Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
Lowering Springs?

Hey everyone, I've been told that adding lowering springs to your ride is a must when picking up a new Camaro. My 1LT 2012 is being built right now and I'm considering it. I have three questions: 1)can anyone recommend some springs for me to use (link please?) 2)Can I have this installed by the dealer upon arrival? 3)What is the true use for these? Are they really a must?

Thank you for the help!!!
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I don't know all the technical aspect of it...but lots of people just like the look of the car lowered a bit. Me personally will never lower mine... I scrape all the time.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
1) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83
2) Depends on your dealer.
3) Appearance and removes most of the boat/truck feel when going around a turn. (You will needs some extra suspension parts if you're doing it for handling.

Yes they are a must!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I wouldn't let anyone tell you what is a must... they didn't buy the car and aren't handing you cash for the upgrades. I'd consider lowering springs a look upgrade more than anything. It really does look better lowered a bit. It will help the handling some because it lowers the center of gravity of the car and the springs are a little stiffer than the stock ones. It will make the bumps a little more harsh, but not too bad according to most of the feedback I've heard. Everyone seems to like their lowering springs and I don't really recall a bad review about a certain brand. The big names around here in springs are Pedders, Phadt, Hotchkis, BMR and Eibach. I don't have any yet... but when I do I'm planning on using Apex. Their customer service is fantastic, and they ship very quickly. I'd take my time to look around some at All of our wonderful sponsors though... if you go to the homepage you can see the sponsors list from there.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
I wouldn't let anyone tell you what is a must... they didn't buy the car and aren't handing you cash for the upgrades. I'd consider lowering springs a look upgrade more than anything. It really does look better lowered a bit. It will help the handling some because it lowers the center of gravity of the car and the springs are a little stiffer than the stock ones. It will make the bumps a little more harsh, but not too bad according to most of the feedback I've heard. Everyone seems to like their lowering springs and I don't really recall a bad review about a certain brand. The big names around here in springs are Pedders, Phadt, Hotchkis, BMR and Eibach. I don't have any yet... but when I do I'm planning on using Apex. Their customer service is fantastic, and they ship very quickly. I'd take my time to look around some at All of our wonderful sponsors though... if you go to the homepage you can see the sponsors list from there.
what he said

lowering springs, great look for the car (IMO not considered a MUST)
new swaybars , this is a must and improves handling a LOT.

both is even better.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
If you do lower your car please consider where you will be driving first. Steep entrances to driveways or parking lots can be a pain to not scrape. If there are a lot of potholes in your area, you will really feel the hit hard since you now have less shock travel. If you have a lot of speed bumps you have to ease your front tire off of them or you will bottom out right behind the tire. If you go over something with a peak to it you can really scrape hard. I love my car lowered and together with some other suspension goodies I like the way it handles now way better than stock and like the looks. Just be very aware that depending on where you typically drive that you may be trading the lowered looks for some scrapes and bangs.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
I have the Eibach pro kit, you should do it very nice mod and makes a world of difference...
Try your dealer for the install more than likely they will not do it though...Look for a reasonable shop around you or check with our sponsor section here. You may find one near you.

It only lowers about an inch and makes it look awesome..
Here is my 1LT with them installed...

Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
If you do lower your car please consider where you will be driving first. Steep entrances to driveways or parking lots can be a pain to not scrape. If there are a lot of potholes in your area, you will really feel the hit hard since you now have less shock travel. If you have a lot of speed bumps you have to ease your front tire off of them or you will bottom out right behind the tire. If you go over something with a peak to it you can really scrape hard. I love my car lowered and together with some other suspension goodies I like the way it handles now way better than stock and like the looks. Just be very aware that depending on where you typically drive that you may be trading the lowered looks for some scrapes and bangs.
^^^This pretty much sums it up^^^
And I'm in the same boat as you,I actually work very closely with a suspension supplier quite a bit,who has not only offered me FREE 1" lowering springs but has also offered to install them, and do the alignment afterwards at no charge to me.
I'm torn,I like the stock look,but I also like the way cars such as Jamie Mac's look after being lowered an 1",as he mentioned you have to take into account where you will be driving,around here we have lots of potholes! and even if there are no potholes the roads here are not exactly "glass smooth" as they are down South or out West.
I would recommend seeing if you can find someone around you that has one lowered,and see if you can go for a ride,or better yet if they will let you take it for a little drive so you can see first hand if you like it,and if its acceptable to you

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yes, read all of the above posts and really take everything into account.The V6 shocks will help greatly in the ride as they are softer then the V8's but the firmer abrupt feel over certain bumps is there and the usual more frequent up and down wheel movement with lower springs ofer the road irregularities is there also
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Drive your new camaro for a few months first to learn what it feels like. You will appreciate the mods more. Yes, lowering is a must. Otherwise you are driving a donk.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
SS_RS11

Drives: '13 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange5thGen View Post
I have the Eibach pro kit, you should do it very nice mod and makes a world of difference...
Try your dealer for the install more than likely they will not do it though...Look for a reasonable shop around you or check with our sponsor section here. You may find one near you.

It only lowers about an inch and makes it look awesome..
Here is my 1LT with them installed...

Wow this looks absolutely perfect! This pick has me sold i was very close to purchasing the bmr springs but hadnt found a pick like this. i also have the SS/RS package just like this but in black..
SS_RS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_RS11 View Post
Wow this looks absolutely perfect! This pick has me sold i was very close to purchasing the bmr springs but hadnt found a pick like this. i also have the SS/RS package just like this but in black..
Eibach is a 1" drop so any spring that will lower you to that will get you the same look. BMR sells a 1" spring as well. Pfadt is very popular but is a 1.25" drop and you have to cut the bumpstops. I had Hotchkis 1" until I got my coilovers.

As far as the dealer...even if they will do the install you'll be paying extra because it is a dealership. Same will go with the alignment you'll need afterwards....the dealership will charge more than going else where.

Something else you'll want to make sure to do is to have the bushings "timed" after lowering the car. Do a search.....plenty of info out there about how to have them do that. Don't assume whoever installs your springs or aligns your car will automatically time the bushings either. It's more work so you'll have to pay for it.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
LewiSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/White Stripe
Anybody have a 1" drop in the front? I want to see what that looks like!
ARH 1-7/8" Longtubes w/cats, Borla ATAK catback, CAI Inc intake, RX inferno orange ported throttle body, RX inferno orange catch can, Hurst Shifter, JDP Motorsports heater hoses and fuel line, PFadt strut tower brace, PFadt lowering springs, PFadt Tie Rods, PFadt Trailing Arms, PFadt end links, Custom Painted interior pieces.
LewiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewiSS View Post
Anybody have a 1" drop in the front? I want to see what that looks like!
I don't have a head on front picture with the drop yet, but I have this angle. You have plenty of clearance with a 1 inch.

Eibach 1"... it is a bit more noticeable in person than it is in pictures. I didn't want to go any further than 1". A lot of bumps in my city, but it looks great....

BEFORE

AFTER

Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote