Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #85
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not true. The cider drinkers love Apple.
true story
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #86
jordan 572

Drives: none
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

look at the location part. so it has a compass and gps or what?
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #87
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #88
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I settled the PC vs. Mac argument.

I bought a MacBook Pro.

I run Windows 7 on it.

Therefore I have Apple's build quality and Microsoft's lack of compatibility issues.

Ha.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #89
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
everyone hates apple. how do you guys know what more they could have done did you design it? how do you know what kind of software it will have. Everyone wants this everyone wants that but you still want it for 200 bucks. Why do oyou think they used an led instead of an oled. Maybe so they can sll it for 500 dollars. I cant wait to pick one up.
Yes, I hate Apple. Even though my first computer was a Mac, and I returned to Apple after two Dells.

Just because people want to see improvement over a mediocre design, it doesn't mean they hate the company.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #90
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

look at the location part. so it has a compass and gps or what?
Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Its "Assisted GPS", which means that it triangulates your position based on what cell towers you're near. My Blackberry does the same thing on Google Maps until the actual GPS signal is established. This isn't very accurate and only puts you in a 1000 foot radius blip on the map. For the wi-fi version, it can only establish your city based on your IP information. It won't get much more accurate than that.

The digital compass works in conjunction with the accelerometer.

So, if you're lost in Manhattan then you can probably find yourself on a map to get where you need to go. If you're lost in the woods, all you got is the compass and 10 hours of battery life to get you out
jcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #91
mattbaer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
Apple computers are way better than any PC imo. No viruses is one of the best things. And I am a graphic designer so a mac is the only way to go, not to mention macs look awesome.
You should go to my school. the macs are infested with at lest 10 virus. every time they wipe them and re-image them a week later all infested again. we take the flash drives to pc to clean them.
mattbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #92
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaer View Post
You should go to my school. the macs are infested with at lest 10 virus. every time they wipe them and re-image them a week later all infested again. we take the flash drives to pc to clean them.
I have never had one problem with my mac. And I have never heard of anyone I know that has gotten a virus, and I go to art school so everyone uses macs.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #93
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I still fail to understand how this is going to be better than Kindle for reading books.... the Kindle has an e-ink display and the battery can last quite a while. This still has an LCD (or is it OLED?) which after a while will strain the eyes (trust me, I look at LCD screens all day at work).

That being said.... I'm still inexplicably drawn to this thing....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #94
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
I have never had one problem with my mac. And I have never heard of anyone I know that has gotten a virus, and I go to art school so everyone uses macs.
Only a matter of time really. The more popular Macs get, the more viruses will start coming out for them.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #95
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
I still fail to understand how this is going to be better than Kindle for reading books.... the Kindle has an e-ink display and the battery can last quite a while. This still has an LCD (or is it OLED?) which after a while will strain the eyes (trust me, I look at LCD screens all day at work).

That being said.... I'm still inexplicably drawn to this thing....
It is LCD, not OLED. Later generations may use OLED but for now the cost is not effective for a 9" screen. A 21" OLED TV costs $2500!!!

For e-books, I would say that the Kindle or Nook is better reading wise. E-ink uses next to no energy and can get a very good contrast for easy reading. But if you want e-books and more, then iPad is perfect. The Kindle DX is almost as big as the iPad but is almost the same price, too.

I don't think eye strain will be an issue. From a foot away or more, LCDs don't cause much issue anymore. The only time I have eye strain is from my iPod touch since its so small and sometimes you're playing a game for 15-20 minutes before realizing it. The larger screen of the iPad should eliminate this issue.

All that
jcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #96
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sadly, I admit that even a giant ipod touch has appeal. I use my iPhone for a lot of web surfing from the couch and even with my readers, it is not ideal.

A giant ipod touch would address that. But the cost needs to be for that convenience, not for simply a coolness factor.

But if the one post correct that flash player is not included then it might be a deal breaker. That to me is the single biggest drawback to my iphone.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #97
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
Time for a little education on Mac Viruses.

There are no known OS X Viruses in the wild. Apple offered 25k to the first hacker who could write one that has an executable code that attaches itself to a program or file, just as the viruses do in Windows and spread. To this date the prize has not been claimed. There are hundreds of thousands of windows viruses and there are a handful of Mac OS 9 viruses but still none for OSX. This has nothing to do with popularity it has to do with the file system and kernel on the Mac OSX. (unix based). It’s is a well architected OS compared to windows. Is it unhackible? No.

Did you know Microsoft found a security hole in Windows 7 that has been in their OS since 1995? Let me type that again…. 1995…. This just goes to show you that MS just builds crap on top of crap. Lip stick on a pig. Look at Windows 7 - It is windows vista with a few enhancements and a fix for UAC. Yay. Get back to me when they launch WinFS… Been waiting 8 years already.

Viruses on the whole are on the way down. Trojans and Spyware is where it is at these days and 99.9% of the time it is because of the browser and not the OS and IE is just a pig....
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #98
mattbaer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
on my flash wed night had to clean off 2 viruses after I took it out of the mac from school. they are out there.
mattbaer is offline   Reply With Quote