Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
CamaroZR1

Drives: '10 Jetstream Blue RS-SS S/C'D
Send a message via MSN to CamaroZR1 Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroZR1
Advice---Supercharged L99, S/C'd LS3 or LS9?

I know as soon as I pick up my Camaro, Im not leaving it stock...So im trying to get opions here. Im getting the Auto and Im gonna swap out the 6L80 (and put it in my truck) for a 6L90. But I don't know what engine to use.

Do I use the L99 and mod and S/C that engine?
Or special order the LS3 into my automatic Camaro insted, then pretty much build the engine into a LS9 (which is way cheaper than actually getting a real LS9)?
Or just go and get a real LS9 into it from the start?

I think putting in the LS9 is my best bet, b/c i need a new engine in my '38 anyways. Then i would put the LS3 from the Camaro into my '38 as opposed to buying a LS3 or LSX for the '38.
Keep in mind, the camaro will be my daily driver. Alot of advice i get is to keep the LS3 in the Camaro and put the LS9 in the '38, but i want one hell of a daily driver (better than my '38 seeing how i only it 30min or so a month). Plus I would like my Camaro to stand out among most other gen5 Camaros, and capible of beating most of the old guys and rich kids in my area in a drag race.
Next Year-2010 (sp. order) Camaro RS-SS, Jetstream Blue, (maybe white SS stripes), 6L90, and probably LS9...oh and my Speed Racer license plate frame.
CamaroZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroZR1 View Post
I know as soon as I pick up my Camaro, Im not leaving it stock...So im trying to get opions here. Im getting the Auto and Im gonna swap out the 6L80 (and put it in my truck) for a 6L90. But I don't know what engine to use.

Do I use the L99 and mod and S/C that engine?
Or special order the LS3 into my automatic Camaro insted, then pretty much build the engine into a LS9 (which is way cheaper than actually getting a real LS9)?
Or just go and get a real LS9 into it from the start?

I think putting in the LS9 is my best bet, b/c i need a new engine in my '38 anyways. Then i would put the LS3 from the Camaro into my '38 as opposed to buying a LS3 or LSX for the '38.
Keep in mind, the camaro will be my daily driver. Alot of advice i get is to keep the LS3 in the Camaro and put the LS9 in the '38, but i want one hell of a daily driver (better than my '38 seeing how i only it 30min or so a month). Plus I would like my Camaro to stand out among most other gen5 Camaros, and capible of beating most of the old guys and rich kids in my area in a drag race.
If it's going to be a project, I'd consider getting the V6, selling the motor, and buying something unexpected, like the LS7 or a 383 stroker. Bore and stroke it; then get some internals; slap on a supercharger.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Blur,

get a V8...

We've been through this......

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
CamaroZR1,

If you've got the cash... the LS9 is a no brainer! I'd go that route all day long and twice on sunday.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
CamaroZR1,

If you've got the cash... the LS9 is a no brainer! I'd go that route all day long and twice on sunday.
He'll need $20k plus I'm thinking just for the LS9 and everything needed to make it fit.

Hopefully he posts a thread with pics showing the swap project.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
CamaroZR1

Thank you both.
The Cash isnt a problem.
I wouldnt get the V6 for two reasons:
1) I want the extras that come with the SS models.
2) If I drop in an LS9, then I can take the LS3 that i took out of the Camaro and put it in my '38 pick-up.

The V6 is a great engine for a 6cyl, but i want a S/C'd V8 muscle car. I would love to see someone come out with Twin Turbo V-6 though.

As for the LS7, im scared to boost it really. I hear the LS3 can handle boost better cuz its better reinforced...ergo the S/C'd LS9 built off of the more reinforced LS3 as opposed the LS2 like the LS7.

Dealer told me it would be about 11k with the LS9 ordered in it by his estimates..,so 20k to actually buy the engine as a crate with all the fixens sounds about right.
Next Year-2010 (sp. order) Camaro RS-SS, Jetstream Blue, (maybe white SS stripes), 6L90, and probably LS9...oh and my Speed Racer license plate frame.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
As for the LS7, im scared to boost it really. I hear the LS3 can handle boost better cuz its better reinforced...ergo the S/C'd LS9 built off of the more reinforced LS3 as opposed the LS2 like the LS7.

Dealer told me it would be about 11k with the LS9 ordered in it by his estimates..,so 20k to actually buy the engine as a crate with all the fixens sounds about right.
I think 11k is pretty low. Last I checked an LS7 was about 13k from GM. The LS9 is a pretty fancy motor so I'd expect it to be more than a crate LS7.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Quote:
since when can we special order engines? in that case, give me an lsx in my next aveo lol if cash isn't an issue i would buy an ls9 cuz it's all put together and you know everything will work right. otherwise, i would build up on an ls3 and that way you can really feel like it's your creation. then i'd put some other sort of crate engine in the '38, like a zz4 350 and bore and stroke it
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
CamaroZR1

Well that was a quote for pretty much an upgrade. It would be around 11k on top of the MSRP price of the 38k (or whatever the price is) Camaro SS if it had been with the LS3. So 11k upgrade + price of LS3, should about be the price of crate LS9.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
since when can we special order engines? in that case, give me an lsx in my next aveo lol if cash isn't an issue i would buy an ls9 cuz it's all put together and you know everything will work right. otherwise, i would build up on an ls3 and that way you can really feel like it's your creation. then i'd put some other sort of crate engine in the '38, like a zz4 350 and bore and stroke it
You can order any engine you want....from GMPP.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Blur,

get a V8...

We've been through this......

I'm getting a V8. I'm just suggesting that project Camaros use ridiculously unstreetable V8s. I want NASA satellites to be able to see Camaro burnouts from space.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 09-02-2008 at 04:13 PM.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Nevermind.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Nevermind.
you too merf?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Sounds like you've got a lot planned.

If your dealer wasn't kidding you, you ought to order an LS9 and put the L99 in your 38. Even though I think you could supercharge your L99 just fine.

You'll have to let us all know how much you spend and if this all works out because I think it sounds rather ambitious and would be pretty impressive to see this actually come to fruition.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote