Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Talking Hey GM, how do we get a “Track” test drive of the Z/28?

I have spent the last few years converting my SS into a track car. I have spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours researching/installing parts to make it as capable as my budget will allow. Hell, the day it was announced, I had to hear about it through a text message because I was in the garage upgrading more parts and getting the car ready for a track event that Friday. I do 7-8 track events a year here in the Midwest. I know there are others just like me who have gone or go even further with their modifications and track time.

GM says the Z/28 is a track specific car and it will be visiting some tracks this summer. Now, we all know that dealers are NOT going to let us test drive these cars the way that they will be driven on the track, therefore, what I would like to know is, how do those of us that are truly interested in this car can find out what tracks the Z/28 will be visiting in order to either test drive or get a test ride?

Now, I am not looking to open this up to folks who are thinking of buying this for the street, only those of us that are true track rats. This, according to GM, is going to be a significant investment and personally I just want to be sure before I plunk down that kind of money. I would like to see how it compares to my car and the investments/modifications I have made to it.

So, Fbodfather, Mark Stielow, Ed Wellburn, Al Oppenheiser, John Fitzpatrick, et al., how does one get an invitation or at least find out which track it will be at so we can arrange to be there?

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
I would say they will just let you read and see videos of it lapping courses like the rest of the Camaros for sale (no open track days across the planet).?.? :-( Or hope your buddy buys one so you can "borrow" it... lol Or maybe a friend at a magazine.?.?

A friend in the Viper club went to Charlotte for the 2013 release event. They drove the SRT models, including the Viper, on the track/road course, autocross course, and drag strip! They also got to drive them on the streets. Doubt if that kind of thing would happen with a Camaro. Corvette, maybe...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
A friend in the Viper club went to Charlotte for the 2013 release event. They drove the SRT models, including the Viper, on the track/road course, autocross course, and drag strip! They also got to drive them on the streets.
This is the kind of thing I am talking about. I would not care if we did anything besides the track/road course but would be very interested in that.

Videos and lap times can tell me what "others" can do and their opinions but does not tell me how I think the car feels/reacts to my driving style.

Besides, if this is as expensive as they say it is going to be, would you let your friend lap it around the track?

They invited some folks out to VIR for the ZL1 release. All I am asking is to be one of the ones for the Z/28 event.

Hell, my avatar pic is my old Z/28 RS.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
I read in an article (Car and Driver?) that they will be touring the Z/28 around to track events. Whatever that means...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
I read in an article (Car and Driver?) that they will be touring the Z/28 around to track events. Whatever that means...
I hope they do this, because if the car is as good as they say it is, a tour of track events will make converts out of all the track rats.

GM or it's dealers need to arrange test drive events at track days. There's a track organization called Hooked on Driving that recently had a track day sponsored by McLaren. Believe it or not, McLaren was letting participants do hot laps around Sonoma Raceway in their MP4-12C. If that's not a great way to win customers over, I don't know what is.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote