Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Some of you guys crack me up ... I hate to burst your bubble but if you are a blue collar worker, you are not the target market for the Vette. The average joe making 35K a year would not be able to afford a 70K Vette and keep a roof over his, and his family's head and food on the table. The Camaro is reachable and GM knows this, just as Ford know the same about the Mustang. It has nothing to do with muscle car Vs. sports car or which one is faster. It's all about market value Vs. household income.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Some of you guys crack me up ... I hate to burst your bubble but if you are a blue collar worker, you are not the target market for the Vette. The average joe making 35K a year would not be able to afford a 70K Vette and keep a roof over his, and his family's head and food on the table. The Camaro is reachable and GM knows this, just as Ford know the same about the Mustang. It has nothing to do with muscle car Vs. sports car or which one is faster. It's all about market value Vs. household income.
Well put, I have to agree with this guy

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:

Agreed. The Camaro is the "poor man's" vette.

Although , I probably would have bought a 'vette instead of the camaro but I needed 4 seats (not 2) which is another consideration as I wanted my family with me when I go out for a drive.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #18
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastscout View Post
Currently own both here, blue collar all the way. and correct me if I am wrong but 2012 will have a camaro that will beat a vette, at least base and Grand sport versions.
Lol at comparing the base model of one car line against the highest model (that costs more than double the base model) of another car line. You sound like a Mustang guy.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
I think you're really young and just don't realize how iconic the Corvette will ALWAYS be. There's no arguement here. Just a REALLY silly discussion.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Not gonna turn this into an arguement.
I don't make $35,000 a year I triple that. And a guy that makes $35,000 a year isn't gonna be able to afford a $35,000 Camaro either.
All I'm saying is...if you take a look at real world buyers. They are average Blue collar workers. Unless were talking ZR-1.
I guess a $55,000 dollar ZL-1 is for a white collar worker?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I have both and I completely agree that there is a different mindset for both. Even after spending time on forums for both cars, the attitude between both is apparent. To me, I have come to enjoy my Camaro more based on the age demographic that seems to be a part of this forum. I'm in a Corvette club, and I am the youngest member by an easy 10-15 years. Beyond the loves of cars, I just don't have nearly as much in common with the Vette crowd and I do with my Camaro brothers. I don't put myself in any particular "collar" class, but when it comes down to it I can afford either car and have chosen to go with Camaro. I will be trading in my Vette, my previous dream car, for my new dream, the ZL1. I never thought this day would come, but at the end of the day I just get more enjoyment out of my Camaro on a more regular basis. At some point, I will have another Vette in my garage, but for now I have made my decision.

THat being said, there is a much more elitist attitude from some Vette owners, much more than the V6 vs V8 debates that go on here. I guess that goes with the white collar mentality. I don't run into it much in person, but on their forums it is clear that there are classes. There are hard working guys that bought their Vette after retirement, working their whole lives to afford their dream, and then there are the elitist snobs that paid $130,000 for a ZR-1 just to say they did.

The Corvette will always be Chevy's flagship car and will always have its followers, so will the Camaro. At the end of the day, I just enjoy driving fast, powerful cars made by the General.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
SteveTaylor

Drives: 2012 2SS L99
To me the vette is world class performance & ride.
Camaro is sleek modern muscle..
Vette runs 11's out of the box, Camaro is heavy & needs mods to run 11's

Corvette will always be heads & shoulders over the Camaro.
Vette is sport muscle w/ mature class
Camaro is street muscle with raw youth

How's that!
SteveTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
jbob1981

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS
[QUOTE='11 cyber grey vert;4140534]Agreed. The Camaro is the "poor man's" vette.

I have to disagree that the Camaro is the "poor man's" vette. Chevy released the Camaro in 1967 to compete with the Ford Mustang, not to be a cheaper Corvette.

A new SS Camaro can have a price tag above $40,000, that is not a poor mans car.
jbob1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
[QUOTE=jbob1981;4140596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
Agreed. The Camaro is the "poor man's" vette.

I have to disagree that the Camaro is the "poor man's" vette. Chevy released the Camaro in 1967 to compete with the Ford Mustang, not to be a cheaper Corvette.

A new SS Camaro can have a price tag above $40,000, that is not a poor mans car.
Agreed the loaded SS or the new ZL1 are not "poor man's" car but you can't compare a stripped down LS to the "vette", they are 2 totally different beasts.
My statement was aimed more at the base model than anything,comparing base model camaro to base model vette

There is a place and market for both the Camaro and Vette.
and yes I absolutely love my camaro and have met other fantastic camaro enthusiants.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I like both Vettes and Camaros.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #26
jbob1981

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS
[QUOTE='11 cyber grey vert;4140623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob1981 View Post

Agreed the loaded SS or the new ZL1 are not "poor man's" car but you can't compare a stripped down LS to the "vette", they are 2 totally different beasts.
My statement was aimed more at the base model than anything,comparing base model camaro to base model vette

There is a place and market for both the Camaro and Vette.
and yes I absolutely love my camaro and have met other fantastic camaro enthusiants.
I understand there is a market for both cars. I just don't understand why people always try to compare both cars to each other. It is not an apples to apples comparision. It is like comparing beef to chicken, they both meats, but are very different.
jbob1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #27
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
This is like comparing apples to oranges. Both cars are in different markets. They both can be as expensive or inexpensive depending on how you order both from the factory. They both are meant to handle and perform differently. Also you say poor mans car rich mans car? I call that a bunch of BS to an extent, because these days it boils down to who has better credit and gets the better deal on a loan to justify buying the car. Personally I think the camaro is a better car. The corvette doesn't really do too much for me, but that is my opinion and I am free to think what I want.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #28
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Two different cars, two different markets. I've seen people switch from the 'vette to a camaro. Because the camaro is better? No. If anything because the camaro is ever so slightly more practical.