All that being said, you do not want to get in your Camaro and ever think, "man, I should have had V8".

Both cars are great and I can guarantee the V6 is fun to drive.

Thanks for the input Number 3. You make feel all warm and cozzy inside when I think about the v6 I think the LT is plenty for me.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #26
jgr
ironhead

Drives: 2004 silverado diesel 2010ss
Go for it all 2ss. Dont be scared. lol. good luck.
jgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
Tecca

Drives: ...
I have had my 2LT for two weeks now, there isn't a minute that goes by that I don't regret getting it. Yesterday was the first time I saw and drove a SS, started her up she purrs a little louder, puts you back in the seat but so does the 6er, and I absolutly hate the front cowel seeing it in person. Plus I save a crap load of money that I can use to make her mine with mods and stuff that I wouldn't be able to if I got a V8.

I am extreamly happy with my 2LT and wouldn't trade it for a SS if I had the opportunity.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #28
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
I have had my 2LT for two weeks now, there isn't a minute that goes by that I don't regret getting it.
You REALLY said that wrong! (Shows the danger of using double negatives :-)
camero is offline   Reply With Quote